News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

After 14 years I find out my old Charger Is just fine

Started by mike69440, January 16, 2016, 10:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike69440

I found this website reading about: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/turning-a-wrecked-charger-srt8-into-a-69-dodge-daytona-clone/
I spent several hours on the site last night, particularly impressed by articles about sequential port fuel injection and saddened by the decayed state of what you all have to work with for starter cars on your projects. Hats off to your dedication. I mean that.

I was one of the early guys going to a resto-mod on my cherry near original paint Charger in 2002, bailed out of the project and sold to purchase a 2003 Mustang Cobra I still own.
Although the Mustang is faster than the Charger every was, 587 RWHP vs. 508 HP on a engine dyno, gets about 3X the Fuel mileage, i.e +20 mpg average, and is dependable with Air conditioning.
The Ford it is not a Charger, not even close!
A Charger is, well, just look at it!
It is difficult to argue that a 68-70 Charger is not the most timeless stylish, most bad ass looking piece of muscle car tin there is?  The taillights and grill of the 69 IMHO are the pick of the 3 years. Chrysler really should do a rebody of the 69 for the 2019 Hellcat keeping the beltline and glass area proportions better than they did with the Challenger or Chevy did with there 5Th and 6th gen. Camaro.  It would surely sell all they could build at 6 figures.

So out of sentimental reasons I started searching for the Charger I owned from May 1977 to March 2002:
1969 Charger SE/RT Vin # XS2919B339577, Original 440 4 Speed, 3.54 Dana 60, Front Disc brakes, Oil cooler with notched and reinforced K Frame, HS torsion bards and aftermarket Anti roll bars, Black, Black Leather interior, Vinyl Black roof, PW, wood grain dash, Clock-Tach, & dog leg Shifter with full Console. (Console has round cutout for dual pyrometer to measure header EGT).
I sold the Charger with no motor to a gentleman from Connecticut in March of 2002.
I had started to collect a lot of parts for my resto and was just giving it away locally so that that summer I went to Carlisle with a pick-up full of  Mopar & Charger stuff to sell it off.  When I got done I was full of self doubt and loathing, but I had to move on. 

I did the right thing, as the Charger is still with its 4th owner since 2002. I've got some photos to show.  Vinyl roof is gone but sure is gorgeous.  The restoration completion date will be this year supposedly. I just want to give it a big hug.  :cheers:

mike69440

In Paint booth.

This is the cars first paint job except for previous trunk and hood touch up.  It is as rust free of car as exists.

hemi-hampton

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mike69440

A few more Pictres from the current Owner

crj1968

So...you gonna buy it back?  And I agree, aesthetically the 2nd Gen Charger is about as good as it gets. 

mike69440

No I will not or cannot buy it back.

I will visit, and tell it I still love it. 
After basically 9 years of driving my 600 HP 03 Cobra with doing noting but very routine maintenance after the initial mods, I will be faced in the next few years or sooner with doing some clutch, fuel system, and transmission upgrades work, and just those "minor Upgrades" will run thousand of dollars.  That is about all I'm good for In the car enthusiast world at this point of my life.  (boy, I've gotten old)

I'll post some underbody shots, and keep in touch with the current owner as we both need motivation.  That the new owner did a full disassembly and restore to a rust free car to start with says a lot.

crj1968

Quote from: mike69440 on January 20, 2016, 09:43:23 AM

I will visit, and tell it I still love it.     :icon_smile_big:

QuoteAfter basically 9 years of driving my 600 HP 03 Cobra with doing noting but very routine maintenance after the initial mods, I will be faced in the next few years or sooner with doing some clutch, fuel system, and transmission upgrades work, and just those "minor Upgrades" will run thousand of dollars.  That is about all I'm good for In the car enthusiast world at this point of my life.  (boy, I've gotten old)

Thats a lot of power in a car that size!  I've always liked those cars, I've nearly pulled the trigger on a 03/04 Mach 1 a couple times. Can't imagine 600HP though!  Even the lowly Mach at 300HP  is absolutely a blast to drive...  :scratchchin:

mike69440

Quote from: crj1968 on January 20, 2016, 12:03:43 PM

I will visit, and tell it I still love it.     :icon_smile_big:

QuoteAfter basically 9 years of driving my 600 HP 03 Cobra with doing noting but very routine maintenance after the initial mods, I will be faced in the next few years or sooner with doing some clutch, fuel system, and transmission upgrades work, and just those "minor Upgrades" will run thousand of dollars.  That is about all I'm good for In the car enthusiast world at this point of my life.  (boy, I've gotten old)

Thats a lot of power in a car that size!  I've always liked those cars, I've nearly pulled the trigger on a 03/04 Mach 1 a couple times. Can't imagine 600HP though!  Even the lowly Mach at 300HP  is absolutely a blast to drive...  :scratchchin:

Back in 2005 when I installed the Whipple and supporting mods, there was nothing from a showroom less than $250K that could match 600 hp.
The Mustang had primitive traction control, but the ECU did not know how to cope with the added power, trying to kill the motor abruptly. I disable traction control.  Cobra's chassis is good for a max of about 500 HP on a road course, with more power you go slower.
Today's car have stability control safety nannies, Older cars your for the grace of God go I, true fear and loathing.
Anyone with money can go down to their local big 3 Showroom and write a check for their pick of 600-700 hp cars, that have a warranty and a ECU to keep you as safe as possible!
My old Charger SE/RT was actually very good in the corners with some suspension, steering and tire upgrades, but even the 511 cu. in. stroker BB wedge motor is no match for a little Ford with a decent compressor sitting on the engine.
Nobody pays much attention to a Mustang, Cobra, SVT or even a Shelby. Chargers draw a crowd, as they deserve and get a lot of respect.

crj1968

True, true... even a rusty slant six charger will draw more attention than any newer mustang. Conversely, a rusty 65 6cyl fastback Mustang will draw more attention than a new Charger.  Its all about the classics, man.  :yesnod:

67tbird

No sub-frame connectors or am I just missing them? If not I think I'd want them with that hp.

mike69440

Quote from: 67tbird on January 21, 2016, 12:28:06 AM
No sub-frame connectors or am I just missing them? If not I think I'd want them with that hp.

New owner on the Charger will have a low 400 HP 440 matching numbers block, Mild Mods, so it looks original.  (Yes I would have added sub frame, torque boxes and front inner fender reinforcements plus some other stuff, but it is not mine anymore.)

My 03 Cobra definitely has full length Kenny Brown sub frame connectors welded to the flimsy Fox chassis!

Around here, older Mustang get a good glance, but the Chargers attract the crowds.

mike69440

My parents passed away around 2 years ago and I finally got the motavation to go through their stuff I packed out of their old home.

I can actually see my motorcycles now, and can walk into the my manroom without climbing over stuff, so that is a good start.  I still have a lot left to do.

mike69440

Well I rolled 556 miles up this Saturday on my car ( an 03 Whipple Terminator) that I bought to ease the pain after I sold my old full optioned 69 RT/SE 440 Dana 4 Speed car. The road trip was to visit the Charger I have not laid eyes on in +14 years.

I wish we could be restored like these old pieces of metal art.

This car will finally be going together soon. It is an "over restoration" by any account, better than anything that rolled off the assembly line.

The shell of this car is all original, no rust and only some very minor dings removed before paint.  I suspect it is the world's most pristine Gen 2 charger sheet original metal that has seen road miles and not museum stored since new.

The current owner is doing the work himself.  His life situation has changed where he can now devote time to the project.

For all of those people letting your memories rot in a barn or worse yet exposed to go back to mother nature, please get the car into loving hands who will bring the cars back to life.

Here she is blackest of black, ready and waiting to be assembled to take to the road again.
Quote from: mike69440 on January 20, 2016, 08:02:32 PM
Quote from: crj1968 on January 20, 2016, 12:03:43 PM

I will visit, and tell it I still love it.     :icon_smile_big:

QuoteAfter basically 9 years of driving my 600 HP 03 Cobra with doing noting but very routine maintenance after the initial mods, I will be faced in the next few years or sooner with doing some clutch, fuel system, and transmission upgrades work, and just those "minor Upgrades" will run thousand of dollars.  That is about all I'm good for In the car enthusiast world at this point of my life.  (boy, I've gotten old)

Thats a lot of power in a car that size!  I've always liked those cars, I've nearly pulled the trigger on a 03/04 Mach 1 a couple times. Can't imagine 600HP though!  Even the lowly Mach at 300HP  is absolutely a blast to drive...  :scratchchin:

Back in 2005 when I installed the Whipple and supporting mods, there was nothing from a showroom less than $250K that could match 600 hp.
The Mustang had primitive traction control, but the ECU did not know how to cope with the added power, trying to kill the motor abruptly. I disable traction control.  Cobra's chassis is good for a max of about 500 HP on a road course, with more power you go slower.
Today's car have stability control safety nannies, Older cars your for the grace of God go I, true fear and loathing.
Anyone with money can go down to their local big 3 Showroom and write a check for their pick of 600-700 hp cars, that have a warranty and a ECU to keep you as safe as possible!
My old Charger SE/RT was actually very good in the corners with some suspension, steering and tire upgrades, but even the 511 cu. in. stroker BB wedge motor is no match for a little Ford with a decent compressor sitting on the engine.
Nobody pays much attention to a Mustang, Cobra, SVT or even a Shelby. Chargers draw a crowd, as they deserve and get a lot of respect.

mike69440

More Photos

Stevearino

Something tells me there will be another second gen Charger in your future. I just have a feeling but I think I am right. :yesnod:

mike69440

Quote from: Stevearino on July 31, 2016, 03:29:37 PM
Something tells me there will be another second gen Charger in your future. I just have a feeling but I think I am right. :yesnod:

I can always dream, but I sure have a lot on my plate.
Having a 600 hp car satisfies my go fast urge, but I look at Gen II Chargers all day.

I really want a Hellcat with a Daytona body.
Your STR Clone is spectacular.

daveco

R/Tree

66FBCharger

Mike69440,
Just curious, where in CT. is the Charger? I am from Central CT. Maybe I'll get to see it in person someday.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

mike69440

The owner will start his own post soon. He has not posted in years but is a member of the forum.

I'm sure it will do many shows once completed.

I think you can understand why I will not reveal his location.

69 OUR/TEA

Wow , it really looks great !!!! I hope mine comes out that nice !!!!

Stevearino

Quote from: mike69440 on July 31, 2016, 04:00:35 PM

Having a 600 hp car satisfies my go fast urge, but I look at Gen II Chargers all day.

Thanks for the compliment on my build. Now start hunting down that Hell Cat. :lol:

mike69440

Quote from: Stevearino on August 01, 2016, 07:04:23 PM

Thanks for the compliment on my build. Now start hunting down that Hell Cat. :lol:

Closest I'll come to a Hellcat is this independent Tuxedo colored sometimes nasty kitty that keeps jumping up on my desk.
Time for more kitty tossing!

Enjoy your work break.

PS I put two very little but very stupid careless dings in my 03 Cobras door while I was crawling under it tightening some exhaust clamps so I know how the hood damage must have felt.

mike69440

Quote from: mike69440 on August 01, 2016, 08:23:00 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on August 01, 2016, 07:04:23 PM

Closest I'll come to a Hellcat is this independent Tuxedo colored sometimes nasty kitty that keeps jumping up on my desk.
Time for more kitty tossing!

Enjoy your work break.

PS I put two very little but very stupid careless dings in my 03 Cobras door while I was crawling under it tightening some exhaust clamps so I know how the hood damage must have felt.
Regarding Retro-mods, along with the incredible effort and skill your in build and The Modern Bullitt thread exhibit, what i have a lot of respect is that the cars will be drivers, real drivers, that actually can do a road trip, not be an embarrassment on a track or a strip, and also be real proud to show.  Going over the top for the sake of just being excessive and one off unique is a waste of talent.
These builds are tasteful functional builds, meant to enjoy the driving experience as well as showcase the car.