News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 Magnum?

Started by XXSpiralXX, April 19, 2006, 04:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XXSpiralXX

Im picking up a 340 from a friend of mine who's had it sitting around. I was thinking about putting late model Magnum heads on it and using the efi from the same truck (its a 2002 van). What would I need to do to get those heads to fit on the LA block? And also, would the distributor from the magnum fit the LA ? Would I need a special cam?

Plumcrazy

The Magnum heads oil through the pushrods.  MP sells a kit with the parts you need to do this.

As far as I know the Magnum dist fits the block.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Rocky

You will run into a little snag with the stock EFI setup.  The new magnum blocks have a pad on the rear of the block for the crank position sensor that the older LA style blocks don't.  I'm sure there is a way to get around that little problem, just giving you a heads up.  One of the Mopar mags (can't remember which one at the moment) just started a series on low buck EFI swaps for the small blocks, so you might want to be on the lookout for that too.

Rolling_Thunder

Things you would need for the swap to a Magnum:

Magnum Heads (duh)
Magnum rocker arms (duh)
Magnum Pushrods (need to be hollow for oil)
Magnum Roller Lifters (can be reused from donor engine)
Magnum head bolts (different legnth than LA ones)
Magnum Valve Covers (10 bolts instead of 5)
Magnum Intake Manifold (verticle bolts)

Camshaft wise you can go with any LA Hydraulic Roller cam = but if you plan on using the EFI - consult someone - the cam will need to be within certain specs as to work with the ECU -----

The Crank position sensor can be installed on an old block with a little work.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 19, 2006, 11:35:45 PM
Things you would need for the swap to a Magnum:

Magnum Heads (duh)
Magnum rocker arms (duh)
Magnum Pushrods (need to be hollow for oil)
Magnum Roller Lifters (can be reused from donor engine)
Magnum head bolts (different legnth than LA ones)
Magnum Valve Covers (10 bolts instead of 5)
Magnum Intake Manifold (verticle bolts)

Camshaft wise you can go with any LA Hydraulic Roller cam (get just a stick ground (reuse lifters from donor engine to save money) and say its for a 1988-1992 318...    it will save you money) = but if you plan on using the EFI - consult someone - the cam will need to be within certain specs as to work with the ECU -----

The Crank position sensor can be installed on an old block with a little work.

XXSpiralXX

I guess I can't reuse the pushrods from the magnum motor? Whats that about the lifters? Use ones from an 88 - 92 LA motor? I didnt know they were roller.....   As far as the computer goes I was thinking a chip change would be in order right? The car is lighter and hopefully ill be able to make it a stick when I swap everything over. The Van is an automatic. Does that warrant a chip/computer change?

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: XXSpiralXX on April 20, 2006, 03:27:54 PM
  I guess I can't reuse the pushrods from the magnum motor? Whats that about the lifters? Use ones from an 88 - 92 LA motor? I didnt know they were roller.....   As far as the computer goes I was thinking a chip change would be in order right? The car is lighter and hopefully ill be able to make it a stick when I swap everything over. The Van is an automatic. Does that warrant a chip/computer change?

Sorry - forgot you have a donor motor in mind....      you can use the pushrods, head bolts, roller lifters and heads from the donor engine....     

The Camshaft is a work of art...    go anywhere and find a "Magnum" cam for like $400....        sinse you can use the roller lifters from the donor engine Go somewhere and say you need a Hydraulic Roller cam ground for a 1988-1992 318 - and give them the specs you want....       it will be ALOT cheaper and it will work. The only difference between the Magnum camshaft and the LA cam is the eccentric for a mechanical fuel pump....      and the price...     Magnum cams seems to be ALOT more expensive....       So...   you can get the R/T cam ground on a regular old LA hydraulic Roller shaft (1988-1992 318's were hydraulic rollers as well which is why you can say it is for the 1988-1992 318 )    I called up a cam grinder and asked what a Magnum hydraulic roller cam would cost....    they said about $280 for the stick...       called back again and said I wanted an LA hydraulic Roller with the same specs they said $80 for just the stick ---   

In short - by saying it is for a 1988-1992 318 when they ask you - you will save money and it will still work. but be sure to remind them it is a hydraulic roller.

XXSpiralXX

Oh wow. Ok I didnt think it would be that much of a difference, or any difference at all actually. and this setup willl work with the 340 block and the stock magnum heads? Or should I get the mopar performance heads instead?
   The way Im looking at the car I want to shoot for around 350 horse maybe a little less and with a 4 speed and a posi. Should make a nice cruiser and im hoping the EFI will help with gas mileage. The throttle response of a good efi would be a nice thing too. I figure if I use the stock setup out of the donor truck I can use the factory and aftermarket hopups for it too, like injectors, chips, and other efi upgrades that I dont know about (ive never had an efi car that i wanted to hop up )

Rolling_Thunder

Yes - this will all work with the 340 block - as the only difference is the larger bore...  which would be no big deal....