News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FI Tech Cold weather test

Started by flyinlow, December 15, 2016, 06:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I put FI Tech injection on last spring. It was 4* in Ohio last night . So the little devil popped up on my shoulder and said " come on, park it outside over night and see if it will start."  So I did........ It started.  I primed the system twice by turning the ignition on for a few seconds, off and back on, it cranked for about 3 seconds, fired briefly and died. Started again with a little throttle this time . After a few seconds it ran on its own.  After it warmed up I took it for a short drive and it seamed to run fine. I would like to find a way to shoot more fuel on  cold start cranking. There is an adjustment, but it appears maxed out already.

The car lives in a heated garage and this is not something would make a habbit out of , but its good to know it will start when cold. The Quick fuel carb would have started too, but would have been a much bigger ritual.

garner7555

Good to know!  :yesnod:     :2thumbs:     I can't wait to get my car back together to test out my FiTech with aluminum heads...
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

igozumn

I had to leave mine outside last weekend for a night.  Was 26* in the morning, the coldest since putting the FiTech on.  Turned the key, let it prime, and cranked it.  Took about a half second longer before it fired, but it did fire.  Very pleased. 

For adjustments, if I recall, you need to go in and adjust the 65* crank fuel and 65* after start fuel????   Have to double check that.  There is 2 or 3 settings by temp for both crank and after start. 

Now, rowing that 4-speed stick was mighty difficult at that temp and the brake booster was sloooooow and delaaaaaaayed before the engine compartment got warmed up.  The nice thing about driving it at that temp, is the N-50 Indy Profile Mickey Thompsons were hard as a rock and I could break them loose at 30 mph just by laying into it in 2nd gear. 
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

Midnight_Rider

Thanks for posting that up. Helps those of us considering TBI to know how it behaves in various conditions.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: flyinlow on December 15, 2016, 06:57:51 PM
I primed the system twice by turning the ignition on for a few seconds, off and back on, it cranked for about 3 seconds, fired briefly and died. Started again with a little throttle this time . After a few seconds it ran on its own. 

You do know that you can program the cold start prime with the hand-held controller? Longer prime time means shorter cranking time and less tendency to die after startup.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 16, 2016, 07:01:12 PM
Quote from: flyinlow on December 15, 2016, 06:57:51 PM
You do know that you can program the cold start prime with the hand-held controller? Longer prime time means shorter cranking time and less tendency to die after startup.

Yes I bumped it up to to max 20*F  cranking a couple months ago. I rechecked the setting was back to zero. I reset it to max. 98 .

John_Kunkel

Hmmm. On the controller's "prime adjustment menu" I increased items #1 and #2....on item one I set the number at #199 and for setting number two, I set it at #10. Their tech department kept over-emphasizing the importance to 'save' your new settings by pressing the joystick in. There is also a 'save' button that you can touch on the screen, as well.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68CoronetRT

I noticed one annoying feature on the adjustment screens. When you make a SINGLE adjustment you have to click "Send to ECU" every single time you make an adjustment. If you try to adjust and scroll down to the next one and adjust and at the end of the menu hit "Send to ECU" only that last adjustment will save. Very annoying if you dont remember.