News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

JEGS reman'd 750 or the 600 CFM for my 383 motor - Opinions needed!!

Started by Mfr426, April 18, 2006, 02:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey folks, looks like I can get the a reman'd Edelbrock carb for my car for about $200 from Jegs. Here's the link to the carbs offered:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=12667&parentCategoryId=10271&langId=-1

Looks like I have two options. I run a stock choke non-electric. I have two options of either a 600 or a 750. My motor is a slightly worked 71 block (was a 2V motor initially), I have the MP RR cam, windage tray, HP manifolds and a 3.23 SG rear. I want the car to be very streetable. I like to cruise but also like to do burnouts (sorry folks but I still like smokies) so I need to have some torque.

I don't know whether the 750 would be too much carb for my setup or not? I'm pretty sure most BB's came with the 600 anyway but they are both the same price so I am not sure what I should do?  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RD

your 2V was a 500cfm, a 600cfm would work fine.  a 750cfm would be needed if you plan on doing runs in the higher rpms which will require the extra fuel flow.  but if you do not, then go with a 600cfm.  I have one on my 400ci with a 284/484 cam, 3.21SG 9 1/4 rear end, headers, and a stock converter.  It idles real lopey, but will idle at 700-800 rpm at a stop light in "D" with no problems.  Has great throttle response and pushes my Ramcharger (4500lbs) to a 10.22 1/8th mile (that was with 2.76 8 1/4 rearend).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dodge freak

I think a vacuum secondary 750 would be fine. Heck I run a 750 holley D.P. on my 318. I do have 3.91 gears and a set of extra low gears for the trans. With vacuum carbs it only runs on the primary's until the engine needs the each cfm. 750 would be fine, so would a 600 but the 750 would give you room to grow if you get more gearing and cam.

Mfr426

Thanks guys. It sounds like either carb would do the trick. I think I'm leaning towards the 600 for this motor. I have a 440 that I want to trick out in a few years and I think I'll do "a" 750 at that point.

Hey RD, I think that is the same RR cam that I have in my car?

Great responses!

Mike

deputycrawford

I used the Edelbrock 750 electric chock on my 383. It was originally a 2 barrel engine. It only had headers and a stock 4 barrel intake. I had great throttle response and part throttle driveability was fine. My wife took it to work several times with no special starting or driving instructions. Burnies were nothing and it pulled all the way to 5500 Rpm's.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Mfr426

Thanks Deputy, something is diffinitely a miss with my carb then.

A phone call to Jegs should resolve that.

Mike