News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ted Stephens Daytona Wreck Under the Knife

Started by Aero426, May 18, 2016, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I would think  the plug,nose and fenders are fiberglass.  :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

held1823

<thread derail post>

curt, have you considered making front end sheet metal to sell? nose, valance, z-brackets, etc

if so, i'd like to discuss it with you

<and now back to the regularly scheduled programming>
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

charger_fan_4ever

Saw on Fb people are saying its all AMD parts.

The pic of the plug really looks like steel. Looked in the 70 charger section of AMD under fenders and only a patch panel available, no hood either.

1RareBird

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on October 28, 2016, 12:54:33 PM
Saw on Fb people are saying its all AMD parts.

The pic of the plug really looks like steel. Looked in the 70 charger section of AMD under fenders and only a patch panel available, no hood either.

From what I just read from a  "Chop Cut Rebuild" response, they are saying the hood, fenders, trunk lid and wing are all OEM parts. No mention of the nose or front valence.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

69bfan

I have no ideal on if the team is using OEM parts, but you have to know that Ted has been collecting parts for 40 years for these cars and he may as well have all of the unique parts to put it back together with either NOS or excellent used components.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

charger chris

Quote from: 69bfan on October 28, 2016, 07:59:13 PM
I have no ideal on if the team is using OEM parts, but you have to know that Ted has been collecting parts for 40 years for these cars and he may as well have all of the unique parts to put it back together with either NOS or excellent used components.

That could be very true. And that could be one of the reasons he has held on to that car as long as he has. Some of those part may have came off that car.  :scratchchin: :popcrn:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Moparpoolman

Good thing they started with a "very solid piece of original air" :lol:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Moparpoolman on October 29, 2016, 08:51:29 AM
Good thing they started with a "very solid piece of original air" :lol:

This is the new "politically correct" form of rebody restoration, it's now become more fashionable for a "nobody" restoration so as to not endanger any potential rebody donor vehicles  :icon_smile_big:

500Jon

Its the new 'Maximus' trend... :scratchchin:

Do all the bodywork and CLEARCOAT it.
Saves a fortune in paint and prep... :slap:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

odcics2

Quote from: 500Jon on October 31, 2016, 10:26:30 AM
Its the new 'Maximus' trend... :scratchchin:

Do all the bodywork and CLEARCOAT it.
Saves a fortune in paint and prep... :slap:

HEY!! That's what my Hot Wheels Charger looked like when all the paint fell off!!   :smilielol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Derwud

Wondering what would you do, if it was your car? Would you really just sit it on the front lawn and let it rot? Or would restore it publicly so that EVERYONE knows what you are doing?

What did people do before the Interweb and AMD... Re body....
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Derwud on October 31, 2016, 03:26:06 PM
Wondering what would you do, if it was your car? Would you really just sit it on the front lawn and let it rot? Or would restore it publicly so that EVERYONE knows what you are doing?

What did people do before the Interweb and AMD... Re body....

People still rebody now, even after the Interweb & AMD.  LEON.

odcics2

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 31, 2016, 10:46:50 PM

What did people do before the Interweb and AMD... Re body....?

Find an original donor car for all the needed metal.  Arizona, New Mexico Nevada CA has cars that would be fine. Use it for body panels, floor pans, trunk pans, frame rail sections, etc. 

A car restored with  OEM metal is better than one with repop parts.  Heck, at least the original stuff fits right! 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi-hampton

Quote from: odcics2 on November 01, 2016, 01:54:05 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 31, 2016, 10:46:50 PM

What did people do before the Interweb and AMD... Re body....?

Find an original donor car for all the needed metal.  Arizona, New Mexico Nevada CA has cars that would be fine. Use it for body panels, floor pans, trunk pans, frame rail sections, etc. 

A car restored with  OEM metal is better than one with repop parts.  Heck, at least the original stuff fits right! 

I have to agree with this & what I usually do since I hate aftermarket. LEON.

500Jon

AMD versus REBODY? :scratchchin:

As we all know, the Charger bodies were NOT specially selected for a myriad of modifications before being turned into R/T's and then C500's or Daytona's.
Even the hemi boxes were a rather badly fitted after thought at best!

So in my eyes, a rebody is still a viable option for a super-rare Mopar!
Trouble is, in two years time the first of the C500's will be FIFTY years old and so will their DONOR bodies TOO... :slap:

No point replacing RUST with MORE RUST... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I know guys chopping OFF first-generation TAIWANESE quarter panels (rust issues) and replacing them with REAL MOPAR TIN!!!
WE LIVE AND LEARN... :popcrn:

TheAutoArchaeologist

Just a heads up.  They have the original fender tag and VIN plate now.  They were able to get it from the old guy that had them.

500Jon

Sweet! :2thumbs:
Old Guy saw sense once he realised it would look bad with two rebodied Daytona's with the same vin numbers... :slap:

There is a God and he drives Mopar...(maybe even a Wingcar...) :scratchchin:

charger chris

So that's the reason he is putting the car back together. :popcrn:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

hemi-hampton

Quote from: charger chris on November 07, 2016, 07:59:37 AM
So that's the reason he is putting the car back together. :popcrn:

Thats what I thought. Now it will be selling for big bucks. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

charger chris

Well the Daytona is done seen a video on Facebook. It was a short one but it is done. :drool5:

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

TheAutoArchaeologist

I actually saw it in person a few days ago.  And it isn't all the way done.

charger chris

Quote from: Devil on November 13, 2016, 05:00:06 PM
I actually saw it in person a few days ago.  And it isn't all the way done.
The metal work is done right or did they just make it look like it?  So are they going to be finisheing it all the way so they can drive it?

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

TheAutoArchaeologist

Most of the metal work is done.  They will continue ahead an put more parts on the car.

qwick68

68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise