News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Well it has happened to me

Started by billssuperbird, August 19, 2016, 12:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

The toilet on the second floor broke a hose for six hours water leak in the house flooded on the way down to the garage and got the car  :flame: now to deal with the insurance companies

moparnation74

Sorry to hear that happened.....

Mopar Nut

That sucks, good luck with the insurance companies.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

PettyMower

Friend of mine was on vacation, him and his wife decided to come home a day earlier than planned. Walked into the same thing. The little hose from the wall to the toilet ruptured. Thankfully the flood had not yet spread to the rest of the house.

I'm assuming the 'Bird's windows were down.

Dave Kanofsky

Sorry to hear about that!  Good luck with the clean up and repairs/restorations
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

billssuperbird

kpkube

Quote from: PettyMower on August 19, 2016, 12:38:48 PM
Friend of mine was on vacation, him and his wife decided to come home a day earlier than planned. Walked into the same thing. The little hose from the wall to the toilet ruptured. Thankfully the flood had not yet spread to the rest of the house.

If i'm away for more than a week I turn the water off in the house.

68X426

Bill, so sorry to hear.  Hope it all works out for you.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

dual fours

Quote from: billssuperbird on August 19, 2016, 12:01:45 PM
The toilet on the second floor broke a hose for six hours water leak in the house flooded on the way down to the garage and got the car  :flame: now to deal with the insurance companies
Oh no, I hope your Insurance Co. give you what you need to make things right. What type/design of little hose broke?
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

PettyMower

Quote from: kpkube on August 19, 2016, 04:00:41 PM
Quote from: PettyMower on August 19, 2016, 12:38:48 PM

If i'm away for more than a week I turn the water off in the house.

Yup....same here. We live out in the country, and have a well. So it's a simple flip of a breaker.

billssuperbird

The supply line to the toilet tank plastic screw cap
To the tank broke

Mytur Binsdirti

That sucks. My guess is the blame can be laid on cheap Chinese crap.

will

That sucks! Something similar happened to a relative. I always turn the water off to the house when we go away, because of this. My cousin had a solenoid crack in her dishwasher when they went away during the winter. They cam home to a glacier out of their front door.

ksquared

I heard the same story from a crossing guard at my child's school several years ago, went away for a week and came back to a flooded house, ruined carpets, etc.  It is even worse down in Florida here because as soon as you have water you've got mold following.

Another time I was almost asleep and heard a strange noise, got up and just couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I went in the bathroom, and under the sink in the cabinet the water was shooting out, and in just a few minutes the floor had started to get flooded.  Luckily it didn't even get the carpet wet.

So yes, if we're ever away the little shutoff valves are always shut.  It is especially to do the hot water ones, as it seems 99% chance it is the hot water side.  One other problem is that if you never turn them, in 15 years when something does happen, you'll never be able to get the water quickly shut off, you'll have to go to the main shutoff, if you even know where that is.  And the valve for my house is outside and really needs a special tool to turn.  Also, for the washing machine, people really need the higher quality stainless lines, not the cheap ones that eventually develop a crack/leak in them.

Of course in this situation it sounds like it was just something that happened while somebody was away at work.

One other detail, I'm not sure why the windows were down, as I would think people would be keeping them up to keep out any stray mice or bugs.  

tan top

aww noo sorry to hear this , :icon_smile_blackeye:  , hope you get it sorted soon
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

billssuperbird

When there is no one home the main will be shut off. This won't happen to me again :2thumbs:

Charger_Fan

Damn, sorry to hear this. I hope your 'Bird isn't too badly damaged.

That happened to my boss a few years ago. They had left on a two week vacation around Christmas & the line on an upstairs toilet broke. It ruined 90% of the bottom floor of the house, including the garage ceiling. He lost a ton of valuable items & heirlooms.
Nowdays, he shuts off the water main, plus the breaker box & the gas!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

odcics2

It'll be interesting to see how the insurance company values the car damage. 
I'd assume a real Bird has one value and a cloned car another.
But, if the damage would be seats and carpet, for example, that should be the same for either,
since those parts aren't unique to a real Bird.

In any event, Good Luck.  Don't let them screw you... 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

billssuperbird

So far to looks like just D/P side boor panels and carpet will need replaced. The car cover is not covered. How do you wash them

kpkube

Have several of these placed under toilets, sinks, dishwasher, behind the refridgerator.

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: billssuperbird on August 22, 2016, 05:15:10 AM
So far to looks like just D/P side boor panels and carpet will need replaced. The car cover is not covered. How do you wash them
I take mine to the local laundromat they have commercial heavy duty washers and dryers there that can handle a big load like the car cover. Sorry to hear about the leak

68X426

Quote from: billssuperbird on August 22, 2016, 05:15:10 AM
How do you wash them

Be sure to use Dreft, or Dreft for Babies.  It's the gentlest laundry cleaner, and rinses clean. 

You don't want to use an everyday detergent, and have any residue left in the material.  It can then damage your paint by "leaking" from the cover to the paint.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

dual fours

Quote from: billssuperbird on August 20, 2016, 07:32:06 AM
To the tank broke
My guess is the seam around the radius of the lower end of the plastic ballcock nut split.
Everybody keep this in mind, if you leave your house for an extended period of time (your Insurance Co. sets this period) and a pipe breaks, your Insurance could be Voided. This depends on your Insurance Co. policy's fine print calling it an 'Unoccupied dwelling.'
On the grounds that if someone had been checking in or living there, there would be less damage.

I've used 'Flood Stop' piped in to the main line and wired the house up. But better yet like others mentioned "Close the main when out of the house overnight."     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRQdFjQqrU
                    http://reliancedetection.com/products/selection-guide/
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

marshallfry01

Shit. Same damn thing happened to me today. Half of my house is soaked.  :brickwall:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

billssuperbird

70 RR 4speed bench seat black need new carpet and D/P boor panels anyone have any new stuff they my wanna get rid of. Let me know thanks  :buff:

moparnation74

Quote from: billssuperbird on August 23, 2016, 08:41:48 AM
70 RR 4speed bench seat black need new carpet and D/P boor panels anyone have any new stuff they my wanna get rid of. Let me know thanks  :buff:
Are those the only things you need? 

billssuperbird

charge69

Really sorry to hear this !  Hope the insurance co. treats you right!  My home is a 1-story abode and this would be very unlikely to happen here as far as my Charger is concerned.  However, a flooded home with everything ruined while I am away is a possibility that scares the He##  out of me!

Again, really sorry this happened to you and let's hope the insurance company does the right thing!

A12 Superbee

If you are building a house, best thing to ensure you have is a drain in the floor that leads off the toilet, i.e. the laundry or bathroom. That way, it can flood all it wants, it's all just going down the drain and into the stormwater.

Makes life easier if you have a laundry spill or overflow in the tub or you have a door there that leads outside and people drag mud into the house. Just throw a bucket of water at it and down the drain it goes.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

LaOtto70Charger

I would add make sure the floor drain also has a one way valve.  Stormwater backing up the floor drain is not fun either.  :flame: 

Charger_Fan

Quote from: dual fours on August 23, 2016, 12:14:05 AM
Quote from: billssuperbird on August 20, 2016, 07:32:06 AM
To the tank broke
My guess is the seam around the radius of the lower end of the plastic ballcock nut split.
Everybody keep this in mind, if you leave your house for an extended period of time (your Insurance Co. sets this period) and a pipe breaks, your Insurance could be Voided. This depends on your Insurance Co. policy's fine print calling it an 'Unoccupied dwelling.'
On the grounds that if someone had been checking in or living there, there would be less damage.

I've used 'Flood Stop' piped in to the main line and wired the house up. But better yet like others mentioned "Close the main when out of the house overnight."     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRQdFjQqrU
                    http://reliancedetection.com/products/selection-guide/
Okay, you guys are getting me a little worried. I think I'd better be proactive & replace those items on both toilets in my house soon! The house is currently 17 years old & both bathrooms are upstairs.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

billssuperbird

Change the hose and the shut off valve I did on all 3 of my bathrooms. And make sure you can get to the main shutoff valve fast and easy.and the hole  Family knows how to do it  :2thumbs: oh yeah and don't over tighten the plastic screw cap  To the tank and only tighten it by hand.

billssuperbird

It looks like Haggerty it's going to take care of me. Is there any discount code out there so I can get new interior