News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel Sizes - Battling Everyones Dilemma

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, October 30, 2009, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUE68RT4ME

Everyone seems to have questions about wheel sizes, offsets, manufacturers, etc.  It's also not the easiest to go through searching all the threads to try and find a snid-bit here and there of what you're looking for.  So, I decided to start a thread where everyone can list their wheel brands, sizes, offsets, and anything unique about them - maybe discuss any issues or advantages, and post a pic if they have it.  If you read this thread, please participate and encourage others you know to do so too.  It will help everyone, especially with the more custom wheels.  Thanks in advance for your participation!   :2thumbs:   :popcrn:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

METROID

What are you running on your car? I really like the way it sits. I'm going to be replacing my wheels soon and my car is 500 miles away at the moment so I can't post my measurements.

I found this to be very helpful when no one can give me an answer: http://vexer.com/68rt/wheelguide.html

:popcrn:

BLUE68RT4ME

The wheels you see on my car are 14X7 aluminum slotted mags.  I changed them to 15's, with 10's in the back and 7's in the front.  The 15X10's had 55 series 275's on them, they were really tall and filled out the wheel well.  I have a poor quality shot of the car with the 15's on but there are more pics of the 14's on my rebuild thread.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,55034.0.html

What I'm looking to upgade to is 17 or 18 in Magnum 500's.  Bull scored us a great deal at Specialty Wheels, but the biggest they go is 17X8's.  I could live with 17's, but I'd like them to be a little wider than 8.  That's my dilemma.  Not sure what I'm going to do yet.   :scratchchin:

I love the vexer link.  I just shared that with someone last week or so.  It's very helpful.   :2thumbs:

Here's that other pic I mentioned...
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on October 30, 2009, 01:01:32 PM
The wheels you see on my car are 14X7 aluminum slotted mags.  I changed them to 15's, with 10's in the back and 7's in the front.  The 15X10's had 55 series 275's on them, they were really tall and filled out the wheel well.  I have a poor quality shot of the car with the 15's on but there are more pics of the 14's on my rebuild thread.

What I'm looking to upgade to is 17 or 18 in Magnum 500's.  Bull scored us a great deal at Specialty Wheels, but the biggest they go is 17X8's.  I could live with 17's, but I'd like them to be a little wider than 8.  That's my dilemma.  Not sure what I'm going to do yet.   :scratchchin:

I love the vexer link.  I just shared that with someone last week or so.  It's very helpful.   :2thumbs:

I'm diggin' your 15" Slots.

I want to buy them.

tan top

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 30, 2009, 05:23:36 PM
Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on October 30, 2009, 01:01:32 PM
The wheels you see on my car are 14X7 aluminum slotted mags.  I changed them to 15's, with 10's in the back and 7's in the front.  The 15X10's had 55 series 275's on them, they were really tall and filled out the wheel well.  I have a poor quality shot of the car with the 15's on but there are more pics of the 14's on my rebuild thread.

What I'm looking to upgade to is 17 or 18 in Magnum 500's.  Bull scored us a great deal at Specialty Wheels, but the biggest they go is 17X8's.  I could live with 17's, but I'd like them to be a little wider than 8.  That's my dilemma.  Not sure what I'm going to do yet.   :scratchchin:

I love the vexer link.  I just shared that with someone last week or so.  It's very helpful.   :2thumbs:

I want to buy them.

love the  slots :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

kcederwall08

i'm running 18x9 0-offset/4.5 backspacing in front and 18x10 0-offset/ 5 backspacing in the rear.
Tires are 245/45/18's all around
The wheels are made by DPE and are the R05.

All around pretty good, but I could fit way more wheel in there.

Picture:

I also tried putting the 18x10's on the front(below), but they rubbed on the inside a little bit under full lock. So a couple mm of negative offset would fix that.

0X01B8

Quote from: METROID on October 30, 2009, 12:39:55 PM
I found this to be very helpful when no one can give me an answer: http://vexer.com/68rt/wheelguide.html

Yeah, that site is cool.   :whistling:

Here's my setup, Bassett DOT rims:

F-15x7 235/60 3-5/8 bs (-0.625 offset (-5/8 inch))
R-15x8 295/50 4-1/2 bs (0 offset)

BLUE68RT4ME

I want to buy them.

That can be arranged!  I will be on new rubber and wheels come spring.  They're sitting in the corner right now.  Where are you located?

kcederwall08 - I love those wheels!  I think I PM'ed you asking about them once.  Those are the one wheel I considered over 17-18" Magnum 500's.  So, you have no turning issues?  No rubbing?  They look AWESOME!  Is that QQ1 on your 68?
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on November 01, 2009, 10:07:14 PM

I want to buy them.

That can be arranged!  I will be on new rubber and wheels come spring.  They're sitting in the corner right now.  Where are you located?

I'm in Southern Illinois.

Just a little east of St. Louis  :coolgleamA:

bull

If and when this thread gets some wheels under it (ha, ha, I made a funny) I vote it gets a sticky. Toooooo many backspacing threads around here. :-\

I'll post the info on the back wheels but I don't have anything to share yet on the fronts.

My 15x8 Magnum 500 rear wheels have 4.5" backspacing with 295/50-15 Cooper Cobras and I wouldn't mind if the BS was about 4" or even 3.5" to get them closer to the lip of the wheel well. As it sits I have an inch of space between the widest part of the inside tires and the leaf springs and 1.5" between the lip on the quarter panel wheel well and the outside of the tires.

68blue

Those Cooper 295/50/15s look good, I need to find a set of those to go on the Cragars for the back wheels on my 68. :2thumbs:

kcederwall08

Blue68- The wheels had some rubbing issues on the inner front fender support due to the car being so low. It only rubbed a tiny bit (enough to take off the dirt from the metal), but I cut out the support on my car later on. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you aren't super low. the paint code is LL1 :)

Mr.Woolery

I agree that this thread should be made into a sticky if it pans out.  I'd also like to see wheel/tire info for all gens in here.
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

Supercharged Riot

I also agree... Actually this thread should follow this thread's structure & posting rules

Here's an example from another forum I visit.

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/166563-maximum-tire-rubber-fitment-thread.html

Brado

:icon_smile_big: Awesome thread.  I don't have any wheels on my 69 at the moment or I would share.  This thread is certainly a big help in deciding. Seeing the wheels and tires on the car is a huge benefit. Thanks guys. 

mike337

Ok, maybe it's a novice question, but I have to ask.  I too would like to go from my stock 14 inch rims to a 16, or 17 inch wheel. 

One thing that I would like to find out is if there is a ride quality penalty you pay for by going with a larger wheel and less tire wall.

Any one with some info out there?

Mike

defiance

Here are all the measurements I took from mine when I was ordering wheels.  Obviously, I was more focused on the rears; I just took 'normal' sizes for the fronts :) 

These measurements are from a '72 - I would assume it would apply equally to other 3rd gens as well.

63" width between stock hub mounting surface
74.5" confirmed safe tire outer limit (outside edge of current tires, which clear fender fine - more might be possible, not sure)

47.3" stock spring perch center-to-center
49.8" stock spring outer edge to outer edge
limiting widths: 49.8" inside, 63" mounting, 74.5" outer.
tire space: (0" - 6.6" - 12.35")

On mine, I used a doctordiff spring relocation kit - http://www.doctordiff.com/?page_id=41 - The front spring mounts are bolt-on, and the rear shackles are bolt-on.  The only non-bolt-on piece is the spring perches on the rear end, which must be ground off and relocated (preferably replaced). 

Here are the measurements on mine after spring relocation:
45.05" spring perch center-to-center
47.55" spring outer edge to outer edge
limiting widths: 47.55" inside, 63" mounting, 74.5" outer (with relocation kit)
tire space: (0" - 7.725" - 13.475") (with relocation kit)

I used torq thrust M 17x10.5 wheels with at +28mm offset along with a 1/4" spacer on each.  They're technically intended for mustang cobras, which means they're very readily available and relatively inexpensive.  A slightly lower offset, maybe something around 20-22, probably would probably have been perfect, but then you're probably talking about custom wheels.  In any case, the ones I used were: http://www.streetortrack.com/Torq-Thrust-M-Black-with-Shelby-cap-17x10.5-pr-22584.html

As for tires, I found Sumitomo HTR-Z 315/35zr17 tires pretty inexpensive.  In a perfect world I'd want something closer to 315/50zr17 - the sidewall on these is a little less than I like - but I couldn't find anything like that for anywhere close to a reasonable price. 

In any case, probably the two single most important specs - my rear tire section width is 12.6" on an adjusted offset of around +22mm.  I clear the springs by around 1", so I would definitely not go further inside, but I think I've still got some room between the fenders, so further extention outside would be possible.  I wouldn't go wider than 13" section width on around a 10mm offset though.  And again, this is with reloc kits, you'll need to lose an extra 1-1/8" on the inside without them. 

Also, all this is based on a tire with around 26" diameter.  I don't *think* there was anything that would get in the way of a slightly larger diameter, but I knew I was using this diameter anyway, so I wasn't looking closely.

For the fronts, I wasn't nearly so demanding, I just got the same rims in 8" width, 0mm offset - http://www.streetortrack.com/Torq-Thrust-M-Black-with-Shelby-cap-17x8-pr-22578.html and the same tires in 245/45zr17 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z&partnum=445WR7HTRZ&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0   -  I'm betting wider could be used, but these look perfect and I expect they'll perform really well. 

All this is copy/pasted from some other wheel thread, but I like your idea of putting all the experiences with tire/wheel size in one place.  I spent weeks searching through threads looking for measurements, giving up and educating myself on how to take the measurements myself, figuring out what I was wrong about, fixing it, and finally settling on a wheel/tire.  And before anyone says I should just have taken it to a local tire place, I tried that - several places wanted to look in a book and sell me something MUCH narrower because that's what the book said would fit.  Nobody was willing to go outside the defaults.

71green go

Quote from: kcederwall08 on October 31, 2009, 04:32:18 AM
i'm running 18x9 0-offset/4.5 backspacing in front and 18x10 0-offset/ 5 backspacing in the rear.

Picture:

I also tried putting the 18x10's on the front(below), but they rubbed on the inside a little bit under full lock. So a couple mm of negative offset would fix that.

WOW LOVE THAT CAR THE WHEELS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

troy.70R/T

Not the best pic but this is my 70 with Mickey Thompson 295/50/15 on the rear the back spacing is 3-3/8

troy.70R/T

Here is another pic. sorry not to much room in my garage.

troy.70R/T

OK I have a few more pics. There is about one inc clearance from the tire to the outer wheel lip on my car. The first pic I believe that there is no weight on the rear end so that is why it looks like there is so much clearance

Finn

18x8 in the front, 20x8.5 in back. No rub unless the air-ride is fully deflated.

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

dodgey68

hey kcederwall took ya advise :cheers:
i recently purchased  a set of rushforth rims 18x8 fronts 0-offset and 19x10 rear  0-offset 5 backspace,
i wanna go 245 fronts and 305 wide rear not sure on side wallprofile with 19's , i had a set of torq thrust in 17's i had  a set of 305  on the rear.... so they do fit , i removed that side wall  piece in the rear tubs  that pervents ya lowering to much, and i also cut and made a new tighter fitting front guard support thingy too, low is the go,, lol

Quote from: kcederwall08 on October 31, 2009, 04:32:18 AM

Picture:

when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

kcederwall08

Quote from: dodgey68 on December 24, 2009, 11:15:26 PM
hey kcederwall took ya advise :cheers:
i recently purchased  a set of rushforth rims 18x8 fronts 0-offset and 19x10 rear  0-offset 5 backspace,
i wanna go 245 fronts and 305 wide rear not sure on side wallprofile with 19's , i had a set of torq thrust in 17's i had  a set of 305  on the rear.... so they do fit , i removed that side wall  piece in the rear tubs  that pervents ya lowering to much, and i also cut and made a new tighter fitting front guard support thingy too, low is the go,, lol

Awesome Man! post up some pictures, lets see it!

I recently put a 2" spacer on the front and rear wheels just to see how much wheel width the car could really fit, and the wheels and tires Barely fit. I am lowered way too much in the front to drive it, but it could work with some modifying.

So with a 2 in spacer on a 9 in wheel it seems the max i could see anyone ever running is a 18x11 -25 offset wheel in front, not that anyone would want too

In the rear, there is still room between my leaf spring and wheel, so i don't know the max it could be back there. I estimate it would be about an 18x12 -25 offset?

Keep in mind the numbers in front are with my amount of camber and ride height, so yours may be different.

Fronts:

Rears:

dodgey68

i altered the rear tubs myself , got rid of the buldge bit  and front guards i altered the cross support, made a new tight guard huggin one,
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.