News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Squealing ... Caused by flex fan?

Started by haueter66, April 18, 2006, 02:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haueter66

At about 55mph or so I get a constant squeal.  Sounds like a squealing belt.  All the belts are adjusted properly.  Somone told me it could be cause by my flex fan (Summit Racing brand).  Does this sound right?  His theory was that it is not flexing enough and is causing too much drag thus making the belt squeal.  Any thoughts?

NHCharger

Do you have a clutch fan set up? If it's not working it can cause the belts to squeal. Happened with my 383.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RD

do you have any oil or power steering leaking onto your belts?  is your alternator or power steering brackets tightened appropriately?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

deputycrawford

I think everybody's missing the point on this one. GET RID OF THAT FLEX FAN. Flex fans do not ease the acceleration and deceleration of the water pump bearing. You WILL, and I mean WILL, either blow the bearing, seal, or like I did, break the entire nose off the water pump. I did mine at 65 MPH. Hurt my stock radiator enough to need it re-cored. The least horsepower robbing fan system is the stock style clutch fan. I even picked up a new one at my local auto parts store. Find your original fan and put a new clutch on it.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

haueter66

ok.  I guess I will give that a shot!

deputycrawford

I hope I don't sound harsh. It's just that I spent some where in the $450 range to rplace everything, fluids, belts etc. I don't want anyone else learning the hard way like I always manage to.... :icon_smile_angry:
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

haueter66

not too harsh at all.  I appreciate the imput!