News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who's replaced their power steering box? And with what/ results

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 30, 2016, 08:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I've got a leak on one, right at the fittings, and perhaps a seal. Probably best to just replace at this point.

Don't want to go auto parts brand, unless there is a much better unit available. Please advise on what you used, and why. Thanks.  :2thumbs:

Mopar Crazy

I went with Firm Feel PSB2.......$359  www.firmfeelinc.com   A friend put one in his 69 Coronet. Worked great..
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Charger-Bodie

I've gotton several from rock auto and have had only good luck.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mogre

I purchased mine from  "steer and gear" in Ohio because I could pick it up at Carlisle. Got the stage 2 unit. One of the best improvements I made. Great product and great people.

myk

Consider the Borgeson.  Lighter, smaller and it has the built in quick ratio too.  It does cost some more, but I'm told that the steering feel is completely modern with excellent feedback.  That's what I'm buying into later this year...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mopar Nut

Quote from: myk on May 30, 2016, 05:17:37 PM
Consider the Borgeson.  Lighter, smaller and it has the built in quick ratio too.  It does cost some more, but I'm told that the steering feel is completely modern with excellent feedback.  That's what I'm buying into later this year...
Don't you need to shorten the steering shaft when using the Borgenson?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

funknut

I got the FirmFeel stage 3 and love it. Still have the stock pitman arm.

myk

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 30, 2016, 06:29:14 PM
Consider the Borgeson.  Lighter, smaller and it has the built in quick ratio too.  It does cost some more, but I'm told that the steering feel is completely modern with excellent feedback.  That's what I'm buying into later this year...
Don't you need to shorten the steering shaft when using the Borgeson?

No, there's an adapter that allows you to keep your stock steering column and not have to irreversibly modify anything...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Derwud

Waiting for my Borgenson box and adapter. Firm Feel and Steer & Gear do a great job putting lipstick on a pig....
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

68 RT

Quote from: myk on May 30, 2016, 07:50:21 PM

No, there's an adapter that allows you to keep your stock steering column and not have to irreversibly modify anything...

States right on their website steering shaft has to be shortened and you have to use their coupler.

moparnation74

BrianShaughnessy

I bought a FirmFeel stage 2 for like $350 plus shipping back and forth across the country that probably came to something ridiculous like $450+ for Black Betty to replace a leaky old box.

Sinnamon got a Advance Auto rebuilt that I had a discount coupon for that cost me just over $50.

They both seem to work.  :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Derwud

Quote from: 68 RT on May 31, 2016, 11:48:54 AM

States right on their website steering shaft has to be shortened and you have to use their coupler.

http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0010

myk

Nope, look closer on their website.  There's ANOTHER adapter that eliminates any cutting...

holanae

I used steer and gear, and I really enjoy the improvement.  Cost less than FF.  My only complaint was that they didn't send back one of the original bolts.  I noticed because there was a huge difference in setting torque with the replacement bolt.  I called and they swore up and down that they sent all the original bolts.  I asked them to look around for me and they wouldn't.  The bolts heads are very specific for the steering box and it's noticable.  Cost was great, but I wouldn't use them again because of it.

myk

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mopar Crazy on May 30, 2016, 12:45:34 PM
I went with Firm Feel PSB2.......$359  www.firmfeelinc.com   A friend put one in his 69 Coronet. Worked great..

I went with their Stage 3 along with the Fast Ratio Idler and Pitman arms. The FR arms quicken the ratio from 15.7 to 1 down to around 12 to 1.
faster response, higher effort than even the Stage 3.
Do it...DO it.

6spd68

Quote from: Derwud on May 31, 2016, 08:47:17 AM
Waiting for my Borgenson box and adapter. Firm Feel and Steer & Gear do a great job putting lipstick on a pig....

What are your complaints on the Firm Feel and Steer & Gear?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

XS29L

Removed my power steering to change to manual steering.  This swap took about 45 pounds out of the nose of my 68 R/T.  Used an OE style aluminum steering box .  This car is more of a street/strip build.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Derwud

Quote from: 6spd68 on June 02, 2016, 03:04:59 PM

Old tech, old parts.. I want new, I have driven the best of the 70's and the worst of the 90's, the 90's car steer and handle better on their worst day than 70's on their best day..

Mopar Nut

Quote from: myk on May 31, 2016, 05:37:56 PM
Consider the Borgeson.  Lighter, smaller and it has the built in quick ratio too.  It does cost some more, but I'm told that the steering feel is completely modern with excellent feedback.  That's what I'm buying into later this year...

Nope, look closer on their website.  There's ANOTHER adapter that eliminates any cutting...
Do you have the part number?

Here's what reads on there website:

"Borgeson has now developed a modern power steering box for the 1962-1982 Mopars. This box fits both factory power & manual steering cars. The Borgeson conversion box offers a 14:1 quick ratio, firm modern power steering feel, drastically increased header clearance and a 10# weight savings over a factory power box. This box bolts directly to the stock K-member mounting location and fits the original 1-1/8" pitman arm. The steering column will need to be shortened for installation of this conversion box.
NOTE: This box will fit all original Mopar 1-1/8" pitman shafts. If you car has the larger 1-1/4" pitman shaft you will need to purchase part #800127.

STEERING COLUMN MODIFICATIONS
The original steering column shaft will need to be cut and shortened for installation. Connection to the box is then made by drilling and pinning our #036425 Mopar vibration reducing universal joint coupling to the shortened steering column shaft. Drill bit and pins included with coupler."

myk

Lol, Derwud posted the link and the image of the coupler that I'm talking about on this page,  but I'll post it again for everyone:

Quote from: Derwud on May 31, 2016, 01:51:44 PM

http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0010

"Bergman Auto Craft direct fit steering box coupler. This adapter eliminates the need for any steering column modification on A, B and E body vehicles when installing a Borgeson/Delphi power steering box. Comes with coupler rebuild kit and is finished in satin black powdercoat. Plunge style coupling replaces stock coupling on virtually every Mopar Includes coupler rebuild kit..."

garner7555

Quote from: Derwud on June 02, 2016, 09:40:59 PM
Quote from: 6spd68 on June 02, 2016, 03:04:59 PM

Old tech, old parts.. I want new, I have driven the best of the 70's and the worst of the 90's, the 90's car steer and handle better on their worst day than 70's on their best day..

That is blunt, but I agree.  I have high expectations out of my car with aftermarket suspension, chassis stiffening, and the Borgenson box.   :shruggy:   :Twocents:
I put a Borgenson on my car but I'm still doing the restoration so I won't be able to test it anytime soon.  :brickwall:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod