News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

boiling gas?

Started by Bandit72, April 12, 2006, 08:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

ok everyone, new problem (imagine that) now that the weather is getting warmer my car seems to have developed a problem. when it is cold it will start right up and run fine, no problems until i floor it for more than afew seconds...thats when it seems too "run out of gas" as soon as i let up it's fine...i assumed my floats were too low..so i didn't think much of it until i got about 15 miles from home and it died all together in a walmart parking lot...got out and looked at my filter by teh carb and there was no gas in it...figured the "lower" filter was plugged so i changed it in the parking lot...no big deal. Get in and go to start it..nothing coming through the pump, but the lower filter did start to fill up with fuel...ran home, grabbed spare pump i had laying around put it on...(all of this took about 2 hours to get accomplished) put it on and car started and ran fine all the way home (except when i floored it so i figured it was still the floats) pulled into my driveway and it died again....popped the hood and looked, and sure enough both filters were empty.  >:( I crawled under the car hoping to find a small hole int eh line or something that would let air in...couldn't find anything...let car sit for awhile and it fired back up...ran for awhile and died again  >:( i reached down and touched my fuel line (going into my lower filter, then to the pump...the line that runs along the fenderwell of the car) and it was fairly hot but i could still touch if for awhile and not have any problems...someone told me that gas has a really low boiling point and it was vapor locking itself in the line but i don't know how far i trust the person that told me this...any help is appriciated

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

dodge freak

Not sure if this is it but I have hear that the fuel tank vent gets plug, I have never seen it, and all you have to do is remove the gas cap and the gas will flow again. I do know of people who have had problems like your and just put a electrical fuel pump by the gas tank it it worked.

deputycrawford

That is so tell tale sign of a fuel pump push rod that has been eaten. Pull your fuel pump push rod out of the engine after you order the new one from Manciniracing.com. You will find that it is around a 1/4 inch shorter than the new one. I can' tell you how many times that has been a problem. Easy fix that doesn't take very long. Mancini sells the hardened one so It shouldn't happen again.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

71440charger

I agree with deputy it is fuel pump push rod.
Vapor Pressure for street grade gasoline ranges from 9.0 to 15.0 psi 
(pounds per square inch) depending on the air temperature of the
environment. Generally, if the gasoline's vapor pressure is above 8 psi
vapor lock becomes a problem. The higher the average air temperature of a locale, the lower the Vapor
Pressure needs to be. The lower the median temperature of an area, the
higher the Vapor Pressure must be to properly atomize the fuel with air for
proper engine combustion. so The boiling point of gasoline need not be reached to have vapor lock, it is
the Vapor Pressure of the gasoline that is important. There are a number of
variables in the vapor lock problem. The higher the octane
of the gasoline, the higher the volatility the greater the chance for vapor
lock.

The Killer Cam

dodge freak

Fuel pump push rod? Sorry. I just in to high revving small blocks. Did not even think of that. Does sound like that could do it.

deputycrawford

I guess I should have asked what engine. Small blocks don't have the puch rods do they? They have the arm like the Chebbies.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

71440charger

if i am not mistaken my 318 has a push rod that sit on top of the arm on the fuel pump and moves um and down with the cam i believe
The Killer Cam