News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thread starter as moderator

Started by 71charger_fan, August 10, 2005, 08:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

Can it be set up so that the member that starts a thread has the power of a moderator for that particular thread?  Let that member delete postings in that thread that are off topic.  For instance if someone asks to see pictures of second gen cars with Cragars and some post whore pops in with "here's my 66 with steelies" why can't the person that started the thread delete that post as it in no way addresses the original request?  We saw this all the time on the old board and I believe off topic replies inhibit people from getting the information that had originally requested.  If I'm thinking of repainting my car and ask to see third gens in some particular color it does me no good to see someone's 66-70 in that color, let me delete that post.  I imagine it would save space on your server in the long run and maybe even let the site run faster.  If I want to know if anyone has installed a modern CD player in the dash of a third gen, knowing someone put one in the glove compartment of their 68 isn't even remotely helpful.  Just a thought, not to mention airing a pet peeve.

Charger_Fan

To me, it certainly does sound like your pet peeve. With forums, it's sort of the nature of the beast to have one's threads derailed.

Would you rather start a thread with "modern CD player in a 3rd gen" & have maybe 2 on topic responses & then be buried under a bunch of other topics quickly?
Or would you rather have a few off topic responses, while the thread stays at the top where more members can see your initial question...and possibly get more than 2 on topic responses as a result?

Personally, I would think that if you deleted unwanted posts from your threads, you're gonna piss people off after a while.

Just my .02

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Troy

Yes, *technically* I could allow it. However, it opens ip a whole realm of ways to abuse power. What happens when somoene starts deleting posts of everyone they don't like or anyone who doesn't exactly agree with them? We'd have little wars between the kiddies of deleting each other's posts and keeping score. What happens if someone gets upset and leaves the site but decides to be a jerk and delete every post from every thread they started? Part of the benefit of this forum is that most things never get deleted. You never know where some great information will end up - whether it's useful for you or maybe someone else who is just reading along. The responsibility of keeping things under control falls on the mods and admins and we can be very specific about what is allowed and what isn't. We also take the blame. Accountability is too hard to enforce when several hundred (or thousand) people have control over the content on the web site.

There are a couple of other solutions:
1. We can set up certain areas as "Topic Solved". This way the original poster can pick the best answer to a question, highlight it, and also let everyone know that they no longer need an answer. This won't keep other from posting but it shows the "best" response so others can quickly get answers. (It may also show certain people that their answers are rarely ever helpful.)
2. We can enable "Karma". This allows members to rate other members on their general helfulness/attitude - or lack thereof. I've been avoiding it for the same reason I mentioned above (people could abuse it).

Nothing will really be ideal to everyone but I try to keep it as fair and open as possible.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

71charger_fan

Fair enough.  I can't begin to guess how many times I've seen someone jump in on a thread when it's obvious they didn't even really read the original posting.  I just thought it would be nice to be able to delete some of the pointless drivel that seems to come from some folks who equate post count with importance.  Thanks for the well thought out and articulate response.

Troy

Quote from: 71charger_fan on August 10, 2005, 08:02:07 PM
Fair enough.  I can't begin to guess how many times I've seen someone jump in on a thread when it's obvious they didn't even really read the original posting.  I just thought it would be nice to be able to delete some of the pointless drivel that seems to come from some folks who equate post count with importance.  Thanks for the well thought out and articulate response.

:iagree: Completely! Not too many things annoy me more than people who post without reading but... that's the way things work. I'd rather have too many posts than no one using the site because it's too restrictive. Sometimes it helps to get to know someone's personality if they have a chance to let loose instead of answering serious questions all the time. It's a fine line though. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 71charger_fan on August 10, 2005, 08:02:07 PM
I agree too...but, hence the nature of the beast...

...and then there's the matter of Silver R/T. :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)