News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric Blue Metallic Q-1

Started by Magnumcharger, April 23, 2006, 06:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumcharger

I'm restoring a 1968 Charger R/T that came originally in Q-1, which as it turns out, is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than B5 blue, which replaced it mid-year.
According to a recent Mopar magazine profiling a 1968 GTX, this paint code was only on cars produced up to November of 1967, which makes it an early 1968 model year avaliability only.
In this article, it mentions that this particular GTX was repainted in Base coat-clear coat.
I'm wondering if anybody has a suitable paint code for Q-1 in BC/CC paint?
Thanks.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

John G

Hey Magnum, I just wanted to let you know that my charger was made in May of 68, with the QQ1 paint. Not sure about what that article said about it changing in mid year.

John G

69charger2002

looks like his was built april 23rd 1968, unless i'm reading the tag wrong
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Brock Samson

that '68 R/T looks like fresh paint and the wheels dont match,.. so im not getting it,.. your gonna repaint it?..

Mopar440+6

As far as I know, QQ-1 was not replaced by B-5 until 69. There is no real paint code for BC/CC since the factory paint was only single stage. There are technically three different codes for QQ-1 there is a Dupont code, PPG code, which I have been told is no longer produced and there is the PPG "offset" code. The offset code is the newest, closest match to QQ-1. If you can find a GOOD paint/body shop they should be able to help you out. If you aren't a stickler for having the paint dead nuts accurate you could most lilkely just use the PPG offset paint and most people probably wouldn't know. Also the Dodge name for QQ-1 is Bright Blue Metallic; Plymouth name is Electric Blue Metallic...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Magnumcharger

Well, I guess I've got some explaining to do here! ::)

The Charger in the picture isn't mine...it's a sampling of QQ-1 for the masses. My car currently is bare metal, courtesy of a dip tank!

I realize that the original paint WASN'T basecoat/clearcoat. But due to fading issues, I don't really want to go with "old technology" this time around.

I know there's new mixing codes for a lot of the "old" high-impact colors, which is why I'm asking if anybody knows of the code for QQ-1?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TheGhost

My old Dart was QQ1.  It's a pretty damn good looking color.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Recharger

The original PPG code of the QQ1 paint you're looking for is 13354.  I went through this same thing a few months ago when I was repainting my engine bay.  Here's another thread with some info on this topic.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,5227.0.html

I eventually ended up using the substitute 'offset' color listed in the PPG system, code# 15793.  If I recall, they said the offset color is a bit lighter than original QQ1.  I'm not overly concerned with 100% originality, so I decided it was close enough for my purposes.  For now.   Here's a pic of what it looks like, fyi...

Cudafish

QQ-1 is a beautiful color. Without using the same exact formula that Chrysler Corp used it would only be close. I like the Bright Blue Metallic that is in the background of the Chicago emblem. Here is a couple of pictures of Dick Landy's Super Stock Dart which has the original QQ-1 Blue paint on it. I believe the Bright Blue Metallic on Dodge was a production color and on the Barracuda it was offered to customers that special ordered a car as a color choice.