News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POR 15 rust sealer

Started by bull, April 22, 2006, 03:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I heard you cannot effectively paint over POR 15. Is that true?

Silver R/T

Not true, just scotch brite it real good, epoxy seal and you can paint over it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

JimShine

Here is another option.

Drop Top

If you don't use the tye coat. Your going to have to use a bit more then a scotch brite pad. POR is very hard use at least 180 wet or 100 dry. Get the gloss compleatly off to a uniform dull look before spraying over it with your filler primer. Do the same if your going to use filler putty instead.

bill440rt

POR-15 now makes a Self Etching Primer that's designed to go directly over CURED POR-15 WITHOUT sanding! They state there's no adhesion problems.
I'm doing the underside of my car this way. It's already been coated with black POR-15.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

doctorpimp

Quote from: Drop Top on April 23, 2006, 11:37:58 AM
If you don't use the tye coat. Your going to have to use a bit more then a scotch brite pad. POR is very hard use at least 180 wet or 100 dry. Get the gloss compleatly off to a uniform dull look before spraying over it with your filler primer. Do the same if your going to use filler putty instead.
Drop Top,
Have you used the POR 15 primers?  Do they work as claimed?
I am going to use POR 15 and their primers, I just want to see who's been there and done that.
:icon_smile_cool:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Drop Top

Sorry I have never used POR-15 primers. The POR-15 is a very good product. I don't use it very often. But when I have It has done everything it says it will do. I usually us i in places that you can't get to. A Speed/Custom shop here in town sells POR products and keeps it on the shelf and I've had a chance to have a close look at most of their products. Alot of the products that POR sells can be bought buy other companys for much less. However I haven't even looked into their primers ( i have my way of doing things & if it works don't fix it). But I do like the idea of their new primer that is designed to go over cured POR-15. I may have to try that some time in the future. I could have used that product a few years ago.

doctorpimp

Thanks Drop Top :icon_smile_cool:
I'll send in a report after I'm done.
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216