News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear end from a van - will it work on a B-Body?

Started by Ponch ®, April 14, 2006, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

I was discussing this in another thread - the van that I pulled my engine from also happens to have a Dana 60 with 4.10's. The guy is also selling it (cheap too, probably).

What (if any) are the mods that need to be made to it to fit in a 74 b-body?

BTW - the Van is a 73 Sportsman.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Rolling_Thunder

probably spring perches moved  and perhaps narrowed ?   not familiar with these so i cant say for sure
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

RD

I pulled a 9 1/4 from a 78 van to put in my ramcharger and had to relocate the spring perches in (i cannot remember how much).  I just measured that axle and it is 57 1/2" backing plate to backing plate (not by the flange but by where the drum and backing plate meet on outer circumference of backing plate).  The 68-70 chargers have a axle width of 54 15/16" flange to flange.  You may, unless you get the proper backspacing of rim, have tire rub on your wheel well.  Oh and of course, you will have to get your spring perches cut and remounted.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Badbob

It is too wide and has no provision for a snubber.

73dodge

buy it anyway if it's cheap and then flip it on ebay and use the extra money for parts for your charger or beer which ever suits you best
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

John_Kunkel

Dana 60's from vans and trucks have the full floating drums with 8 lugs, they can't be used in a car without narrowing and rerplacing the ends/axles.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

I agree with these guys.

You're looking at a cheap 4.10 Dana 60 which is definitely worth something, but it would need the full-boogie redo before it fits into a Charger.

BrianShaughnessy

Depending on what labor costs are in your area if you can't do it yourself it's probably not worth the hassle and expense compared to just ordering a new 60 from Strange or whomever you choose.     Ask around,  if you can get new axles and get it cut down and new ends and perches welded up the right way for $1K or less then it's OK.
My guess it that it'll be over that.   You have to check if it's a suregrip in there and then ask yourself if you really want to drive around with 4.10's - I would guess in your case that you'd probably be happy with 3.54's.    Since there's no pinion snubber,   Caltracs can be used but that's another $300+.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

XXSpiralXX

What are the ( If any ) Differences between a car Dana 60 and one from a truck. Besides the width and the apparent lack of a pinion snubber. And can I put a snubber on one from a truck?

John_Kunkel

Once again, truck/van Dana 60's have full floating brake drums and 8-stud lugs, the lack of a snubber is the least of the problems.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XXSpiralXX

I understand the full floating brake drums and the 8 lug bolt pattern. But car tubes could be welded on and custom axles could be procured. I believe Moser sells em for about 500 a pair? I could be wrong about the price though. Its been awhile since I looked into it. I was more curious about the dimensions of the center section and the wether or not the gears are interchangeable. If there were any strength differences between the two also. I know that last one sounds stupid. But the GM 12 bolt truck rear is actually not as heavy duty as the car rear I understand. The pinion is actually thinner and the ring gear is a smaller size too. So I was wondering if it was the same with the dodges, since the dana rears usually came in racecars and REALLY hi po models.

Ponch ®

thanks guys...looks like one way or the other i'd be in way over my head with it, so im gonna pass.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Blakcharger440

I wouldnt pass on it if it were a really good price.
You do not have to replace the tubes themselves just have them cut down to B-Body size (pass & driver side are not equal length) and put the mopar car ends on it.

You will also have to relocate the sping perches themselves.
Yes you will have to order new axles, but that is just peace of mind. Does this rear have a good suregrip in there also?
If so you could just order soime Moser or Strange Axles to fit.

To some people the lack of a pinion snubber is a big deal but to others it is not.

My 2 cents... :icon_smile_big: