News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Ignition Tumbler

Started by zeroTekOne, April 09, 2016, 10:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeroTekOne

Hi there, I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get the ignition tumbler out of a 68 Charger without the key. I have no ignition key, and the door and trunk locks are missing, so I can't even take one of them in to get keyed.

Thanks so much

BLK 68 R/T

I would save yourself the frustration and just buy a new ignition switch and then order a new matched set of door locks and ignition tumbler.

BTW, welcome to the site.

JB400

Ignition key is different than the trunk and doors anyway.  I'd contact a local lock smith and have a key made to the ignition, or just order another ignition switch.  A stock ignition key has the pentastar logo made into it.  Doors and trunk are round keys with the pentastar logo.

zeroTekOne

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on April 09, 2016, 11:12:38 PM
I would save yourself the frustration and just buy a new ignition switch and then order a new matched set of door locks and ignition tumbler.

BTW, welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that may be the way to go. What tools are required to get the ignition switch out? I've never removed one before. I'm assuming there must be some trick to them, given that it was intended as a security device. :)

BLK 68 R/T

Here is the set i was thinking of same key for the locks and ignition, trunk is different .http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/md2132.html

To get the ignition switch out just unscrew the chrome nut on the front of the ignition switch, it should have 4 slots in it. There isma specific tool for it but you can use needle nose pliers. Then the whole assembly comes out the back and you just unplug the harness.

zeroTekOne

cdr

Quote from: JB400 on April 09, 2016, 11:17:56 PM
Ignition key is different than the trunk and doors anyway.  I'd contact a local lock smith and have a key made to the ignition, or just order another ignition switch.  A stock ignition key has the pentastar logo made into it.  Doors and trunk are round keys with the pentastar logo.

ign & doors are the same, trunk is different.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Brock Lee

A good locksmith will not have to re-key it. They will have a master key set. All they have to do is find the correct key then cut you one from it. I own a master set and it only takes about 10 minutes to find the correct key if you end up going through them all. More often than not the right key is found within 5 minutes.

zeroTekOne

In my area, the going rate seemed to be around $200 to get a lock smith to come out and make one key.

I just removed the ignition switch and drilled out the tumbler retention pin, and ordered a nice quality NOS full lock set, including a glove box lock and 4 cut keys plus 4 spares for $150 including shipping.

I should be good to go, and will have nice shiny new locks and extra keys so this hopefully will never happen again. :)