News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buying project xx29l9b386542

Started by taxspeaker, April 09, 2016, 03:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlithaven

The Daytona is NOT worth $65K in the overall condition that the car is in! The seller may have out smarted himself with the little game he is playing! :smilielol:
T-5 Copper Daytona

1970Moparmann

Quote from: moonlithaven on May 06, 2016, 12:05:14 AM
The Daytona is NOT worth $65K in the overall condition that the car is in! The seller may have out smarted himself with the little game he is playing! :smilielol:

I bet it sells for more than $65.  :popcrn:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

XS29J

Quote from: XS29J on May 04, 2016, 08:07:41 AM
And Next Week!!!

We are getting Closer!!!  The Tan TURD!

XS29J

If the buyer of this car plans to just drive it as is freshened up it will be a great car!!!...If they buy it to restore it will be a big $ mistake...Personally I would give, and had,  $75K ready to go buy it...But no response back initially and then after reading the BAD sales procedure on this Forum it is Not worth my time..

taxspeaker

XS29J you are probably correct at 75k!

At the end of the day it is the seller's car to do what he wants, as offbeat as his selling methods are. I went in knowing in advance that he might not make the decision that day, and I can still live with that. What bothered me was using my cash on the spot offer of $55,000 to then continue to advertise at a higher level-nothing illegal or even wrong about that, it just feels dirty to me.

I had a phone call with one of the other members here over the weekend and an excellent point was made. There are only a few hundred people in the world that have the ability (financial & mechanical) to buy the car and restore it themselves at any reasonable cost. For an investor (like the previously mentioned fictitious (?) banker) to buy it at this point it does not make financial sense. Remember I have seen and carefully and physically inspected the car a month ago and it needs all new engine, tranny, rear end, brakes, suspension, fuel, significant body work and paint. I think that will cost at least $150,000 to pay to have it done, so now you would have $215,000 in a car that is not worth that much to an investor, and that ignores the time value of money.

At this price point the only sense it makes is for someone who will do it themselves for the pleasure of doing it, and as I previously noted there aren't that many of us out there. And most of that few are now pissed off. My wife bluntly asked me this morning if he called and said be here tomorrow with the original $55k I offered would I go. The answer is yes, but not at 65k-there has to be a stopping point even in a project car.

The seller is a pretty nice fellow who has been previously burned, and I do not think he realizes that the selling method he devised to get the most out of the car and avoid being burned, is offending the very market of limited buyers available.
Bob

Aero426

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 06, 2016, 09:39:35 AM
My wife bluntly asked me this morning if he called and said be here tomorrow with the original $55k I offered would I go. The answer is yes, but not at 65k-there has to be a stopping point even in a project car.

Bob, your offer is fair from a buyers perspective.  But the reality is that even in the depths of the recent recession, 55k would have been unlikely to buy the car.    Yes, I understand it needs everything.

Pricing on rare project cars like a 4-speed Daytona is never linear.   You simply cannot take the restored value, subtract your costs and arrive at a price to pay.     There will always be more people who want the car because of the lower buy in price, versus a restored car.    

I do understand that the sellers process is very strange and will chase some people off.   

charger_fan_4ever

The other f6 daytona that was posted on here a year or so ago automatic i believe was running and driving sold for what 120ish ?

When i first saw the pics of the car 75k jumped into mind. Someone doing it themselves could get it done for $50k. 125k for a restored  4 speed daytona pretty decent(not talking oem with date coded parts) meaning do metal/body/paint work with repro parts. Id rather spend that on a steel body willys coupe though  ;)

held1823

75k was my impression on it, too. this entire process is nothing more than a bait session. there was no way that car was changing hands had the offers maxed at at 35k or less as the original ad implied. wouldn't a "best offer" sale require sealed bids with a deadline to submit them? editing the hemmings ad to reflect the current best offer effectively turns it into an auction, and a no reserve one to boot. the seller alienates a good part of his buying audience by playing the current high bidder against everyone else.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

unfortunately with some situations....... All parties are out for their own gain.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

held1823

your photo of the poker game validates everyone's opinion but your own. every player who sat down at the card table knew the rules of the game from the very start, and brought along their own cash. this seller is playing games with other people's money.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Quote from: held1823 on May 06, 2016, 05:55:36 PM
your photo of the poker game validates everyone's opinion but your own. every player who sat down at the card table knew the rules of the game from the start, and brought their own cash. this seller is playing games with other people's money.

??? The rules, again, were known..... When I went to see the car, I didn't bring cash because I knew the rules ( view, make offer and, unfortunately, wait )...... My situation is no different than anyone else's... The only difference is I and my friend had the financial benefit of being within 2 hours drive of the car..... So, we are in the same boat..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ws23rt

Quote from: held1823 on May 06, 2016, 05:55:36 PM
your photo of the poker game validates everyone's opinion but your own. every player who sat down at the card table knew the rules of the game from the very start, and brought along their own cash. this seller is playing games with other people's money.

This is interesting to follow.

The comment about "this seller is playing games with other people's money" caught my attention.

The cost of searching for and looking at cars for sale are the expense of the buyer. --No?

I am in no way defending this seller.  This seller may very well be playing games but unless and until he gets money from a buyer he is just another hazard on ones path to find and buy a car.

I understand frustration in trying to buy this car but is it not all part of the hunt?

Another point about this is the apparent low starting price.  Those that hoped to get a great deal may be the most frustrated.

If this was advertised (as most of the kind are) high/delusional.-- I suspect the conversation would be rather different.

A buyer is the one in the drivers seat. If a smoking deal comes up so does the risk at jumping in. This is where the gamble comes in.:Twocents:

moonlithaven

You would be wise to remember, and no one seems to be mentioning this, that this Daytona needs a replacement engine, transmission, rear end, suspension and on and on and on! The engine is most probably seized as not being started in almost 40 years, so that being said, remember a non matching numbers Daytona has a significant lessor value than a matching numbers car. Just food for thought! Not even to mention that this Daytona has had a really hard life early on. The car has just been hammered. Evidence is the crash into the low retaining wall and all the damage to the lower half of the nosecone, thousands of dollars in repairs and hundreds of hours of work if you can get it to look right again. Look at the 50 some pictures very carefully. Just saying!!! Oh and if you need more to think about, no one seems to notice the parts that are missing since they are not pictured, such as the front chin spoiler and I don't know, the original red scissors jack, the owner himself told me he had no idea where it is. Very important item when buying a Daytona. All add value to a Daytona. I stick to what I have said earlier, this Daytona, in the condition that it is in, as is, is not worth what the seller is asking!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
T-5 Copper Daytona

Moparpoolman

Quote from: moonlithaven on May 06, 2016, 08:25:59 PM
Look at the 50 some pictures very carefully. Just saying!!! Oh and if you need more to think about, no one seems to notice the parts that are missing since they are not pictured, such as the front chin spoiler and I don't know, the original red scissors jack, the owner himself told me he had no idea where it is. Very important item when buying a Daytona. All add value to a Daytona.

Where are these 50 some pictures?  Can someone provide a link so they can be viewed by us not so computer literate members?  Also about the wing car jacks, a member here Wingnut does an amazing job restoring them and also can make one that looks IDENTICAL to an original :2thumbs:

Homerr

Quote from: Moparpoolman on May 07, 2016, 07:47:25 AM
Look at the 50 some pictures very carefully. Just saying!!! Oh and if you need more to think about, no one seems to notice the parts that are missing since they are not pictured, such as the front chin spoiler and I don't know, the original red scissors jack, the owner himself told me he had no idea where it is. Very important item when buying a Daytona. All add value to a Daytona.

Where are these 50 some pictures?  Can someone provide a link so they can be viewed by us not so computer literate members?  Also about the wing car jacks, a member here Wingnut does an amazing job restoring them and also can make one that looks IDENTICAL to an original :2thumbs:

If someone can provide them to me I'll link them in the Daytona Registry. 

Davtona

Where are these 50 some pictures?  Can someone provide a link so they can be viewed   :2thumbs:

You would be wise to remember, and no one seems to be mentioning this, that this Daytona needs a replacement engine, transmission, rear end, suspension and on and on and on!

Not even to mention that this Daytona has had a really hard life early on. The car has just been hammered.

Evidence is the crash into the low retaining wall and all the damage to the lower half of the nosecone, thousands of dollars in repairs and hundreds of hours of work if you can get it to look right again. Look at the 50 some pictures very carefully. Just saying!!!

Agreed!!! Where are the 50 pictures. This thread is full of comments about how bad this car is. Typical Debbie Downer car thread on DC.com. The 4 or 5 pictures I'm seeing does not give me that feeling. A lot worse looking cars have been restored. From the pictures posted it does not look like that bad a car. The damage I can see on the bottom of the nose is not that big an issue. Anyone missing a nose for their car would love to have this one. I've read most if not all of this thread and I see nothing that tells me if the motor and tranny are matching numbers. Obviously enough people have personally inspected the car that someone knows the answer to that question. That little piece of information would dramatically affect the value of this car. As far as being rode hard and put away wet weren't almost all the 60's era muscle cars. For the record I have no interest in buying the car. Unless of course its going to sell for the 35K figure.

Hemi Runner

I'll offer 70K if someone will give me a no interest loan for 65K :shruggy: :lol: In all seriousness, this thread is merely entertainment for me as I was out before I was ever in on this deal. I guess I'll go back to working on my bird clone.

tan top

:yesnod:
Quote from: Davtona on May 07, 2016, 11:29:45 AM
Where are these 50 some pictures?  Can someone provide a link so they can be viewed   :2thumbs:

You would be wise to remember, and no one seems to be mentioning this, that this Daytona needs a replacement engine, transmission, rear end, suspension and on and on and on!

Not even to mention that this Daytona has had a really hard life early on. The car has just been hammered.

Evidence is the crash into the low retaining wall and all the damage to the lower half of the nosecone, thousands of dollars in repairs and hundreds of hours of work if you can get it to look right again. Look at the 50 some pictures very carefully. Just saying!!!

Agreed!!! Where are the 50 pictures. This thread is full of comments about how bad this car is. Typical Debbie Downer car thread on DC.com. The 4 or 5 pictures I'm seeing does not give me that feeling. A lot worse looking cars have been restored. From the pictures posted it does not look like that bad a car. The damage I can see on the bottom of the nose is not that big an issue. Anyone missing a nose for their car would love to have this one. I've read most if not all of this thread and I see nothing that tells me if the motor and tranny are matching numbers. Obviously enough people have personally inspected the car that someone knows the answer to that question. That little piece of information would dramatically affect the value of this car. As far as being rode hard and put away wet weren't almost all the 60's era muscle cars. For the record I have no interest in buying the car. Unless of course its going to sell for the 35K figure.

yeah , where pictures !!  be good to see them  &  i'll  add them here for  future   reference  :yesnod: feel free to send me the link a link to the pictures , or your more than welcome to email them to me & i'll  post them  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

4 sp daytona  , im betting higher then 75  best color combo too    :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BS27R1B

Seller's car and seller's sale. He can set whatever conditions and terms that he pleases.
I was one of the first to respond to his Hemmings ad. I am a serious buyer and probably would be a buyer at or above his current price however his method of sale and hide and go seek selling style caused me to write this car off as a lost cause. In the mean time I bought another car for with a much smoother and straight forward transaction.
This Daytona could be a great car taking the color and transmission into consideration. The state of the engine, transmission and rear end in the car have very little impact on this car's appeal to anyone that seriously wants a real Daytona.
' objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are'

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 06, 2016, 09:39:35 AM

The seller is a pretty nice fellow who has been previously burned, and I do not think he realizes that the selling method he devised to get the most out of the car and avoid being burned, is offending the very market of limited buyers available.
Bob

He was probably previously burned BECAUSE of his selling methods and I bet that at the end of this charade he gets less than the listed price.  It wouldn't surprise me if at some point the price gets lowered on the Ad.  I'll also bet that many of us here hope the seller gets burned again with this deal.

wingcarenvy

Difficult sellers are sometimes the best to buy from, it just takes patience for them to see the error of their ways. When I bought my first Superbird in 1995 the seller wanted 100K for it and wouldn't let anyone see it. I was priviledged enough to live close to him and worked on him patiently. In the end I bought a 60k mile unrestored Superbird for $8500. A lot less than his "asking" price. This guy might have shot himself in the foot but If say Taxspeaker is the only guy continually chirping in the guys ear when all the other potential buyers are pissed off and gone, well then 55 may buy it after all.

nascarxx29

There was near me parked since mid 70-s 440 superbid and 68 4 speed hemi charger.A few years ago he was retired .And was at first gonna restore.I told him to get a figure from mark at gyc.After that he sol d the pair and cashed out at prices of a resto was up there.If this daytona gets outsourced for rest 100k.Best situation guy who does his own work.And these cars were rust free garage kept and started on occasionally
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

1969 R/T SE

the guy is basically doing an action calling people and getting there best offer and moving on to the next guy with a bigger wallet

out there

Very interesting selling technique. Would not work with most cars, but if they are rare enough like this one? He may end up with the highest price doing this with no selling expense other than an ad. He is not a flipper looking to play games. This appears to be well thought out. He is qualifying his bidders and not wanting to take a bid from anyone that has not inspected it.  The offered price keeps going up. Will be very interesting to see how high it goes.
I've not seen this before really, but have never bought something this rare.