News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel/tire combo regrets?

Started by funknut, May 25, 2016, 06:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 26, 2016, 12:41:21 PM
No matter what another wheel will catch your eye after you purchase a set. Best advise is to take your time and make sure the wheel you buy is really the one you want.

This is especially true.
I have no regrets, but if I had to do it again I would have gone either a little wider in the back or another 1/4"-1/2" outward offset.

MYK, the 2 pics Clayton posted illustrate the difference of a soft lip wheel. The top wheel has a stamped lip, whereas the bottom wheel has a rounder, "soft" lip.  :Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

When I was searching for my "second set" I fell in love with these Cragar Eliminator 500's.   I was torn between the 15x8 & the 17x8...In hindsight I prolly should have went with the 17"

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

funknut

Great pic and beautiful car!

A note to all:  If you haven't already, post up a pic and your wheel/tire combo information in this sticky thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63191.0.html

I used it extensively when doing my research.

Thanks,

Clay

crj1968

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 26, 2016, 08:31:18 PM
When I was searching for my "second set" I fell in love with these Cragar Eliminator 500's.   I was torn between the 15x8 & the 17x8...In hindsight I prolly should have went with the 17"

Those look great... like the old Hurst wheels.

crj1968

timmycharger

Quote from: Lennard on May 26, 2016, 04:11:41 PM
Old school Vectors. No regerts!  :2thumbs:

I'm really liking the looks of the old school Vectors!

funknut

Following up on this.  I made my purchase and I'm pretty stoked!  I went with the Torq Thrust.  295/45R18 in the back on 18x10 w/ 5.75" backspace and 255/45R18 on the front on 18x8 with 4.5" backspace.  Here's a pic of the old and new rears side by side.  It will be a couple weeks before I get them installed and out of the garage to get a good pic as I'm waiting for some suspension parts.  

I installed them to check fitment and the rear is pretty close to the leaf.  I measured about a hair over 1/2" between the tire and spring.  Easy enough to add a spacer if necessary, though.  The fronts may try to rub on the forward fender lip, but hopefully once I get the proper camber/caster dialed in there will be sufficient room.

The one thing that surprised me is the gray color is not as dark as I was expecting.  In the shadow it looks darker but in direct light the spokes are much lighter than they look in pictures.

crj1968

Looking forward to seeing how they fit.

I've seen guys use a longer bracket to push the lower front fender out a little if needed.  Not noticeable but might give you that extra 1/2" of space

cdr

Quote from: funknut on June 15, 2016, 12:49:33 PM
Following up on this.  I made my purchase and I'm pretty stoked!  I went with the Torq Thrust.  295/45R18 in the back on 18x10 w/ 5.75" backspace and 255/45R18 on the front on 18x8 with 4.5" backspace.  Here's a pic of the old and new rears side by side.  It will be a couple weeks before I get them installed and out of the garage to get a good pic as I'm waiting for some suspension parts.  

I installed them to check fitment and the rear is pretty close to the leaf.  I measured about a hair over 1/2" between the tire and spring.  Easy enough to add a spacer if necessary, though.  The fronts may try to rub on the forward fender lip, but hopefully once I get the proper camber/caster dialed in there will be sufficient room.

The one thing that surprised me is the gray color is not as dark as I was expecting.  In the shadow it looks darker but in direct light the spokes are much lighter than they look in pictures.

10'' wheel with 5.75 bs will rub the inside
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

funknut

Quote from: cdr on June 15, 2016, 03:06:47 PM

10'' wheel with 5.75 bs will rub the inside

You're probably right, it is close for sure, and could definitely rub if the tires flex once it gets rolling.  I will say, though, with the Nittos there's a lot less sidewall bulge than the BFGs, so the square profile helps but may not keep things from interfering.  I'll throw the rears on a take a pic.  I'll be installing disc brakes as well, so that could also affect the total offset.  Just need to see once I get everything installed.

Thanks for following along.  :cheers:

funknut

Quote from: crj1968 on June 15, 2016, 02:26:50 PM

I've seen guys use a longer bracket to push the lower front fender out a little if needed.  Not noticeable but might give you that extra 1/2" of space

Good info, I'll definitely look into this.   :2thumbs:

cdr

Quote from: funknut on June 15, 2016, 03:25:30 PM

I've seen guys use a longer bracket to push the lower front fender out a little if needed.  Not noticeable but might give you that extra 1/2" of space

Good info, I'll definitely look into this.   :2thumbs:

68 charger has no lower fender bracket. & yes the disc brake rotors are thicker than the drums
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

crj1968

Quote from: cdr on June 15, 2016, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: funknut on June 15, 2016, 03:25:30 PM

I've seen guys use a longer bracket to push the lower front fender out a little if needed.  Not noticeable but might give you that extra 1/2" of space

Good info, I'll definitely look into this.   :2thumbs:

68 charger has no lower fender bracket. & yes the disc brake rotors are thicker than the drums

:P  Well there you have it. I must be thinking of my old Duster....back to our regularly scheduled program.

funknut

A buddy of mine had 3/8" spacers so I threw one on to see.  Gives me a hair over 1" from the leaf:

cdr

bend the inner lower wheel well lip in a little, when you turn into a drive way & get the car in a bind it will, could maybe, cut the tire.

68charger440

Quote from: funknut on June 15, 2016, 10:02:29 PM
A buddy of mine had 3/8" spacers so I threw one on to see.  Gives me a hair over 1" from the leaf:

More pics would be great...  I have been trying to find good pics of 2nd gen chargers with 18s.
Do you have a pic of the spacer too?
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Kern Dog

cdr

funknut

Quote from: cdr on June 15, 2016, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on June 15, 2016, 10:45:53 PM
That tire is on backwards.

or just on the wrong side,   :D

Very likely. It was just a test fit so I wasn't paying too much attention and grabbed the first available.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: funknut on June 15, 2016, 11:40:21 PM

Very likely. It was just a test fit so I wasn't paying too much attention and grabbed the first available.
Do you have a side picture of the test fit?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

funknut

Quote from: 68charger440 on June 15, 2016, 10:25:29 PM
More pics would be great...  I have been trying to find good pics of 2nd gen chargers with 18s.
Do you have a pic of the spacer too?

The spacer is a 3/8" from Billet Specialties:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-wsg5l375

The garage is pretty tight now so I can't get a full side shot, but I did what I could given the space available.  The car's not rolling right now or I'd get some better pics. When I bought the car, the driver's LCA was bent, moving the front wheel rearward almost 1/2", so that's currently off the car.  I have a replacement, I'm just waiting for the pivot shaft bushings to arrive.  I should be able to get it out on the driveway this weekend and grab a few more pics.

Rear side:

Side profile from rear:

Rear side profile from front:

Front side shot.  Ride height is not final, it's sitting a little low right now.

Front wheel to forward fender.  Looks tight, but will need to see once disc conversion is done and proper caster is set.  Wheels are 4.5" BS which is generally regarded as OK, even on an 8" rim.

Front wheel to rearward fender.

Front.

funknut

Checked this morning and it has the right side tire markings with the arrows pointing the right way.

crj1968

Looks perty dang awesome to me !   :yesnod:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: funknut on June 16, 2016, 08:43:32 AM

or just on the wrong side,   :D

Checked this morning and it has the right side tire markings with the arrows pointing the right way.

I think Kern Dog was referring to the green stripe....that is there to signify the outer face of the tire....

Looks great though :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

funknut

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 16, 2016, 02:43:09 PM

I think Kern Dog was referring to the green stripe....that is there to signify the outer face of the tire....

Looks great though :cheers:

Ah, interesting!  Thanks for the clarification, I did not know that.

Appreciate the kind words.  I hope to have it all buttoned up, aligned and back on the road in 2 weekends (I won't be doing the alignment!).  Probably a tad unrealistic since I've never done anything like a brake conversion and suspension upgrade, but I guess I'll find out.  :rofl: