News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger rear panel alignment problems

Started by mopar4don, April 13, 2016, 03:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I am working on assembling the back half of my 1969 charger.
I am mocking up the quarter panel and have questions about where the
quarter panel, rear valance, valance corner and rear cross-member come together

Here is a pic of the passenger side

mopar4don

This is a pic of the drivers side No quarter panel so I can get a better picture

In this pic there is a lot going on. Different pieces coming together (kinda hard to see)
basically my problem is when I pull the valance corner up against the
cross member (X member) I have a gap between the raised floor pan lip, and the rear valance.
This needs to be tight as it will get plug welded.

You also notice the same gap between the floor pan and X-member.

mopar4don

Should the floor pan move rearward until the floor pan lip hits the rear valance?
Or in this pic move the floor pan back and decrease that same gap?

I really don't want to do this because if the floor moves rearward then the wheel wells,
quarter panel, and rockers will need to move back (I think)
Unless I force the floor and leave everything else alone?

tsmithae

I had a very similar issue with my trunk floor/rear valence installation. You can clearly see the massive gap here at post #467 (http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.465).  What I wound up doing was flattening the trunk pan lip, and making the bend about 1/2" further back to meet up with the crossmember and the valence.  It seems the jig for the rear trunk lip was set wrong and I've talked to several people who have had this exact issue.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

mopar4don

Quote from: tsmithae on April 13, 2016, 10:01:22 PM
I had a very similar issue with my trunk floor/rear valence installation. You can clearly see the massive gap here at post #467 (http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.465).  What I wound up doing was flattening the trunk pan lip, and making the bend about 1/2" further back to meet up with the crossmember and the valence.  It seems the jig for the rear trunk lip was set wrong and I've talked to several people who have had this exact issue.
That makes a lot of sense as right now the trunk lip extends up at to about half way through the bumper mounting holes in the rear valance
Thanks for responding

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Cncguy

Don, I really hope you document in detail how this will all go together, I feel like this will be a stumbling block in my restoration.

mopar4don

Quote from: Cncguy on April 14, 2016, 07:11:53 PM
Don, I really hope you document in detail how this will all go together, I feel like this will be a stumbling block in my restoration.
Cncguy, I will do my best!

Mike DC

Maybe the whole paint & body forum needs a sticky thread for "known errors in repro panels"

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 15, 2016, 10:38:43 AM

Maybe the whole paint & body forum needs a sticky thread for "known errors in repro panels"

Here's a error for you in a repro part. Door close's fine & gap at bottom of door fine but look at that top gap :o :brickwall: :shruggy: :slap:

mopar4don

I have been working the entire back end and I need a couple of dimensions....
If I could get dimensions from the trunk floor to the top and bottom edge of the tail light buckets that would help me to know where I need to be.
If you could get those dimensions on the outer side of the valance support that would be great! kinda like my pic... (I'm getting 5-3/4 and 9-7/8)

With the dimensions please let me know if you replaced your valance, and or tail panel or if you have an original car.... original car dimensions would be preferred but it will be interesting to see what if any differences there are.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 15, 2016, 10:38:43 AM

:iagree:

This is good information.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

mpd659

Good old aftermarket junk at its finest!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:

green69rt

Don, sorry to take so long to add my dimensions to the thread.  Traveling.  Attached pics show where I took the measurements.

They turned out to be:

Floor to bottom of the bottom tail light flange 6 1/8"
Floor to top of the top flange  11 1/16"

I replaced my floor but it was not an AMD part, the previous owner had bought it.  It had no flange to connect to the rear valance so I just got some sheet metal and made my own in the dimensions I needed to fit.    Pics of my measurements.  I've replaced almost all the rear of my car, it had been hacked up during a previous repair so I have no idea how close I am to  OEM.  The tail light panel is original.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: mpd659 on May 03, 2016, 05:45:36 AM
Good old aftermarket junk at its finest!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:

:iagree: :hack: :coocoo: :buff:

I hate aftermarket, none of it close to original. LEON.

mopar4don

Quote from: green69rt on May 13, 2016, 12:00:21 PM
Don, sorry to take so long to add my dimensions to the thread.  Traveling.  Attached pics show where I took the measurements.

They turned out to be:

Floor to bottom of the bottom tail light flange 6 1/8"
Floor to top of the top flange  11 1/16"

I replaced my floor but it was not an AMD part, the previous owner had bought it.  It had no flange to connect to the rear valance so I just got some sheet metal and made my own in the dimensions I needed to fit.    Pics of my measurements.  I've replaced almost all the rear of my car, it had been hacked up during a previous repair so I have no idea how close I am to  OEM.  The tail light panel is original.

Thanks Mitch.
Anyone else?

Charger-Bodie

Sometimes on a 68-70 charger the rear x member and or the rear part of the trunk floor ext need to be massaged ahead for the corners to fit correctly. I've seen many like this from the factory to differing degrees.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ht4spd307

hey don got the same issue i'd like to find out the same thing if anyone can measure of a original boot pan

ht4spd307

hey don any luck with that rear panel    :scratchchin:

mopar4don

I am close.
At least it looks good.

I have no idea where I am as far as heights from the trunk floor.
So if anyone would be willing to get me some measurements I would appreciate it
The measurements could be anywhere along the trunk lip (maybe using a plumb bob if your rockers are level)

ht4spd307

heres a little read up may help you Don :scope: With mine when i line up the tail panel on the quarters my floor pan seems too high at the rear as if the rails have to go down 1/2 inch i can push  down on the rails and floor pan to make it  line up  but the panels will have load as the rails spring back which i don't think is correct

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=63815.0

Brock Lee

Has anyone ever researched how these originally went together? Was it one panel at a time, or did a series of panels get assembled on a jig and dropped in place? I would think knowing the original assembly order would help. Especially after the original parts not only had tweaks made on the assembly line, but 40 years of flexing and settling.

mopar4don

Quote from: ht4spd307 on May 19, 2016, 10:11:21 AM
heres a little read up may help you Don :scope: With mine when i line up the tail panel on the quarters my floor pan seems too high at the rear as if the rails have to go down 1/2 inch i can push  down on the rails and floor pan to make it  line up  but the panels will have load as the rails spring back which i don't think is correct

Thanks for the link ht, I'll use those dimens and check mine

mopar4don

Quote from: mopar4don on May 19, 2016, 01:14:42 PM
Quote from: ht4spd307 on May 19, 2016, 10:11:21 AM

Thanks for the link ht, I'll use those dimens and check mine

Quote from: Brock Lee on May 19, 2016, 12:44:44 PM
Has anyone ever researched how these originally went together? Was it one panel at a time, or did a series of panels get assembled on a jig and dropped in place? I would think knowing the original assembly order would help. Especially after the original parts not only had tweaks made on the assembly line, but 40 years of flexing and settling.

I would be interested in this