News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Putting Tranny Fluid in with oil to loosen a stuck lifter

Started by DodgeChargerNeeded, April 21, 2006, 11:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DodgeChargerNeeded

I have a small lifter tick once in a while on my 318 and a guy told me to put a quart of tranny fluid in with the oil to loosen it up. Has anyone tried this and if so does it work. Let me know.
Jeff

Ghoste

I don't know if it works or not but I do have to say that after 25 years of playing  with cars, I ain't ever heard of that one.
Doesn't mean it can't work, just...

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

tecmopar

We've done this a few times BUT we use Marvel Mystery oil, about a 1/2 a quart and most times it works, good luck.

John_Kunkel

While ATF is reputed to work, I prefer a product dedicated to the job; Rislone X has worked for me in the past.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69chargeryeehaa

it works great, unlike the products specifically made for the job, they are thinners, that basically just try to wash away the oil deposits in the engine, and you cannot load the engine with those products (the ones that actually work), basically you put it in the oil 10 mins of idle and then change the oil.  tranny fluid on the other hand contains a huge ammount of detergents, and it is designed to withstand extreeme temps and pressures, so it is more suited, think about the abuse trans oil goes thru, and the extreems it must deal with and it's life span, basically lasts longer because it does'nt get exposed to combustion, it's common for motor oil to be used in manual trannies as well.  you could put 1/2 a liter in your oil and drive the car really easy and see if it goes away, about 20 mi and it should be gone, if not get more aggressive, and put a whold bottle in and DON'T drive the car, just idle it slightly revving the motor without loading (driving) the car, then change the oil.  while it does'nt work miricles, and repair obvious mech damage, it does work fantastic for freeing sticky lifters that are caused by oil sludge build up.  get ready for lots of nice thick sludge to come out of your motor if it's the first time your doing this, i do it about once a year, it really cleans things out.   ;D :o