News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me understand Dyno's. this makes no sense.

Started by skip68, January 15, 2016, 12:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Not sure if time is a factor.  How ever long it takes to hit redline.   You'd think time it takes to hit redline is part of the equation. 
But some engines can be a dog down low and more powerful up top.  That could make more power than another engine but take longer to get there right?   I better quit because I'm getting lost again.    :lol:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

cdr

Quote from: skip68 on January 16, 2016, 12:23:13 PM
Not sure if time is a factor.  How ever long it takes to hit redline.   You'd think time it takes to hit redline is part of the equation. 
But some engines can be a dog down low and more powerful up top.  That could make more power than another engine but take longer to get there right?   I better quit because I'm getting lost again.    :lol:

time & weight & Rpm of the rollers is how they calculate HP on an inertia dyno.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

skip68

Ok, then an inertia dyno would be closest to the carnival ring the bell with the hammer test.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

flyinlow

At peak HP your drive train/accessory load is 28 HP.  (180-152)

So your R1 is sitting there idling 1000rpm.  It is making just enough power to overcome the engine friction and pumping losses at 1000rpm .Plus the power to turn the water pump, oil pump , alternator and the friction of the gears/bearings of the trans , input shaft ( I think they call it a counter shaft on a bike)  with no load on it because the trans is in neutral. So you put the R1 on it's center stand ( if it has one) put the trans in first gear and let the clutch out and the rear wheel spins about 10mph with almost no load on it. At this point the drive train loss is very small probable a fraction of a HP  or it would bog the idling engine down. The engine probably slowed very slightly unless the fuel injections idle speed motor compensates... :shruggy:

Next your put on your best riding gear ,find a test track and wind it up to 186mph (300KPH limit speed unless you cut the wire) . Don't sit up from behind the fairing or you will learn about the cube rule of parasitic drag. :smilielol:
The wind drag and tire friction will be loading the drivetrain to the max. The gears in the trans which are cut with a slight angle to reduce noise , the teeth are engaging sliding past each other and disengaging under max. torgue load and producing a lot of side trust and friction. The chain and sprockets are making a lot more friction as well. That tennis ball contact patch is heating up as it contacts the road and tries to put the power to the pavement . It does not do it 100% success rate, it slipping slightly. ......or you can use a dyno to simulate a similar load.

I can push my Goldwing around in the garage , so the drivetrain does not take much power at low speeds and loads.

Yea dyno numbers are great for rating how changes add/subtract .   Since you have an R1 ,you already know about that power to weight thing.

Changing sprocket sizes will not make your R1 engine make more HP, but it might go quicker in the 1/4 mile.   :Twocents:

skip68

:cheers: 
I've known about wind drag for 25+ years.   :lol: 
Anything over 130mph on this bike and my last R1 I need to be tucking in.  On my Busa it was around the 150mph mark.   I usually sit up around 140 to help slow me down for turns. 
Goldwing?   I've looked at those lately.  Talk about luxury.   :drool5:
My wife has ridden twice on this bike and doesn't want to anymore.  Can't blame her.  I was considering a fjr but I'd rather just keep this for the fun factor and get something like the Goldwing for two up.   All I've ever ridden for street is super sports and the last 3 I've had I've told my wife "this is my last fast bike"    :rofl:  This time I'm pretty sure it's it as I really want something that's comfortable and we can take small trips with.   At almost 48 I think I've peaked far as skills.   Probably peaked 10 years ago and just can't admit it.    :rofl:

Paul G

I dont know. My brain hurts now Skip. Thanks for that.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

skip68

:2thumbs: :lol:   
Where's our local scientist?    :lol:
Let me take this one step deeper into the insanity.   
Does un-sprung weight (the wheel) tires play a role?
Some have mentioned tires and here's my thoughts. 
As the tire (tires) spin faster and faster they get skinnier and taller. 
The forces are in a sense throwing the tire outward.  Does that also take more power the faster it goes?   Chad's a scientist, where is he.    :smilielol: 

cdr

Quote from: skip68 on January 16, 2016, 02:48:11 PM
:2thumbs: :lol:   
Where's our local scientist?    :lol:
Let me take this one step deeper into the insanity.   
Does un-sprung weight (the wheel) tires play a role?
Some have mentioned tires and here's my thoughts. 
As the tire (tires) spin faster and faster they get skinnier and taller. 
The forces are in a sense throwing the tire outward.  Does that also take more power the faster it goes?   Chad's a scientist, where is he.    :smilielol: 

on an inertia dyno it can have a larger effect.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

flyinlow

Quote from: skip68 on January 16, 2016, 02:16:56 PM
:cheers: 
I've known about wind drag for 25+ years.   :lol: 
Anything over 130mph on this bike and my last R1 I need to be tucking in.  On my Busa it was around the 150mph mark.   I usually sit up around 140 to help slow me down for turns. 
Goldwing?   I've looked at those lately.  Talk about luxury.   :drool5:
My wife has ridden twice on this bike and doesn't want to anymore.  Can't blame her.  I was considering a fjr but I'd rather just keep this for the fun factor and get something like the Goldwing for two up.   All I've ever ridden for street is super sports and the last 3 I've had I've told my wife "this is my last fast bike"    :rofl:  This time I'm pretty sure it's it as I really want something that's comfortable and we can take small trips with.   At almost 48 I think I've peaked far as skills.   Probably peaked 10 years ago and just can't admit it.    :rofl:

Yea I here you and I am 10 years farther down the road. The Wing's nice ,but it's kind of an old man's motorcycle.  I need a Ninja 14  to balance it out. :rofl:

cdr

skip68

Thanks cdr.  :cheers:  Looks like I'm making even less power now then I thought.   :rofl: 
Interesting read for sure. 

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

So a Cummins Ram makes 0 HP.....hmmmm. I always knew real trucks have 2 spark plugs per cylinder.  

The CFM 56's at work idle above 5252rpm...how do I measure HP?

My head hurts too.

cdr

Quote from: flyinlow on January 16, 2016, 05:58:48 PM
So a Cummins Ram makes 0 HP.....hmmmm. I always knew real trucks have 2 spark plugs per cylinder.  

The CFM 56's at work idle above 5252rpm...how do I measure HP?

My head hurts too.

it is still tq x rpm / 5252 =            1000 x 2500 / 5252 = 476 hp

Torque & thrust are two different things

skip68

Thank you John.   :cheers:  That is excellent.  This is all pure science.    :cheers:

flyinlow

Just being a wise guy by picking two engines whose normal rpm range does not include 5252.

Homerr

Quote from: skip68 on January 15, 2016, 12:34:27 PM
On a stand my bike can idle in 6th gear with the wheel spinning of course and using very little effort.    So how the hell is it using about 28HP to do this?   Obviously this doesn't require 28HP from the crank to the tire.  I've also seen this math used in cars where we're talking about HP losses through transmission.  

Quote from: flyinlow on January 16, 2016, 01:49:48 PM
At peak HP your drive train/accessory load is 28 HP.  (180-152)

So your R1 is sitting there idling 1000rpm.  It is making just enough power to overcome the engine friction and pumping losses at 1000rpm .Plus the power to turn the water pump, oil pump , alternator and the friction of the gears/bearings of the trans , input shaft ( I think they call it a counter shaft on a bike)  with no load on it because the trans is in neutral. So you put the R1 on it's center stand ( if it has one) put the trans in first gear and let the clutch out and the rear wheel spins about 10mph with almost no load on it. At this point the drive train loss is very small probable a fraction of a HP  or it would bog the idling engine down. The engine probably slowed very slightly unless the fuel injections idle speed motor compensates... :shruggy:

I think flyinlow did a great job capturing a lot of what is going on.  I'd also mention at high rpm the oil in the engine/trans is almost acting like wind resistance at high speed making HP more and more difficult to achieve.  Over time heat will build up as well and change output numbers.

Quote from: skip68 on January 16, 2016, 11:57:11 AM
With that theory, a transmission should only require X amount of power to operate regardless of what engine it's bolted to.  
Take a 440 and a 383.  Both engines should see the same amount of loss through the transmission if you used the same transmission testing both motors.   Right  :shruggy:  

If the 383 dyno'd at say 350HP, then dyno'd at 275HP on a chassis dyno that's a 75HP loss.  
Now take the 440 and say it dyno'd at 500HP, put it in the same chassis the 383 was in and it should dyno with the same 75HP loss at 425HP.   Correct?    Or would there be less loss because the more powerful 440 takes less energy to spin the drive train?

Rotational mass is different on 383 vs. 440 so they would not both lose 75hp.  The 440 would have higher loss...90hp?  (Just suggesting that number as a comparison, it's not real.)

This tool might be interesting to play with - reverse-engineer your Cd (drag), etc. from the intended ecomodder use.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-rolling-resistance.php

c00nhunterjoe

This entire discussion is another reason why when you tell me how much hp your car makes on the dyno, i usually answer with what the mph was in the 1/4 and what the d/a was on that run. The 2nd method is far more accurate and doesnt lie, nor can it be manipulated to achieve the desired numbers.

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 17, 2016, 12:54:23 PM
This entire discussion is another reason why when you tell me how much hp your car makes on the dyno, i usually answer with what the mph was in the 1/4 and what the d/a was on that run. The 2nd method is far more accurate and doesnt lie, nor can it be manipulated to achieve the desired numbers.

:iagree:

Paul G

How much power does it take to spin a driveline at 5000 RPM and maintain that speed? The amount of power needed should be a constant correct? So it should make no difference how much power the prime mover makes. It will take the same amount of power to do that amount of work.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ws23rt

I don't have a clue how the on board sensors in my Challenger come up with the data they provide but at 70mph on level ground the horse power indicator reads 45hp.
So that obviously is a total of all the drags on the engine.----drive train resistance, rolling resistance, aero drag, etc. :shruggy:

skip68

Sounds right to me.   But if you've read all my posts you may not take my word.    :lol:

flyinlow

Quote from: Paul G on January 17, 2016, 08:41:08 PM
How much power does it take to spin a driveline at 5000 RPM and maintain that speed? The amount of power needed should be a constant correct? So it should make no difference how much power the prime mover makes. It will take the same amount of power to do that amount of work.

Legal notice: do not  do this!

If you put your car on jackstands under the rear axle so the drive shaft angle would be close to normal and put your car in drive and ran it up to 5000rpm and showed lets say 120mph ( I don,t know what you rear axle is and I am ignoring your OD) It would not take much power to spin the drivetrain a steady 5000rpm (driveshaft speed) , It would be the same power if it was a 318 or 440. A 318 might have a 904 trans and 8 1/4 axle which are slightly easier to turn. Your torque converter would not slip much because of the light load.

Now put your car back on the ground and drive on a flat road with no headwind at 120 mph. It will take a lot more power, Most will be going to overcoming parasitic drag , some induced drag ( your car is shaped like a crappy wing and makes some lift) and higher rolling friction. Some of the extra power required will be spent over coming the increase in drive train friction operating under a heavier load to propel the car at a higher speed. Your torque converter will be slipping a few hundred rpm at this point.

Two identical '68 Chargers /727/8 3/4 axle ,same gear ratio. Both going 120mph .One has a 318 ,one has a 440. The 440 car is slightly heavier , but to go a steady 120mph the power required would be about the same.
\
Now you floor both cars. The 318 was probably pretty much floored already and has very little power left to add, The 440 has a lot more left  to accelerate with ,but as it does the extra load on the drive train from the higher torgue load from the engine during accelertion ,burns up some of the extra power the 440 has over the 318.

Drive train friction and loss is a function of the load on it.

1974dodgecharger

theres too many smart people on this board...just spit me a number it can be 100HP I don't care Im going for a drive..... :icon_smile_big: