News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

-4degree cam any drawbacks..i.e.overheating issues?

Started by sext7366, April 13, 2006, 12:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

Picked out my cam and it will give me enough torque even installed at 4 degrees retarded, or -4 degrees, but are there any drawbacks to this?

dodge freak

I was always told to either put in straight up or advance it, because the timing chain does stench, get longer, after awhile.

firefighter3931

Retarding the cam 4* will move the powerband approx 200 rpm....backwards.  ;) Shouldn't cause any overheating conditions.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sext7366

So I should expect more torque and less hp, but will this also affect idle quality if the Lobe seperation is 114 advance it =110 retard it =118? is this correct?

firefighter3931

Quote from: sext7366 on April 13, 2006, 08:36:11 PM
So I should expect more torque and less hp, but will this also affect idle quality if the Lobe seperation is 114 advance it =110 retard it =118? is this correct?

Basicly, you're just moving the powerband around by advancing/retarding the timing. The power numbers will remain relatively the same but where they come in will be altered. By advancing the cam the low end power comes on sooner and falls off sooner. Retarding the cam timing will have the opposite effect. Idle quality should be pretty close either way.

You are correct ; 114* installed at 110* is 4* advanced. Installed at 118* is 4* retarded. Inmo, that cam should be installed at 110*. That's a pretty wide lsa and it will have a broad powerband anyway.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs