News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine vacunm, Dwell, Point Gap

Started by blinkey, April 27, 2016, 06:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blinkey

69 charger 440 stock is 13 at idle ok for my vacumn cause my car seems to be running rough or misfiring. Im thinking its a vacunm leak, It starts just fine but when I put a load on it she stumbles, what you guys think . Then later  in the dark while engine is running I will spray wires with water see how they are, some say use soapy water, is that better,,,why

myk

Could be your distributor settings are off too.  What's your initial?  Total?   Are you running a vacuum advance or just mechanical?   Also I've never needed to spray liquids at my wires to see if they're leaking energy; looking under the hood when it's dark out should be sufficient...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

blinkey

Well guess what, I hope alot of people read this cause I found the problem. I checked the  dwell and it was 32 for the longest time, but when I checked it now it was 22 so I changed the points and got it up to 31 and it runs great now set the point gap at 17,,,Wow luckey guess,,,,,When it was at 22 it started fine but when I drove it it bogged and engine ran rough, so lesson learned I guess,,,dwell is important it MUST be between 30-35 or it will run like crap

XH29N0G

Thanks for posting.  I had a similar issue with dwell a few years ago and seeing this would have helped. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

scratchinfotraction

that's why nobody likes running points any more. the need adjusting every so often to keep it in peak tune.

I like tinkering with my points dist.

now days it is hard to find someone who knows how to trouble shoot a points IGN system.

I ran a pertronix points conversion a long time and when I got another points car I for got what a bad cond. acted like when it goes out.

or how about a BR going out for no start issue?

I have converted many 5th aves to points to get them up and running 20 yrs after the stock elct crap is done.

my 440 with whiplash cam likes 27*-28* dwell