News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hail dents...

Started by Bandit72, April 20, 2006, 09:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

is there really any way to get these out ??? my car was caught in a really bad hail storm last weekend and at first i didn't think it hurt too much...but i waxed it today and wow you can really tell that it got the sh*t beat out of it...someone told me to wait till it's about 100 degrees outside and go start putting ice on the dents and some of them will pop back...is this true?

thanks

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

miamivice

you know, i have never heard about this till the other day when i was reading another car forum i vist, and now im hearing about it from several people, weird.  anyways, from what i understand you can get some DRY ICE, which supposedly helps get rid of the dents.   post up if you have any luck with it.   check out the thread i was reading:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/body-interior/358428-anybody-use-dry-ice.html?highlight=dry+ice

dodge freak

Only thing I knows what works is a torch and a flat hammer, but good by paint job. Maybe that ice cube trick works on these super thin japan  cars, but not on the old mopars. You could try it. If it does work lets us know, but I would be surprise.

flashley18

I left my car at the airport last year in Florida and when I got back they had had a bad storm with hail.  I had about 200 dents in just the hood so you can imagine what the car looked like.  It was a golf ball on wheels.  My insurance company talked me into "paintless dent repair".  They said if I did not like the results they would use a standard body shop.  The guy had my car 3 days and got every dent out.  It was perfect.  Best part no need for repaining any of the areas, no bondo etc.

It was also about 1/3 the cost of the body shop.

mikepmcs

same thing happened to my moms new car a few years back, they took it to a guy in Herndon, Va and he did the paintless dent removal and I could not find one ding(and i'm a freak about that).  check out the paintless dent removal deal.  do some research and find the best body shop around, they will have the experience.
good luck.
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bill440rt

Do not waste your time with dry ice, torches, etc.

Go straight to your nearest paintless dent removal facility. If you don't have one, most bodyshops work with them and will have contacts. I would remove any trim that would ease the repair (interior door panels, trim panels, etc. With all the access holes in these cars, the repair tech should have no problems accessing the backside of a panel. Newer cars are tougher because there sometimes isn't as much room as an older car.
They tech will probably have trouble if there any dents along body lines, sharp creases, etc because the metal is stronger in that area. You'll just need to talk to the tech about the repair.
I've personally had it done on my truck several times, the dent is undetectable. The tech was unable to remove one small dent on the lower cab corner, because the metal was too strong in that area to remove the dent (sharp corner).
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MOPARHOUND!

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

dodge freak

Learn something new everyday they claim, I have not heared about dent removal but sounds like it must work pretty good. Might try it on my car too. Thanks guys

Blakcharger440

Paintless dent removeable works great on newer cars that have had no previous
bodywork underneath the paint.

69bananabeast

thats pretty interesting never heard of the paintless dent removal before. One of my AutoBody teachers (owned shop for 40 years) told me if anything had more than 80 dents should be replaced , but this paintless dent removal sounds good 'll have to look into it
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Doc74

The paintless dent removal system works very well as long as it's accessible. I did a few this way and it does work nicely on untouched cars.
But there's something else, something much much easier which doesn't even require removing any inside trim. A glue gun !

The one I use is sorta like this, only better... http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/pops-a-dent.html?gid=
You use the gun to heat the glue sticks and apply a drop on a little pawn, well it looks like one. Stick that right on the small dent, it'll be glued firmly to a degreased surface within seconds.
The tool I have is a vertical bar with two big rubber feet to put on the panel, big enough not to distort the panel and create new dents.
In the middle is a long bolt which hooks onto the pawn, then all you have to do is turn the bolt tight or use the optional 'squeezer' . Either the pawn will snap off once the maximum travel of the dent has been reached or you can just twist it off and peel off the now cold glue.
The trick is to pull the dent further out than you should so there's a tiny bulge.The kit includes nylon pointed sticks you can put on the bulge and with a small hammer gently tap on thus making it flat.
A little ultra fine grit blocking and polishing and it's all gone.

One note: be very very careful with the hot glue, it does take your skin off before you realize you've been burned, first hand experience here.

MOPARHOUND!

I've never tried body work, but would be willing to give it a whirl.

Doc, would that work on this, @#$#@% shopping cart:
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Doc74

Hound the ones very near to the edges may budge but I seriously doubt you'll get them clean out, the few ones who didn't hit the edge can very likely be removed that way but....the paint is chipped and if it needs to be redone then you don't have to use the glue gun which is meant primarily to not hurt the paintjob altough the other great advantage is that the inside remains untouched so no missing cavity wax.
For that I would first see if I could reach it from the inside and if not use a sliding hammer, not drill a hole in the dent, that's too old school, the new ones weld their tips to the dent and you can pull it out real easy and just twist it off and continue. The thing is, the protective wax on the inside will get burned so you need to touch it up afterwards to keep it protected.Very important.
You can't do much wrong with the glue gun, either it'll get better or stay the same but I wouldn't go out to buy one if you don't plan on using it later, a good bodyshop has that fixed in no time.

daytonalo

WHY NOT ATTACH 14 BOTTLE ROCKETS TO INSIDE AND WATCH THE SHOW BEGIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1