News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who's replaced their power steering box? And with what/ results

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 30, 2016, 08:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

myk

Yeah it's pricey.  I'm not going to be able to swing it until 4th quarter of this year.  I'm worried that if I wait that long they'll run into more production/supply issues, though.
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Derwud

Quote from: garner7555 on June 03, 2016, 06:03:27 AM
Quote from: Derwud on June 02, 2016, 09:40:59 PM
Quote from: 6spd68 on June 02, 2016, 03:04:59 PM
Quote from: Derwud on May 31, 2016, 08:47:17 AM
Waiting for my Borgenson box and adapter. Firm Feel and Steer & Gear do a great job putting lipstick on a pig....

What are your complaints on the Firm Feel and Steer & Gear?

Old tech, old parts.. I want new, I have driven the best of the 70's and the worst of the 90's, the 90's car steer and handle better on their worst day than 70's on their best day..

That is blunt, but I agree.  I have high expectations out of my car with aftermarket suspension, chassis stiffening, and the Borgenson box.   :shruggy:   :Twocents:
I put a Borgenson on my car but I'm still doing the restoration so I won't be able to test it anytime soon.  :brickwall:

I have driven my car in 1980 and in 82'ish with a fresh front-end rebuild and alignment, I remember it felt great, but even on it's best day, can't compete with how my 2005 truck feels with 80K miles on it! Yes, my truck would out handle my Charger from back in the day. Don't get me started on shipping cars without sway bars and how they felt!
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

b5blue

Mopar Nut

Quote from: myk on June 03, 2016, 05:19:05 AM
Lol, Derwud posted the link and the image of the coupler that I'm talking about on this page,  but I'll post it again for everyone:

Quote from: Derwud on May 31, 2016, 01:51:44 PM
Quote from: 68 RT on May 31, 2016, 11:48:54 AM
Quote from: myk on May 30, 2016, 07:50:21 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 30, 2016, 06:29:14 PM
Quote from: myk on May 30, 2016, 05:17:37 PM
Consider the Borgeson.  Lighter, smaller and it has the built in quick ratio too.  It does cost some more, but I'm told that the steering feel is completely modern with excellent feedback.  That's what I'm buying into later this year...
Don't you need to shorten the steering shaft when using the Borgeson?

No, there's an adapter that allows you to keep your stock steering column and not have to irreversibly modify anything...

States right on their website steering shaft has to be shortened and you have to use their coupler.

http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0010

"Bergman Auto Craft direct fit steering box coupler. This adapter eliminates the need for any steering column modification on A, B and E body vehicles when installing a Borgeson/Delphi power steering box. Comes with coupler rebuild kit and is finished in satin black powdercoat. Plunge style coupling replaces stock coupling on virtually every Mopar Includes coupler rebuild kit..."
:icon_smile_big:  Shoot I was looking on Borgeson website, thanks myk and thank you Derwud.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Aw damn it I should've mentioned I was looking at Bergmanautocraft.com.   sorry!

Quote from: b5blue on June 03, 2016, 11:20:23 AM
Looks a lot like a Jeep box? :scratchchin:

That's exactly what it is...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

toocheaptosmoke

Got a Lares box off rockauto for like 70 bucks w/o a core fee, been working fine for a couple years, no slop.  Shimmed the power steering pump regulator for less pressure and it works good.  :cheers:   Sold my old box at carlisle for $35.  :lol:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on June 05, 2016, 10:17:28 AM
Got a Lares box off rockauto for like 70 bucks w/o a core fee, been working fine for a couple years, no slop.  Shimmed the power steering pump regulator for less pressure and it works good.  :cheers:   Sold my old box at carlisle for $35.  :lol:

Sounds good to me.  :cheers: :2thumbs:

b5blue

Quote from: myk on June 03, 2016, 02:17:55 PM
Aw damn it I should've mentioned I was looking at Bergmanautocraft.com.   sorry!

So if a Jeep box we should figure out what one...Jeep is CHEAP!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 08, 2016, 04:02:12 AM
Got a Lares box off rockauto for like 70 bucks w/o a core fee, been working fine for a couple years, no slop.  Shimmed the power steering pump regulator for less pressure and it works good:cheers:   Sold my old box at carlisle for $35.  :lol:

How do you shim a pump regulator ?

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 08, 2016, 07:11:57 AM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 08, 2016, 04:02:12 AM
Got a Lares box off rockauto for like 70 bucks w/o a core fee, been working fine for a couple years, no slop.  Shimmed the power steering pump regulator for less pressure and it works good:cheers:   Sold my old box at carlisle for $35.  :lol:

How do you shim a pump regulator ?

Some info and a link in here, http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,117791.0.html

ChargerST

Quote from: b5blue on June 08, 2016, 05:51:41 AM
Quote from: myk on June 03, 2016, 02:17:55 PM

So if a Jeep box we should figure out what one...Jeep is CHEAP!

My money is on the 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) steering boxes.. mounting ears would have to be removed and new ones added though.

myk

I'm pretty sure the Borgeson boxes are unmodified.  I'll ask Bergman for sure...

Mopar Nut

Borgeson confirmed their mopar boxes are new, not modified.  :2thumbs:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Calif240

Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

ACUDANUT

My Money is Rock auto or your local parts store. 100.00 with trade in is better than a leaking PS gear box.  :Twocents: