News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket sway bar?

Started by rikubot, February 27, 2017, 10:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hi guys,
I've got a sway bar that is pretty bent up from a bad date with a curb. It's currently still bolted on with the energy suspension greasable bushing kit, but I can tell that is pretty well bent up and doesn't look at all symmetric. What have you guys done for sway bars? I'd like to spend less than $250 of possible...
Thanks
Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

Kern Dog

You might call a spring shop. They might be able to the the bend out of your sway bar.

rikubot

I thought about that or a body shop, but this thing is twisted up pretty good. The curb caught it right in the passenger side k-frame mount. I'll call around and see if anyone in town can look at it. Local shops are a little shady from my experience...
'69 Charger, 440/727

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

rikubot

Those both look pretty nice. I also noticed a Summit brand sway bar that looked decent. They all have pretty good reviews. Any personal experience?
'69 Charger, 440/727

JR

I'm using Helwig bars front and rear. They work great, no complaints whatsoever.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

cdr

PST in the front,Hotchkis rear
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

rikubot

Thank you all for your input. If you feel moved to post pics, I'd love to see them. I need new end links as well so if the bar I go with doesn't come with them, I think Energy sells them for $20 ish
'69 Charger, 440/727

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

rikubot

CD-R, what brand is that? Looks great. Do you also have the k-frame skid plate kit?
'69 Charger, 440/727

cdr

Quote from: rikubot on February 28, 2017, 11:13:40 PM
CD-R, what brand is that? Looks great. Do you also have the k-frame skid plate kit?

PST in the front,Hotchkis rear, made my own skid plate, that oil pan in the picture I will be removing & going with a 402 pan.

rikubot

Yeah that pan looks like it hangs pretty damn low!
'69 Charger, 440/727

Rubberduck

I have Addco sway bars on my Charger front and rear. No problems.
ยด68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

rikubot

I'm leaning toward Addco. It comes with all the hardware and it's got the finish I like. I'm not crazy about the grey hammer peened finish of the other ones.

Also I'm assuming (I know, stupid mistake lol) that these will all fit into the brackets I have already installed by energy suspension?
'69 Charger, 440/727

Dino

I like my front Addco bar, never installed the rear bar.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ryan.C

Quote from: Dino on March 01, 2017, 10:33:40 AM

It sux. I wish I had gone a different route with the rear bar. Cheap mounting hardware is my biggest complaint.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Dino

Quote from: Ryan.C on March 01, 2017, 10:45:16 AM
Quote from: Dino on March 01, 2017, 10:33:40 AM

It sux. I wish I had gone a different route with the rear bar. Cheap mounting hardware is my biggest complaint.

I haven't found a need yet to actually run a rear bar.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rikubot

I've noticed that most of the brackets that come with these sway bars don't look like they have the zercs for a grease gun. How do you lube them? How important IS it to lube them?
'69 Charger, 440/727

Ryan.C

Quote from: rikubot on March 01, 2017, 05:42:46 PM
I've noticed that most of the brackets that come with these sway bars don't look like they have the zercs for a grease gun. How do you lube them? How important IS it to lube them?

I recommend you lubricate all rubber on metal contact points to avoid squeaks in your suspension. It is really annoying when they do squeak. At the dealer we used a sticky axle grease lube for our problem cars.  :Twocents:

rikubot

Much appreciated. Would a lithium or dry lube work as well?
'69 Charger, 440/727

Ryan.C

Quote from: rikubot on March 01, 2017, 07:15:08 PM
Much appreciated. Would a lithium or dry lube work as well?

A graphite type lubricant would work, how long and how well I cannot say for certain. I do not think lithium is thick enough it has been my experience that lithium is temporary, and usually requires re-application in a short amount of time.

rikubot

That makes sense. Thanks for the input and beautiful car man!
'69 Charger, 440/727

Ryan.C

Quote from: rikubot on March 01, 2017, 09:25:00 PM
That makes sense. Thanks for the input and beautiful car man!

Thanks  :2thumbs: