News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fouled spark plugs?

Started by rikubot, May 19, 2016, 08:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hi guys, beginner mechanic here. I've got a somewhat simple question. I recently pulled my spark plugs to see what kind of shape they were in since they were really rough since the last time I changed them. I found that half of them were very fouled, and the other half looked pretty good. The fouled ones had a tar-like substance on a good amount of the curved metal pin thing. Does this mean my rings are bad? I have been messing around with tuning my carb, but I thought it was doing alright. I want to say I probably have less than 500 miles on these new plugs. Anyway, thanks in advance for your input. Oh and I forgot to mention that I don't ever see grey smoke...
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

Pic of the plug.
When were the plugs pulled? I am assuming after it sat and idled? Very specific ways to read plugs.

rikubot

I pulled the plugs today after it was driven for a little bit. I'll upload the pic I took earlier when I get to my desktop.
'69 Charger, 440/727

crj1968

rikubot

I had a feeling it was rings. Is that a tough fix? I think I already know the answer...
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

Your response is what i figured it would be. To check your plugs for a "cruise reading" you should shut the car down and coast to the side of the road and pull them. If you went for a cruise, then drove home, accelerated up your driveway, idled and then shut the car down, your cruise readings are gone.

Also, which "half" of the plugs were fouled vs which ones were clean? All on 1 bank? Which cylinders?

rikubot

I'm pretty sure 6,2,5 and 1 were decently tar-like while the others looked more less okay.
'69 Charger, 440/727

myk

Please post pictures if you can.  Fellas, couldn't this be an ignition issue as well?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

rikubot

Sorry that took so long. Here's a pic:

'69 Charger, 440/727

crj1968

Is the gap filled in with gunk? Hard to tell from pic.

rikubot

Yeah it had a good amount of it in there. Oddly enough that picture was taken with good lighting. And I lightened it a little. Sorry for the poor pic but yeah, it was gunked haha
'69 Charger, 440/727

XH29N0G

Do you have another picture across the gap?  I find it surprising that the porcelain is not completely covered, but am not an expert in this matter.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

rikubot

I don't and I cleaned it up before I put it back in. I did find it strange as well that the gunk was only on the one side. It seemed concentrated on the side of the little curved pin.
'69 Charger, 440/727

crj1968

Well if it was me (and I'm no expert on the matter either) I think I'd go get a set of hotter plugs, maybe make the gap a little bigger, check timing and see how it goes.

It's obviously oil getting in...but you know, maybe you can get through the summer. 

You can also do a compression test and that could tell you if it's rings or valve seals.

rikubot

I see. I'll try to get my buddy to stop by and get his timing light on it. Any reason my rings or valve seals crapped out on me? I'll check my compression ASAP too so I can narrow it down. I'm looking for the gauge you put in the plugs and crank the motor? Should I stop driving it?
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Worst case scenario, my rings need replaced, can I do this with the motor in the car by pulling the heads and dropping the oil pan to get to the piston rods and pull the cylinders through the top?
'69 Charger, 440/727

crj1968

I don't see any reason to stop driving it. Worst it could do is foul a plug.

Yes a gauge you screw in to the plug hole and crank over- it has a check valve in it so it wont suck the gauge back down when on the intake stroke.

Probably would really be easier in the long run to pull the engine and go through it all if it needs rings.

What is the history of the motor? Sat a long time? Mileage? 

rikubot

She's got low mileage after the rebuild. It sat for a year or so, maybe a little longer. It got started every few months for about 5 or so years just sitting. I'd say less than 5k miles after the rebuild which took place around 2003-2004.
'69 Charger, 440/727

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: rikubot on May 21, 2016, 08:16:32 PM
She's got low mileage after the rebuild. It sat for a year or so, maybe a little longer. It got started every few months for about 5 or so years just sitting. I'd say less than 5k miles after the rebuild which took place around 2003-2004.
If you were starting the car for short times and not driving it that will cause the plugs to foul..... :2thumbs: Get some new plugs and go drive it about 20 miles and then pull the plugs and check them... :Twocents:

rikubot

Ok I'll pick up some new plugs next time I go out. I did want to say that my car does burn oil at a semi slow rate, but I have always had problems with leaky valve covers. I need to pull them tomorrow and get them fixed up. I don't skimp on gaskets either so I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong.
'69 Charger, 440/727

crj1968

Oh man there's a whole thread somewhere about trying to seal up valve covers.

I FINALLY got mine to seal up with ultra copper sealer, on both sides of the gasket. lightly tighten, as not to squeeze out sealer.
Let set overnight, tighten further the next day.

It only took me 3 tries on the right side.  :brickwall:

myk

I couldn't solve my valve cover leak.  F**k it lol...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

rikubot

I don't feel as bad about my leaky covers if you guys had issues as well. I always doubt my skills or lack there of.
'69 Charger, 440/727

myk

We've all been there/are there.  I'm not saying it's right, but it seems that sealing these things is more difficult than it should be...

XH29N0G

I keep thinking about writing this and then the description of tar-y substance makes me stop to think my experience is not relevant, but I will put it down anyway.  I had a black carbon fouling (and do have some oil on some plugs) with a recently rebuilt engine.  A lot of the carbon fouling went away once I properly tuned my car at idle.  I also had spent a considerable amount of time at idle trying to tune it for best vacuum.  My engine has a larger cam than I think you have, and wanted 20-22 degrees initial for highest.  I have an Air fuel gauge and I also saw that the best idle ended up considerably leaner.  I also found that the plugs have cleaned up.  I still have the oil, but it is on the back cylinders (not spread around like you describe) and I am suspecting the PCV. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....