News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilt '69 440 with a mild freshen up

Started by C500, May 30, 2016, 03:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Specs on the build for my Charger 500....

Engine is the original factory 69 440 HP, stamped with upside down 'A', supposed to be 20 thou over, but measures at standard 4.32 size  :o  :slap:

Engine is with Taylors... one of the best Engine builders in town.

Block has been stripped, tanked, crack tested and sonic tested, deck surfaced, bored 30 thou. Crank grind -10 thou.

Rotating assembly balanced by Bob Mead at "Balancing Specialties" .... good old boy, balancing guru!

New goodies going into this build soon:

CAM: Crower Hydraulic (271HDP) Flat tappet, Advertised Duration 271/284, Lift .486/.496 Part number: 32242
HEADS: Stock factory cast iron 906 open chamber heads
PISTONS: JE / SRP Flat top, Forged aluminium, 2.062" compression distance, Part number 213455
PISTON RINGS: JE, matching pistons above
INTAKE VALVE: 2.08" Milodon Stainless Part number: 45650-8
EXHAUST VALVE: 1.75" Milodon Stainless Part number: 45655-8
VALVE SPRING RETAINERS: Comp cams, 10°, Part number 741-16
VALVE LOCKS: Comp Cams, 10°, single groove, part number 612-16
VALVE STEM SEALS: FelPro, Part number SS70014
LIFTERS: Topline Johnson Hylift, BB, Part number A0976
ROCKERS: Stock factory rockers
VALVE SPRINGS: Comp Cams, Single outer springs, Part number 911-16
TIMING CHAIN: Comp cams double roller set, Part number 2104
CARBURETOR: ProForm 750 cfm, Mechanical Secondary, Street series, Part number 67213
OIL PUMP: Melling, Part number M63
FUEL PUMP: Stock
WATER PUMP: Stock
HARMONIC BALANCER: 440 Source, Elastomer Dampner, Part number 200-1128

New rings, big end, cam and main bearings, ARP rod bolts. Push-rods to come.

Exhaust manifold: stock HP cast iron
Intake Manifold: Edelbrock CH4B, Aluminium dual plane
Ignition TBC ...

Should have the engine back assembled in a handful of weeks  :icon_smile_big:

Dunk
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

BSB67

Generally speaking, I like it very much.  However, I am making some assumptions as I'm not sure as to your goals.

A few items to consider:

1) There are no closed chamber 906 heads
2) You might be close on pump gas friendly compression ratio.  Measure volumes/distances and work closely with your engine builder
3) Consider some head bowl work if it is in your budget.

Good luck

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

C500

Quote from: BSB67 on May 30, 2016, 01:31:34 PM
Generally speaking, I like it very much.  However, I am making some assumptions as I'm not sure as to your goals.

A few items to consider:

1) There are no closed chamber 906 heads
2) You might be close on pump gas friendly compression ratio.  Measure volumes/distances and work closely with your engine builder
3) Consider some head bowl work if it is in your budget.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply.... was half asleep when I put closed chamber...corrected typo  :2thumbs:

The build is not together yet, but underway very soon - open to suggestions and advice on assembly.

The goal is to have a stock looking engine bay (aside from the carb of course, but hidden under the air cleaner) street cruiser with a bit of extra power, running on pump gas, good manifold vacuum for power brakes etc and a nice idle. I went with the lighter pistons with bigger valve pockets to keep the door open IF I decide to upgrade the cam and heads in the future.

Is the cam best installed at 112° LSA or slightly ahead at 106° with the factory exhaust manifold?

Thanks to the guys on the forum for info on the build, particularly Ron's advice and Bob's posts on various engine stuff  :cheers:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

firefighter3931

I like that build too Dunk  :icon_smile_big:

Here's a video of my buddy Denis's 66 Charger (member 66chargertoy) with the almost the identical build. He now has HP manifolds, CH4B intake manifold and the same HDP271 Crower cam. He recently upgraded to a set of the alloy Stealth heads and said it's making even better power than before. The increase was quite noticeable in his words. The previous heads were a set of unported 346 castings.

Check it out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9xOgxgui54

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

C500

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 30, 2016, 04:17:53 PM
I like that build too Dunk  :icon_smile_big:

Here's a video of my buddy Denis's 66 Charger (member 66chargertoy) with the almost the identical build. He now has HP manifolds, CH4B intake manifold and the same HDP271 Crower cam. He recently upgraded to a set of the alloy Stealth heads and said it's making even better power than before. The increase was quite noticeable in his words. The previous heads were a set of unported 346 castings.

Ron

Cheers Ron, cool vid too! What's your recommendation on the cam install?

firefighter3931

Quote from: C500 on May 31, 2016, 05:18:53 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 30, 2016, 04:17:53 PM
I like that build too Dunk  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Cheers Ron, cool vid too! What's your recommendation on the cam install?

Hey Dunk, for your build I like the HDP271 installed on a 108* ICL  :yesnod:

With the high quality 2.06CH pistons you will have good compression so there's no need to overadvance it for increased cylinder pressure.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

C500

Final engine update, details below for posterity...

CAM: Crower Hydraulic (271HDP) Flat tappet, Advertised Duration 271/284, Lift .486/.496 Part number: 32242
HEADS: Stealth heads, with a mild street port, flowing at 287 CFM
PISTONS: JE / SRP Flat top, Forged aluminium, 2.062" compression distance, Part number 213455
PISTON RINGS: JE, matching pistons above
ROCKER ARMS: Comp Cams Ultra Magnum Roller Rocker Arms, 1.5 ratio, Part Number 1621-16
VALVE SPRINGS: Comp Cams, Single outer springs, Part number 911-16
VALVE SPRING RETAINERS: Comp cams, 10°, Part number 741-16
VALVE LOCKS: Comp Cams, 10°, single groove, part number 612-16
VALVE STEM SEALS: FelPro, Part number SS70014
LIFTERS: Topline Johnson Hylift, BB, Part number A0976
TIMING CHAIN: Rollmaster chain set CS5110
CARBURETOR: Edelbrock AVS 2, 800 CFM, part number 1913
OIL PUMP: Melling, Part number M63
FUEL PUMP: Carter mechanical, Part number M4845
WATER PUMP: Stock
HARMONIC BALANCER: 440 Source, Elastomer Dampner, Part number 200-1128
IGNITION: Mopar HiRev 7500
DISTRIBUTOR: Firecore, Part number FC-1008B
IGNITION LEADS: Firecore, Part number FF-1204-7

New rings, big end, cam and main bearings, ARP rod bolts and Push-rods, Crank grind and balanced

Exhaust manifolds: stock HP cast iron
Intake Manifold: Edelbrock CH4B, Aluminium dual plane

Engine compression ratio 10.2