News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MP Electronic Ignition Conversion Question....

Started by ChargerAndy, April 09, 2006, 06:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerAndy

I finally got the MP kit and just wondered about a couple things. I have a 68 Charger with a '74 440. Wondered where you guys mount the control box? Im thinking under the dash is best for me, as much of a pain in the ass as thats gonna be.... there doesn't seem to be any room on the firewall or inner fender.I also would like it outta sight. Also, should I get a new coil with a higher output?..... and does that mean a new alternator with a higher output? I believe what I have is stock. Im inclined to think that if I want higher voltage to the plugs then I have to increase the coil and alternator........ but I am only good with house wiring, and basically an idiot with car wiring so.... any sugestions dudes? Thanks as always, Andy  :icon_smile_big:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Another place to try is to tuck it under the battery tray out of sight......

I put mine on the pass side, side of the inner fender....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

8WHEELER

I know a couple people that have them under the dash, I will probably do that next time.
I also know somebody that put it under the center console, easier to get to.
I used the red MSD Blaster 2 coill, took off the sticker and painted it gloss black, nobody can tell.

Your alternator will be fine.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

resq302

I have seen a majority of people mount them on the fire wall close to the ballast resistor.  Basicaly anywhere you want to as long as it is out of the way and will not be subjected to a lot of water and/or  heat.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ChargerAndy

Quote from: resq302 on April 10, 2006, 06:23:36 AM
I have seen a majority of people mount them on the fire wall close to the ballast resistor.  Basicaly anywhere you want to as long as it is out of the way and will not be subjected to a lot of water and/or  heat.

Ive read that the firewall is a popular choice for the control box but I look at mine and there is like no room. Maybe because I have AC theres no room. There is some room below all that but thats pretty close to the exhaust/heat. Im gonna opt for the under dash, it will be a pain initially but a cleaner installation all the way around. I guess Ill get the MSD Blaster 2 coil as 8wheeler suggested too.  Stay tuned, I have a feeling the ballast resistor swap will be a challenge for me, I have a jump wire there and Im not too sure why  ??? I seem to remember its different than the factory diagram.....Thanks Dudes!  :icon_smile_cool: Andy