News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel/tire combo regrets?

Started by funknut, May 25, 2016, 06:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank1966

Quote from: 68pplcharger on December 05, 2016, 12:24:16 PM
I have no regrets on my tire wheel combo. It was pricey but well worth it... 17X11 rear and 17X9.5 front with ZR17 315 rear tires  and ZR17 275 front goodyears
Hey nice! How did you fit 315,s? Most say 10 inch wheel with 5.5bs. And the front? Seems almost impossible to get 9.5 with 275?

68pplcharger

Quote from: frank1966 on December 06, 2016, 11:08:19 AM
Quote from: 68pplcharger on December 05, 2016, 12:24:16 PM
I have no regrets on my tire wheel combo. It was pricey but well worth it... 17X11 rear and 17X9.5 front with ZR17 315 rear tires  and ZR17 275 front goodyears
Hey nice! How did you fit 315,s? Most say 10 inch wheel with 5.5bs. And the front? Seems almost impossible to get 9.5 with 275?

Thanks Dino and Frank1966!
I've converted my rear suspension to Coil overs which helped fit those monsters in the back.
The front was more challenging, but not bad. Rolled the lip at the top with a rubber mallet and patience. I used a porta-power to flare the front fenders 2 inches. This is also time consuming and takes patience to get it right and not mess the angle of the lower rear portion of the fender. The end result looks slick and is hardly noticeable unless sitting next to a factory fender. Hardest part of the whole package was setting the ride height so the tires won't rub turning corners. Sweet spot is approximately 24.5" wheel opening height, setting the front tires up in the fender about one inch with only about 1 1/4" inside the outer edge of the fender. Now I can drive the corners as hard as I can stand with no issues.

frank1966

Nice, on a side note, how is the coil over conversion? I dont have my car road ready but never drove a car with torsion bars and leafs!

68pplcharger

Quote from: frank1966 on December 06, 2016, 04:18:30 PM
Nice, on a side note, how is the coil over conversion? I dont have my car road ready but never drove a car with torsion bars and leafs!

My conversion wasn't to bad, but I've been fabricating for twenty+ years. You can get pre-made conversion from places like XV Engineering. They are pretty good from what I hear.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: myk on May 26, 2016, 09:29:16 AM
I was told to avoid spacers at all costs?  
[/quote

I ran my  10in. stock car wheels with 2 half in. spacers on each side for 19 years with no problem. The "new" bolt on type should be bullet proof. :yesnod:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

funknut

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 14, 2016, 08:41:51 PM
   I ran my  10in. stock car wheels with 2 half in. spacers on each side for 19 years with no problem. The "new" bolt on type should be bullet proof. :yesnod:

Yea, I worried about spacers and one day I did the math.  Using 1/2"-20 lugs torqued to 75 lb-ft you get a clamping force of 9,000 lbs per lug for a total of 45,000 lbs per wheel (60,000 lbs if you torque to 100 lb-ft).  So 45,000 lbs of pressure squeezing the wheel mating surface, the spacer and the hub.   The lugs will not be taking any shear stress (pushing against the threads), what's holding the wheel to the spacer and the spacer to the hub is the static friction created by the 45,000 lbs of clamping force.

There are two things that can get you into trouble with spacers.  Make sure you torque everything to spec (duh), and make sure you're using a solid spacer material (also duh).

If you think about it, using a spacer is no different than having a wheel with a thicker mounting surface, or a thicker hub.

With the right amount of torque that spacer isn't going to budge.