News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hood light?

Started by AmadeusCharger500, April 11, 2006, 03:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Did chargers ever have under hood lights? If so where were they mounted?
I would like to mount one of the same style that is in the trunk. They are a little awkard since the have a set position to be in. Anyone ever done this?

Thanks,
Heath

resq302

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on April 11, 2006, 03:00:37 PM
Did chargers ever have under hood lights? If so where were they mounted?
I would like to mount one of the same style that is in the trunk. They are a little awkard since the have a set position to be in. Anyone ever done this?

Thanks,
Heath

Heath,  I personally have never seen a hood light/ trouble light on any mopar at least up until the 70s.  Maybe I am wrong though.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Nacho-RT74

I started a topic sometime ago about same stuff. I think they were an option, but nobody did take it. I think they are on my 74 mopar catalog.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

dodge freak

I made my own. Went to auto zone and found a headlight bulb that had 2 wires on it and a small bit of metal. I screw it to a raised part of the hood and wire the neg wire to the firewall ground. For the positive I went from the battery to a on-off switch. Now I have a bright light if I ever need it out on the road. I have used it for a half an hour many times and can always still start the car.  I used it one time during a cam change and then the battery was to weak to start it.  But a half an hour, even 1-2 hours its fine.  BTW I have no hood padding to burn and  have a optima battery

mikepmcs

I'm going to put in a hood light in on my 69.  I looked in the registry and it's not listed as an option in the tag codes, i have the light package but it doesn't include hood as far as i can see.  I found a constant 12 volts on a wire that is paired with another that runs under my washer tank, i have no idea what this went to, maybe the a/c(my a/c was pulled long ago i'm guessing) or horn relay(i have the dixie set up so no wires hooked to horn relay).  So I'm looking for a good location to put my light.  does anyone have a picture of how they set their's up?  I'm going to use the  hood light's chassis as the ground when i screw in to the hood and just plug right in to that hot wire.  the light  has a mercury switch to operate it when the hood is raised.
Thanks
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

put it in, whatta you think
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dodge freak

Sweet-- better than downtown at the factory. But what if you like to keep the hood open for a long time? Well I guess you could disconect the battey cable.

mikepmcs

Well it's not pretty yet but i'm gonna tuck it all away. the hoods open right now for a few days and I got the light unhooked for now.. It will all be good when I close the hood for good in a few.  Still doing some rewiring under there, it was a mess.  That light works like a champ. close the hood off, open the hood on.  SWEETBUSH!

Trunk is next.

Crazy Larry

I have a light in the trunk, but the bulb keeps going bad - I believe it was factory.

But then again, I am late and maybe I'm imagining things - but I know there is a bulb in there somewhere that I never change because it always goes bad. Pretty sure it was my trunk lid. I'll check on that tomorrow.

kab69440

I robbed my set up off a G bod Daytona. I have considered hooking up the switch to one of those 12v fluorescent work lights, and mounting it up under there.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Sweet T

Okay guys looking at my mopar a few days ago (69 charger) I noticed I have a switch on the front corner on the rad support that looks pretty much like a door switch to turn on a light.  There is no wire coming from it but it definitely looks as if there may have been a light under there.  I also do have the light in the trunk.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

mikepmcs

Quote from: Sweet T on May 02, 2006, 07:45:41 PM
Okay guys looking at my mopar a few days ago (69 charger) I noticed I have a switch on the front corner on the rad support that looks pretty much like a door switch to turn on a light.  There is no wire coming from it but it definitely looks as if there may have been a light under there.  I also do have the light in the trunk.

PICS????