News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission Decision

Started by 69Chrgr, April 11, 2006, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Chrgr

O.K. guys, I took your advice and called Tim at FHO. Just got the Charger back from the paint shop. It looks like a mirror. I'll post pic's tomorrow. Anyway, I was going to go with the Keisler 5-speed, however Tim highly suggested to keep the car an automatic as 700+ horsepower would be pushing it. So who and where would be the best place to get a really, really stout 727 to hold up to the Hemi and still be reliable. Oh, yeah, I won't be racing, ($26,000 in paint and body rotissierrie, etc.) but perhaps driving in the power tour. What do ya'll think? :icon_smile_shy:

firefighter3931

CRT (Cope Racing Transmissions) can fix you up. Ask John about a gear venders unit if you really want to run the power tour. Better start looking at a Dana 60 as well.  ;)

http://www.coperacingtrans.com/727.htm

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RD

:iagree:  have talked to him in the past, a really great guy with great tranny's to boot!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

deputycrawford

Also, check with Rick Allison at A&A trans in Indiana. He did a custom job for me and I would use him again in a second. He even left an open invitation to send it back anytime if I wanted anything changed, or fine tuned to my combo.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

69Chrgr

Thanks guys for all of the input. Do ya'll agree with Tim from FHO about going with an auto instead of Keisler 5 Speed swap? What are ya'lls thoughts? :icon_smile_shy:

deputycrawford

High horsepower cars seem to be more consistant with and Auto trans, for the most part. A really good driver can make a clutch act the same way every time but automatics seem to be just alittle bit easier on suspension and drivetrain unless you have high stall converter and are drag racing. You will find a 727 will feel VERY peppy when prepared correctly. Also, I have never seen a stick car shift faster than a clutch car. Auto shifts can be very hard and instant. That keeps power to the ground.  That is my thoughts at least.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

69Chrgr

Thanks DeputyCrawford. I have a 2005 Cummins TurboDiesel and an SRT-4, both standards, and I'm really beginning to miss my auto cars. :-\ My 68 Barracuda is the only auto left and it seems to be the most pleasurable to drive now. :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

i have a tci trans in my rod and  it shifts hard. even going slow.  it makes the cd skip/  :icon_smile_big:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Mike DC

Just my two cents, but it seems like a stick tranny would live okay as long as the tire size/grip is under control. 

In this hobby, most of the "rules" about how much any given part can withstand are arrived at on the dragstrip.  Most 700-hp cars have abandoned street radials a long time ago.