News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buying project xx29l9b386542

Started by taxspeaker, April 09, 2016, 03:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29J

What is the Contact Phone # of the owner, The email gets you no response.

Y1CHARGER

If the owner wanted his number to be public he would have put it in the Ad.

Aero426

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on May 03, 2016, 07:26:25 PM
The crickets chirping, from the OP not wanting to elaborate on his experience and  the lack of info from hemi68charger who seems to post every chance he can, I get the impression that a deal is still brewing with one or the other :scratchchin:

If Troy went to look at the car on behalf of other people, there is no reason for him to comment.   But he did say the car is real and will be sold. 

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on May 03, 2016, 11:25:47 PM
Quote from: Y1CHARGER on May 03, 2016, 07:26:25 PM
The crickets chirping, from the OP not wanting to elaborate on his experience and  the lack of info from hemi68charger who seems to post every chance he can, I get the impression that a deal is still brewing with one or the other :scratchchin:

If Troy went to look at the car on behalf of other people, there is no reason for him to comment.   But he did say the car is real and will be sold. 

Thanks Doug......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

XS29J

And Next Week!!!

41husk

seems like a lot of games and hassle for the seller as well :shruggy:  Why not just do some research list it for a price you can live with and sell the thing :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

XS29J

Quote from: 41husk on May 04, 2016, 08:21:41 AM
seems like a lot of games and hassle for the seller as well :shruggy:  Why not just do some research list it for a price you can live with and sell the thing :brickwall:

Not really,   The hassle is on other people, Gains more MONEY for him by using more Knowledgeable people (AT there Expense) To get the Best price out of his car...

The whole post should be deleted as not to give him FREE advertising of  his game...my  :Twocents:

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

nascarxx29

Why not just ebay it starting  at 30 K and set reserve at $150.K see where it goes
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

41husk

That sounds like the way to go :shruggy: This guy seems to have caused a lot of grief to a loy of people :Twocents:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

62 Max

Quote from: 41husk on May 04, 2016, 11:30:21 AM
That sounds like the way to go :shruggy: This guy seems to have caused a lot of grief to a loy of people :Twocents:
"
Right,and as far as "best offer" that could be next week,next month or next year,when do you make up your mind ?

41husk

maybe having his phone # posted on all mopar sites with a pic and 35k or best offer might be justice :smilielol:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

nascarxx29

Ad should read $35K or better higher. offer
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 04, 2016, 09:03:36 PM
Ad should read $35K or better higher. offer

OBO means just that, or best offer........ People have gotten so used to OBO meaning the "asking" price is a pipe-dream-I-would-love-to-get thing and I'd settle for something lower...... Guess people would be ok with it if he said "$100,000 obo"?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

XS29J

The OBO issue isn't the problem here,  Having people travel to and look at the car and to keep raising the price is the issue. When people have something for Sale they usually have a price in mind that Satisfies them and they sell when someone meets that price. This guy (at others expense ) is trying to squeeze every penny out of this car. That's the problem...

This Car will always be   :THE TAN TURD"  in my book 

ksquared

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 05, 2016, 06:31:31 AM
Guess people would be ok with it if he said "$100,000 obo"?

I think people might have been happier with that.  It seems, at least as of now, that this seller has misled everybody.  There is no real guarantee, again as of this moment, that this seller is really a seller, and isn't just trying to find that mythological "pipe-dream I'd love to get" maximum amount, as nothing more than a personal curiosity.  The ad, and this may have been intentional, was misleading with the $35K OBO, as yes, or best offer in general means if you offer $35K it will be accepted, and if you offer less your offer will have to be the highest.  The seller could have merely changed the ad to read "highest offer" or "sealed bids accepted through 5/15" or something similar.  Houses for far more money have been sold in such a manner.

Also, taxspeaker, a member here on this forum, has stated that he is out $1200, as he went to look at the car, ready, willing, and ABLE, to purchase it right then.  He was told thanks for showing up, I'm still holding out for those last extra dollars, and no, it doesn't matter how much time, effort or money taxspeaker spent to get there and look at the car.  taxspeaker said that this has caused personal angst between him and his wife, as she is now justifiably upset, although I think she should be focused on the unethical actions of the seller rather than her husband's justified belief that if a person advertises a car for sale that it is really a car for sale.

