News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weighing my options...

Started by SmashingPunkFan, July 01, 2016, 10:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

Trying to decide how to approach this problem.

The gas tank filler section of the drivers side quarter has a significant amount of pitting and rust. Is there a patch? Should I use a rust remover then try to fill in the voids?

I bought lower rear quarters,  and don't really wanna purchase a full quarter because of the problem. But if I have no choice, then I shall move forward on it.

Any insight is greatly appreciated :)
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

Cncguy

I'm thinking you should Remove any rust and use lead/tin to fill in pits, and smooth it out.

Troy

I believe I have that section from a cut up car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Cncguy on July 01, 2016, 11:00:08 AM
I'm thinking you should Remove any rust and use lead/tin to fill in pits, and smooth it out.

Okay,  awesome. I'll search YouTube for some instructionals
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2016, 11:06:33 AM

Troy

Are you looking to let go of that part?  If so, how much?
Projects:

Troy

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on July 01, 2016, 11:24:41 AM
Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2016, 11:06:33 AM

Troy

Are you looking to let go of that part?  If so, how much?
It's a big section of the top of the quarter but I could trim it so shipping wouldn't be a nightmare. The bigger problem is digging it out of the garage (from wherever I stuck it so it wouldn't get damaged). I won't be back over there until Sunday at the earliest. I thought I had pictures online but don't see them on my Photobucket account.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

new2muscle

If it was MY car, I would acid clean the pits/rust, clean and flush the area, Tin and Solder the pits (yes, old school), file and prime.

Easier than a patch panel, and MUCH less work to get straight again.

Good luck...

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: new2muscle on July 01, 2016, 04:40:13 PM

If it was MY car, I would acid clean the pits/rust, clean and flush the area, Tin and Solder the pits (yes, old school), file and prime.

Good luck...

I like that idea. I feel fairly confident in patching stuff in, but this has to be straight. What's the process of using led to fill in?
Thanks
Projects:

Cncguy

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on July 01, 2016, 05:58:44 PM
Quote from: new2muscle on July 01, 2016, 04:40:13 PM

Good luck...

I like that idea. I feel fairly confident in patching stuff in, but this has to be straight. What's the process of using led to fill in?
Thanks

I believe you can buy the whole kit with instructional video from eastwood.com

redgum78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzGZZJZSZ9Y

Also google "Peach and Tommasini". A couple of old school panel workers from Australia that made a whole dvd series on lead wiping, english wheel, stretching and shrinking and forming metal. Really good.

redgum78

Quote from: redgum78 on July 01, 2016, 08:35:45 PM

Also google "Peach and Tommasini". A couple of old school panel workers from Australia that made a whole dvd series on lead wiping, english wheel, stretching and shrinking and forming metal. Really good.

From memory you also need to get proper body lead/solder. I think it has less tin content (or maybe the other way around?) which gives a wider heat range where the solder is plastic allowing you to work it. Regular solder has a very narrow plastic range, in other words as you apply heat it goes from solid to fully liquid very fast.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: redgum78 on July 01, 2016, 08:53:00 PM
Quote from: redgum78 on July 01, 2016, 08:35:45 PM

From memory you also need to get proper body lead/solder. I think it has less tin content (or maybe the other way around?) which gives a wider heat range where the solder is plastic allowing you to work it. Regular solder has a very narrow plastic range, in other words as you apply heat it goes from solid to fully liquid very fast.

You all are life savers. I was gearing up ti parch this,  and I'm glad I didn't.
I will definitely go solder/tin fill.
Thank you
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Any thoughts on this? Same perhaps, with solder/tin fill?

The circled area is cancer,  and will be patched for sure.

Thanks for all the help
Projects:

Patronus

Agreed on the idea of leading the pits. If done right you may be able to wipe the lead as it cools with a cloth saving huge on the sanding. You can buy 70/30 lead or lead free even. (So as to not create lead dust when you sand) Either is fine. The Eastwood kit is nice, probably plenty of product for your application. Find something to practice on first maybe... Heat is key, not too much. Don't need to rush.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Cncguy

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on July 03, 2016, 10:22:22 PM
Any thoughts on this? Same perhaps, with solder/tin fill?

The circled area is cancer,  and will be patched for sure.

Thanks for all the help

If that's the quarter/roof seam, yes you will need to lead it.

new2muscle

It takes practice and patience, but with some Utube video instruction and ample amounts of both, you will find that its not all that hard. Learning the right heat to keep the solder plastic is the hard part. Buy some wood paddles (or make your own, not hard), get some good tinning flux and lead solder, and practice away. Use beeswax on the paddles to keep them from sticking. If you dont like the result, warm it up again, wipe it off, and do over.

And whatever you do, wear a mask when working with lead solder. I dont like the lead free stuff, it just isnt the same.

Its an old school skill that everyone can learn. and the repairs are permanent. They wont shrink or chip.

:cheers: :cheers:

SmashingPunkFan

Awesome.

The roof/quarter meeting area x it's completely gone in the circle. And cancerous a little further up. Can I lead fill what's missing?  Or does a small need to be placed,  then lead filled?
Projects:

new2muscle

Lead solder is never a replacement for perforated, cancerous metal. Patch or weld what you need to, then solder up the joint. Looks like that is about a 1/2 inch area that is bad, so just do that part and then fill with solder, then skim with body filler. Getting the quarter panel seam leaded right takes some doing, but its how the factory did it.....for a reason. Good luck..... and remember, don't apply too much heat, which will warp panels. Solder melts at around 180 degrees.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: new2muscle on July 11, 2016, 05:17:11 PM
Lead solder is never a replacement for perforated, cancerous metal. Patch or weld what you need to, then solder up the joint. Looks like that is about a 1/2 inch area that is bad, so just do that part and then fill with solder, then skim with body filler. Getting the quarter panel seam leaded right takes some doing, but its how the factory did it.....for a reason. Good luck..... and remember, don't apply too much heat, which will warp panels. Solder melts at around 180 degrees.

Heres a closeup.  It's worse than the last picture allowed you to see
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Also, I'm extremely hard on myself about the work I do, so if any of the welds I show look like crap, please inform me. I'd rather fix it right than be than be an idiot with a welder lol

I have a problem with a patch I already worked out about a month ago...

It's showing moisture exposure from the inside, and I'm not sure exactly how to fix it.

I used self-etch primer on it inside and out, and it's still coming through.
Projects:

hemi-hampton

Self etching primer always goes on thin like water, I always cover it with a coat of epoxy & 2 coats if it's going to be sitting around a while & don't do what some people do, Some people think OH, Now that I got the bare metal primed with 1 coat of etch or epoxy, I can now let it sit outside in rain & winter for next 10 years. LEON.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 18, 2016, 11:00:36 PM
Self etching primer always goes on thin like water, I always cover it with a coat of epoxy & 2 coats if it's going to be sitting around a while & don't do what some people do, Some people think OH, Now that I got the bare metal primed with 1 coat of etch or epoxy, I can now let it sit outside in rain & winter for next 10 years. LEON.

Ahh, I see.
And what's a good quality, but cheap brand to use? Cause it'll eventually come back off
Projects:

new2muscle

From what I can see, it looks like surface rust staining from where the layers join. I would shoot it from front and behind with some POR15 or something like that, or a good DTM epoxy.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: new2muscle on July 20, 2016, 03:53:32 PM

From what I can see, it looks like surface rust staining from where the layers join. I would shoot it from front and behind with some POR15 or something like that, or a good DTM epoxy.

I removed some of the repair, and I'm going to redo it.  I'll probably use por15 on the inside. It's all coming from behind
Projects:

Dino

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on July 19, 2016, 06:44:55 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 18, 2016, 11:00:36 PM

Ahh, I see.
And what's a good quality, but cheap brand to use? Cause it'll eventually come back off

SPI epoxy. It is cheap, high quality and free shipping. Just make sure to follow the rules to the letter and you'll have great results. Don't even bother with etch primer.

If you want to do it right then you cover all clean and bare metal with epoxy. It is the only primer that is waterproof. Then do your repairs on top of that and always re-epoxy bare metal before going to the next step. You can spot spray it, you don't have to redo entire panels when you sand through to the metal. When you're ready for a high build primer shoot two more coats of epoxy, let it dry for 1-7 days and follow it with a few coats f high build primer. Sand and repat until you're ready for paint, then shoot thinned epoxy as a sealer followed by topcoat. All primer and topcoat let water through like a sponge so having all the metal sealed by epoxy is the way to go.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.