News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it safe?

Started by Barfyspitz, January 19, 2016, 12:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barfyspitz

I was wondering, it might be odd, but is it safe to upload videos of your car on YouTube? Is it possible just a video of a car,without the license plate showing,could lead to your car getting stolen?   It seems to me that in this day and age putting any of your possessions online even if you don't post an address, opens you up to everyone knowing what you have, and to people that want what you have.

oldcarnut

Not really I would think no more than having your member name or email address on a forum talking about what you have.  Try googling either and just see the info. that comes up  :eek2:

John_Kunkel

"Is it safe?"  Reminds me of the movie Marathon Man.   :eek:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Lord Warlock

doubt it will lead to theft of actual car, but can see someone stealing pics online and claiming your car is their car to try to defraud someone.

See no point in covering a license tag on the car when taking pics for online consumption,  it isn't like the tag is hidden every day, its out there for anyone to read or take pics of whenever it leaves the garage.  And some find the 2QIK4U tag humorous.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

HANDM

I keep my cars tucked away in plain sight and normally my ram truck is parked behind the Challenger and in front of the Charger simutaniously so if they want either they gotta steal the ram first  :lol:

303 Mopar

I think we all do what we can to keep our cars safe and protected.  However, if someone REALLY wants your car they are going to find a way to get it.  Whether stealing if from your home, or when you park someone, there are pros out there that have this down to a fine art.  They will have your car up, and any other blocking it, up on rollers and your car on a rollback out of your garage in less than 5 min.  My dad was a Denver cop and saw some of the best car stealing operations around.  The best you can do is back it a deterrent so the thieves move on to the next guy.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

polywideblock

when your out driving your car ,take notice of how many people with smartphones are either filming or photographing your car as you drive .

do you think they are going to the trouble of blurring your plates before posting online  :scratchchin:

every time you drive your car , your plates are on "public" display   :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

NSW Rego

Free Registration Check Results

24/01/2016

1971 PURPLE PLYMOUTH ROAD RUNNER SEDAN

The details for the vehicle you entered are displayed below:

Plate number: BG21FV

VIN/Chassis: ********2074

Tare Weight: 1640 kg

Registration details

The registration is cancelled.

The registration expired on 11/05/2012.

There are no concessions on this registration.

CTP insurance details

The CTP policy period end date is 11/05/2012.

Insurer's name: NRMA

Insurer's code: 34

myk

Do what I do and don't drive or display with license plates.  I put my DODGE plate on the rear whenever I take the car out; none of my cars have front plates.  If and when I'm pulled over, I explain my paranoia as well as the fact that I'm in the process of attending a car show.  I have been told more than once that as long as I have the actual plates on me, then I'm fine.  Haven't had a problem yet...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

polywideblock

as 440 has show finding info is easy  , but this could have happened any time during the 4 years that I drove the wheels off it from 2008 .   :scratchchin:

every time I turned around there was someone with a smartphone taking pics /vid  :yesnod:

didn't have one person track me down  :shruggy:  could have been the sign on the gate "don't worry about the dog beware of owner "  :icon_smile_big:

every time you drive your car someone somewhere has a smartphone and IS taking pics/vid of you and your car   :yesnod:

so you can be a "paranoid android" and  never rego /drive your car  and just look at it    :scratchchin:  not likely

be like myk and only put plates on your car when you drive it   , again not likely

or just do what these cars were made to do "drive them like you stole them"  :laugh:

if I spent as much time worrying about who might take my plate number  as some  of you do I'd just sell the cars and buy a heap  

" life is for living" not worrying about who might stuff your day ,worry about that when/if it happens  :Twocents:

one final question ,why is this in electrical not car  guys  :scratchchin:

Barfyspitz

Thanks great advice. Lol. As far as it being an electrical LMaoI post an electrical problem I was having I'm having trying to figure out my spark issue and managed to post this in electrical. Tried to transfer or delete it but I couldn't find a delete button anywhere so i just left it. Lol

1974dodgecharger

BE CAREFUL POSTING VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE on your I have had 1 million people tell me, 'Im gonna steal your car' out of those 1 million 500k couldn't get it out of first gear and just quit  :icon_smile_big:

This was videotaped and send to me on VHS and said, 'we got you now and your liscene plate we gonna steal it'
https://youtu.be/36QEVHwgU18

Back N Black

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 25, 2016, 02:43:09 AM
BE CAREFUL POSTING VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE on your I have had 1 million people tell me, 'Im gonna steal your car' out of those 1 million 500k couldn't get it out of first gear and just quit  :icon_smile_big:

This was videotaped and send to me on VHS and said, 'we got you now and your liscene plate we gonna steal it'

So, they are planning to steal your car and let you know in advance? how did they get your name and address? I wouldn't worry not with those big wheels on the car!  :nana: :D :pity:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Back N Black on January 27, 2016, 01:34:57 AM

So, they are planning to steal your car and let you know in advance? how did they get your name and address? I wouldn't worry not with those big wheels on the car!  :nana: :D :pity:

lmao...im still wondering where they got a VHS camcorder  :rofl:

polywideblock

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 27, 2016, 03:43:58 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on January 27, 2016, 01:34:57 AM

lmao...im still wondering where they got a VHS camcorder  :rofl:

top shelf of the hall closet right at the back   ;)

Lord Warlock

Interested to find out what the electrical gremlin was, I'm trying to figure out basically the same problem with mine.  Acts like timing is off but didn't do anything that should have moved the timing on the car.  Still looking at working it out.  So subscribed in case we ever get back on subject, if not will keep up with side conversation.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Barfyspitz

Ya I'm gonna take. Look at it today. I replaced the Orange box and resistor jopefully that fixes it. Just stepped away from it for a few days when the ballast resistor heated up and started smoking I was afraid I was going to burn up another one

Dino

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 22, 2016, 04:47:37 PM

"Is it safe?"  Reminds me of the movie Marathon Man.   :eek:

That's what I was thinking.  Unfortunately, as I'm typing this I'm in the waiting room at the dentist!   :eek2:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.