News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

quiet mufflers for 3"system?

Started by blade trinity, April 09, 2006, 11:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blade trinity

I really enjoy setting off car alarms wherever I go but the noise of my midas turbo mufflers is  going to make me deaf. Are flowmasters the quietest thing going and do they work with a 3" system or are there other options? Thanks, Patrick

Mike DC

"Flowmasters" and "quiet" don't really go together.

471_Magnum

3" and quiet really don't go together either.

Switching to 2.5" tails will help without hurting performance, as would adding some hemi-style resonators.

Flowmasters definitely are NOT the way to go.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

dodge freak

If your car has a long tali pipe that is strait by the trunk you could try adding a pair of cherry bomb mufflers, one on each side. This is what I have on my car, it is cheap and flows great and not loud at least for a while. Use the cherry bombs as a secondary mufflers with the mufflers you have now. You might have to drop it down to 2 1/2 but do that after the first mufflers and axle, The mufflers come in different sizes  and are around $20.00 each. You can do it you self maybe, I would try that before you junk the whole thing. It will help and not hurt the flow to much. I had just one cherry bombs on each side and it was way to loud so I added one more on each side and it is great now. All cars do not have the room to do this but most of the old ones should.

blade trinity

I'd hate junk the whole system, so maybe i'll try the cherry bomb idea. Who has hemi resonators? They sound expensive. Anything that has the word Hemi sounds expensive! Thanks, Patrick

dodge freak

I know I would and it will make a big difference. Don't let a muffler shop talk you out of it. I had a friend who worked at one and everybody told me it won't work or would last only a few weeks. It was over 3 months with both of them on before it got any louder and 12 months of hard use and it still is not very loud. Its loud only when I step on the gas and still not as loud as some of these kids cars with their aftermarket mufflers. I think the resonators are baffle and don't flow as good. I think you be very happy with them, just make sure it exit pass the bumper, mine is straight out to get rid of the noise  when I floor it.

is_it_EVER_done?

If you want a quiet system, buy a pair of Chrysler Imperial mufflers from Midas or other shop. I put a pair on my 69-300 vert, and it's Pretty much dead silent. Since I have two other 69 cars that are quite loud, I wanted to go with quiet on that car without sacrificing any power on the big vert, and it worked out very well.

By the way, a 3 inch system is not necessarily louder than a smaller system, in fact 3 inch pipes tend not to resonate as much as smaller ones.

Bandit72

from my experiences, smaller pipes are generally louder than larger pipes....just WAY different sounds, there's acouple guys driving around here (one of them is my buddy) both have 91 GMC 1/2 tons with straight pipes and 350's...(basically the same trucks) well when my buddy heard the other guys truck and how loud it is (other guy had dual 2 3/4" straight pipes) and my friend wanted to make his truck louder (very common war of the exhaust/stereo's around here) well he was convinced that if he went and got dual 3 inch straight pipes it would be louder..well it's not and in my opinion kinda sounds like crap...but he didn't listen to me...stupid chevy owners

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....