News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New AMD rear bumper rusting

Started by b5blue, June 22, 2016, 06:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Well about 2 years was all it took. Mostly the car has been sitting on my covered carport. Waxed up when installed and left as is. Only washed the car 2 times due to mostly repairing things. I'll clean it up and see, guess this stuff needs tons of wax to keep up?  :shruggy:

armor64

outside or inside? i have a 78 GMC half tonne, and the inside of the bumpers (aftermarket) were bare steel, so i primed and painted steel grey to avoid this. If its the face, that really sucks, but does AMD have any guarantee on the bumpers?

johnnycharger

b5blue

It's little brown dots of rust, doubt my crappy camera will pick it up. (I'll try this weekend.) My Trim Parts door handles look like shit also so not surprised at AMD?  :shruggy:

Mike DC

Rust on the INSIDE or the OUTSIDE surface? 

If it's the outside surface (what the world sees on the assembled car) then it's bigger trouble. 

hemi-hampton

I think to get a chrome bumper triple chrome plated nowadays is at least $500+. I see new aftermarket like $200. How long do you think a single plated low quality cheap bumper will last :shruggy:

b5blue

The dots are outside, I've not looked behind yet. I just noticed checking things in the trunk. The car is a driver not washed much but bumpers waxed maybe 2 times. I've been working on things mostly up front and inside not fussing with keeping clean. I assumed bumpers did not need constant waxing? This is not an epic big issue for me just a heads up to others.
  To be clear "new" is about 2 years of mostly just sitting on my carport that has a roof but open on 2 sides.

lukedukem

Dang that sucks Neal, how close are you to the water?
I'm in Victoria, Texas and we are about 50 miles from the gulf coast with all that salt water.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Mike DC

We should start a thread: "Mass produced Asian repro parts with chrome plating that DOES last more than 3 years" . . .

b5blue

Luke I'm about a mile from the gulf. Mike it looks for me there would be no list.  :lol:

ht4spd307

b5blue

I'd hoped but didn't expect at this price point like Troy pointed out. Wax em up guys.  :lol:

DAY CLONA

Did any of your work involve grinding/sanding metal near the bumper on your car?....

My AMD rear bumper is approx 12 years old....ZERO RUST, and I usually put my car away wet, with little regard for waxing, car covers, etc, it's no garage queen has 10's of thousands of miles on it

b5blue

No grinding or anything else like that.

Mike DC

Maybe the answer is that you guys are comparing a repro bumper made 12 years ago with a more recent one. 

Brock Lee

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 22, 2016, 11:22:04 PM
I think to get a chrome bumper triple chrome plated nowadays is at least $500+. I see new aftermarket like $200. How long do you think a single plated low quality cheap bumper will last :shruggy:

That is not a really fair comparison. If you deal with platers you know that it is all about quantity. Shop outside the car restoration market as the quantity goes up, the price goes down, drastically. Then you have to factor in stripping the old plating off and repairing the metal before new plating is applied to the mix. The labor that goes in before is way more than a new piece of fresh metal.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 28, 2016, 08:54:27 PM
Did any of your work involve grinding/sanding metal near the bumper on your car?....

My AMD rear bumper is approx 12 years old....ZERO RUST, and I usually put my car away wet, with little regard for waxing, car covers, etc, it's no garage queen has 10's of thousands of miles on it

Was AMD around or exist 12 years ago? I thought they were newer then that? LEON.

Mike DC

The repro 68/69 bumpers were on the market for a couple years before AMD debuted.  

DAY CLONA

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 29, 2016, 07:40:48 PM

Was AMD around or exist 12 years ago? I thought they were newer then that? LEON.

AMD started in 2001/2002 that's when Greg/Mark H of AMD started contacting individuals that had NOS sheetmetal to use for their reproductions, I bought my bumper from them in late 2004...it was made in Taiwan, in fact I started the build of my Daytona in Nov 2004, after receiving the body in Oct 2004, the car was finished on March 2005 for a MCG photo shoot in April, I had purchased the following from AMD in Nov 2004, the rear bumper, rear valance, dutchman panel, trunk floor, trunk extenstions, rear bumper trunk braces...they didn't have the valance corners available at the time, so I used Charger Specialties corners, of all the AMD pieces that I bought, only the trunk extensions required some rework, everything else was pretty much childs play to fit/install...the rear qtrs were NOS, and before anybody goes extolling the virtues of "factory NOS" sheetmetal, I actually spent more time installing/tweaking them than I have the other 2 Chargers that I later installed AMD full qtrs on 

LaOtto70Charger

Processing of chrome plating may have changed since than too.  The company I work for was looking at changing zinc di-chromate on parts because the chlorine gas used in the processing was becoming a no-no.  May not be apples to apples since it is not necessarily the same coating but just throwing out that chrome plating may not be exactly the same these days.

I know in the last two years I replaced all the lugnuts on my Dakota because the chrome steel pressed over the lugnuts was starting to come off and strip with all brand new solid chrome plated lugnuts.  Decent priced ones from Autozone and they have all started to rust also.  Especially the ones on the front that get the extra brake dust.

ACUDANUT

Talk about rust. My Cragar S/S rims, that never see rain and the Charger is always in the Garage.. Have rust on them.  :brickwall:
Today's chrome sucks.

Brock Lee

The factory plating wasn't all that great either. I have a NOS 1968 bumper on my car. It was still in the original box when I got it. The box showed no evidence of being exposed to the elements, yet it has copperish specs in the plating when you look close.

hemi-hampton

I never heard of AMD until they started bombarding the Mopar Mags with ads, which seemed to be around late 2000 something, like 2008 or 9?  :shruggy: LEON.

Brock Lee

b5blue

I recall several years ago there was a big write up about pollution in the eastern country region. Gross polluters dumping toxins secretly were screwing things up badly and officials were desperately trying to clamp down. I figured that if prices didn't shoot up corners would be cut in the long run.
  That anything is available, even less the huge variety of parts out now kinda blows my mind. I posted this as a heads up, if I'd known to keep this stuff sealed up I would have slapped some wax on there every few months. I get teased by my friends for not washing my car...it's dirty about all the time. I'm not waxing a paint job that is just a coat of protection, the entire thing will be gone back over later. This bumper is peppered up pretty good now, mostly along the topside of it.     

ACUDANUT

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Brock Lee on July 01, 2016, 04:44:48 PM
"AMD" is one of several brands owned by a parent company.

http://www.autometaldirect.com/page/about-us.html

The AMD brand in particular goes back to 2006.

http://www.zoominfo.com/s/#!search/profile/company?companyId=354257639&targetid=profile

Like I said in my earlier posts, AMD was started around 2001, actually a little earlier, Mark H split from Goodmark to start his own venture AMD, I was debuting the 71 Dayclona Daytona at Carlisle in 2002, my associates and I discussed with AMD the lending/use of NOS components several of us had on hand for use in bringing to market, AMD already had a Carlisle display in 2002...the AMD E body Shaker Hoods were on display as  early as 2004 when I was debuting the 71 Dayclona Superbird, which I promptly purchased 2 Shaker hoods 

Squawk as much as some may over AMD and the minor problems that might be associated with some of their products, it sure beats having nothing, only those that have been in the "hobby" for several decades can appreciate that

mike

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 30, 2016, 08:48:53 AM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 29, 2016, 07:40:48 PM

AMD started in 2001/2002 that's when Greg/Mark H of AMD started contacting individuals that had NOS sheetmetal to use for their reproductions, I bought my bumper from them in late 2004...it was made in Taiwan, in fact I started the build of my Daytona in Nov 2004, after receiving the body in Oct 2004, the car was finished on March 2005 for a MCG photo shoot in April, I had purchased the following from AMD in Nov 2004, the rear bumper, rear valance, dutchman panel, trunk floor, trunk extenstions, rear bumper trunk braces...they didn't have the valance corners available at the time, so I used Charger Specialties corners, of all the AMD pieces that I bought, only the trunk extensions required some rework, everything else was pretty much childs play to fit/install...the rear qtrs were NOS, and before anybody goes extolling the virtues of "factory NOS" sheetmetal, I actually spent more time installing/tweaking them than I have the other 2 Chargers that I later installed AMD full qtrs on 

I am glad you said that about NOS sheetmetal and it is true. I have done crash work since 68 and have seen no end of panel fitting problems over the years. :'(
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser