News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition issue

Started by Sendero, April 10, 2006, 08:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sendero

Just put my charger on the road after a new engine&tranny rebuild. It seems I  have an ignition problem.

Bought a MP conversion kit ( orange box) and I noticed when I went to WOT the ignition really started cutting out bad. Normal driving seems fine but if I put her in PARK and manually start increasing rpm to 3000 I start hearing the "missing"and it isn't just one cylinder.. Before I think Orange box  :flame:...maybe my coil is crapping out at higher rpms.

Timing is set to 15 degrees at idle and 36 degrees at 2500 rpm. vacuum is a steady 18.5

Does anyone know a good troubleshootong method on either the coil or Orange box for higher rpm misses? or is it partswapping time? :icon_smile_dead:

Chryco Psycho

I woulod start swapping parts

dodge freak

This is just a guess  but to me it sounds like a carb. problem. You said its fine driving around just when you floor it it misses. It might be the spark but I would think you would notice it all the time. You don't have 11-12 to 1 compression in that motor do you. If you do then the spark might not be strong enough. But it most likely its not that. Sounds like a power valve not opening to me.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The orange boxes are known to crap out.....even when new.

try out another known ign box & make sure it is grounded properly!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

clausoe

I had the exact same symptoms on my 68 a while back. It turned out to be the "ign 1" wire was faulty, probably in the bulkhead connector. Hooked up a completely new wire from the ignition switch to the the ballast resistor and problem solved.