News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Undercarriage parts paint

Started by Voss, March 24, 2016, 07:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

Probably this question has been asked before, although I searched and didn't come up with a clear answer...

I am about to repaint my rearaxle, leaf springs, brake drums, shields, control arms etc. What's the most correct paint to use? Thinking about a semi-gloss epoxy paint. But before I go ahead with this it would be good to learn what other people have used over the years.

HeavyFuel

Ok....I'll start the discussion.

rearaxle.   Semi gloss black should work fine

leaf springs. semi gloss black or natural.....there is debate.

brake drums. natural steel finish.

shields. if you are talking about the disk brake shields....they are natural finish stamped steel.

control arms. natural steel finish

Voss

Quote from: HeavyFuel on March 25, 2016, 01:27:39 PM

shields. if you are talking about the disk brake shields....they are natural finish stamped steel.

Thanks for the info! And what about the drum backing plates? Semi-gloss black or natural steel finish? What paint would be best to get close to s natural steel finish?

HeavyFuel

Natural for the backing plates.  I used Eastwood Spray Grey as I recall.

Voss

Quote from: HeavyFuel on March 29, 2016, 12:27:30 PM
Natural for the backing plates.  I used Eastwood Spray Grey as I recall.

Thank you sir!  :cheers: Nice work! So to conclude: Diff, drums and backing plates are natural, rear axle is semi-gloss black.

Voss

Found this article, very interesting when it comes to surface finish for all details!

http://www.69hemi.com/references2.pdf

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Voss on March 25, 2016, 03:18:20 PM

Thanks for the info! And what about the drum backing plates? Semi-gloss black or natural steel finish? What paint would be best to get close to s natural steel finish?

Zinc phosphate plating on the backing plates.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 01, 2016, 10:25:22 AM
Quote from: Voss on March 25, 2016, 03:18:20 PM

Zinc phosphate plating on the backing plates.

Yep.  I stand corrected on that.  (The Eastwood Spray Gray is a darker gray color, like cast iron, and resembles the zinc phosphate.  Close enough for me, anyway.   :yesnod:)