News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where did this bumper come from ? PIC Inside -

Started by cantankerous, April 15, 2006, 06:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cantankerous

I have had my 69 Charger apart for a few years now and just yesterday I
put the front clip back in it. I never paid much attention to the bumper
guards until I had it parked next to another 69 Charger.

Does anyone know what car my bumper guards are supposed to go on?
They were on the car when I bought it so I cleaned them up and put
them back on for now. They fit but, seem to be about 2 inches taller
than all the other ones I have seen.

Any thoughts? They look like giant fish hooks to me...

rollingthunder

my 69 has the same one's on it I think it depends on when it was built or where it was built to which ones it got.
life's to short have a blast before its gone.

toqwik

I believe those are 68 guards, they stuck up higher than the 69....

2fast4u

Are you sure about them being early bumperettes like the '68?   I thought it was the other way around.  the later '69 models got the bigger bumperettes due to the law about cars having bumpers or something like that.

I do know there was a state that wouldn't let dealers sell any 69 Daytonas until they had a bumper on the front of the car....I think it was Maryland.....not sure!   Thats were the story from Jerry Juenemann was that his purple Daytona had to be modified with older corvette ('63-'67) bumpers on the front so the owner of the car could actually drive it!

Picture enclosed!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Sinister68

Well, here's what they look like on a '68...   :icon_smile_big:
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

Mike DC

The '69 Chargers built after January 1st of 1969 got the taller ones, I think.  All the 1968s were the shorter ones.  The reproduction guards are only in the shorter style for both years.

The taller guards aren't what I would call "rare," but the're less common than the shorter ones. 

If you're mounting a wider GL-style pushbar onto that car, the taller guards won't clear the pushbar correctly.  You can swap them for a shorter set, or else just leave them off entirely like the TV mechanics did sometimes.