The seller could have easily put it on eBay, for FREE (if he doesn't sell more than 6 cars per year) although yes, it would have cost him a bit of money ($15) if he would have added a reserve price.  I think listing it as "no reserve" would have generated a huge following where everybody who wanted to would have the opportunity to bid, and possibly could generate a sale at a higher price than his chosen method now, even with the eBay fees.  The seller could have done some research and joined this forum, and I think advertised it for free.  The seller could have consigned it to one of the car auctions, as was done with the "barn find" Daytona.

He could have had an "estate auction," advertised it in Hemmings as he is obviously familiar with that magazine, advertised it here, and generated a huge following.  A side note, I went to one of these auctions, also for a car (which I didn't get), but they had a junky engine stand, and at first nobody would bid even $5, but eventually the bidding got going and it ended up selling for more than a new engine stand.

But I don't think this seller could have chosen a more aggravating method of supposedly selling this car than what he did, as people can't even call him.  Of course, right now I'm sure there are a couple of people calling him something, even if they can't get the seller on the phone.

wingcarenvy

I agree with the above. This seller is obviously knowledgable enough to list it on Hemmings. So I would assume he is also knowledgable enough to play the sale right. Turning Taxspeaker around and sending him home empty handed was a really horrible move, ethically and from a financial aspect too. Playing the "I have another bid much more than yours" never works. People usually are very turned off by it. Dealing with someone who has ZERO appreciation for these cars is the worst, even worse when trying to buy a house from an estate where multiple entitled children are involved. I would run from this car if I had the cash to buy. If this guy was smart he would either 1. Take it to a Mecum auction with a reserve or 2. List it on Hemmings for 100K or best offer and see what comes in. Usually the first person in front of you with cash in hand is your buyer. The pain and suffering goes up from there.

charger_fan_4ever

Seller should best be careful you never know who your dealing with. Some that travelled and incurred the expense to find out its a game could have really "lost it" on the seller.

70Sbird

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 05, 2016, 11:22:32 AM
Seller should best be careful you never know who your dealing with. Some that travelled and incurred the expense to find out its a game could have really "lost it" on the seller.

If I were the seller (or acting like him) This situation would worry me a bit unless you explained UP FRONT that there would be no purchase made on the trip to check out the merchandise, and even then I would be a bit wary. You never know when a weary traveler might get frustrated and deliver a punch or worse....

Scott Faulkner

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 70Sbird on May 05, 2016, 12:20:19 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 05, 2016, 11:22:32 AM

If I were the seller (or acting like him) This situation would worry me a bit unless you explained UP FRONT that there would be no purchase made on the trip to check out the merchandise, and even then I would be a bit wary. You never know when a weary traveler might get frustrated and deliver a punch or worse....

Totally agree i'd sleep with 1 eye open. Im sure most buyers if having to do any long travels would say $%%^& you if told upfront you can only inspect it and leave an open offer on the table.

hemi68charger

If I were the seller (or acting like him) This situation would worry me a bit unless you explained UP FRONT that there would be no purchase made on the trip to check out the ...

That was made up front...........
Troy

held1823

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 05, 2016, 12:47:16 PM
If I were the seller (or acting like him) This situation would worry me a bit unless you explained UP FRONT that there would be no purchase made on the trip to check out the ...

That was made up front...........

bob doesn't sound like he was aware of it being a view-only trip.

look up "obo" in any dictionary, and they all define it as a selling price slightly below the asking price. looking for an "offer" over the stated price is baiting. no one blames the seller for trying to get every cent he can get, but his method of doing it is sickening.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69_500

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

:brickwall:

It's an exciting thread.

Still like the car.

Still want it too.

moonlithaven

I have been in contact via email since April 9th. He responds randomly and usually not at all. He sent me an email after a week of no communication and and says he sorry for not getting back to me, he had to go out of town for a few days. He then writes me an email of extreme length telling me the entire history of the car and his whole life story! So that is great and I respond asking him where he is at on price and what is it going to take to buy this car. I also ask him if I can have his phone number. Well that was about 7 or 8 days ago and again he has gone into silent mode! You can not conduct business with someone who does not want to communicate! :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:
T-5 Copper Daytona

out there

$65,000 now in the AD. I imagine this may continue until the interest stops