News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally fired the new mill

Started by c00nhunterjoe, April 26, 2017, 09:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Still a ways to go before the 1st trip. Lots of major changes since i scattered the 383 last spring. But, i finally got to hear the new package run. Not quite a conventional build. Most will call me insane, but its a street car. Fired up and idled on the 2nd try, timing was retarded on the 1st crank.

Basic specs are 12.5:1 440, indy heads, .750 solid roller.
https://youtu.be/M3xVewitJNY

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

rollo1504

Awesome!!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Your speedo shows 20 MPH  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

rollo1504

Definitely to say "BEASTMODE ON"

Laowho

Had to look at your dog videos. We're gettin another--my step-mom's 70lb baby pit bull. (Suffers from separation anxiety, is on Prozac, and afraid of her own shadow.)

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: rollo1504 on April 27, 2017, 06:39:55 AM
Awesome!!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Your speedo shows 20 MPH  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Still have more wiring to do. Lol. Nothing in the actual car is wired yet.

rollo1504

C00nHunter....

Can you please provide more details of your new setup as I am highly interested in learning/knowing new things... as far way down the road for sure I also want to rebuild my 400 BB

For that it would be really nice to know more things if possible, like torque/hp (flywheel or on the rear) what parts did you reuse and which parts did you buy new and a list of those parts....

That would be for me a very good starting point....

Or you PM me please....

Cheers

Roland

firefighter3931

Nice....sounds healthy !  :2thumbs:

What's the duration on that cam ? LSA ? Installed centerline ?

Are those heads MW port ? Looks like you welded up that TM7....I'm guessing to make it a MW port to match the heads ?

Nice thing with roller cams is no break-in required  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 27, 2017, 09:17:12 AM

Are those heads MW port ? Looks like you welded up that TM7....I'm guessing to make it a MW port to match the heads ?

Ron

I will post the cam card and details when i get home tonight. She's stout and will be hard on the valvetrain, thus the jesels and spray bars.

Yup, old 440-1 max wedge port and a custom tm7. Lol. I figure im leaving 30 horses on the table running it but the indy 2d ported is not in the budget this season.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: rollo1504 on April 27, 2017, 07:21:58 AM
C00nHunter....

Can you please provide more details of your new setup as I am highly interested in learning/knowing new things... as far way down the road for sure I also want to rebuild my 400 BB

For that it would be really nice to know more things if possible, like torque/hp (flywheel or on the rear) what parts did you reuse and which parts did you buy new and a list of those parts....

Or you PM me please....

Cheers

Roland
Its FAR from the norm but i will provide details and part numbers. I have a basic list at home with most of what you want. I didnt dyno it, the track later this summer will give the hp and tq numbers. I wouldnt reccomend this engine for 98% of the people on this site. It wont run good with a stock converter and 3.23s, it wont get any kind of fuel economy, and you wont be cruising in overdrive at 1500rpm in it. But it will run like a scalded dog and after i do suspension work, i hope to drag the bumper.

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

68CoronetRT

Random Question.

What carb/plate thingy that your using for your throttle cable is that? And what length is the throttle cable?

c00nhunterjoe

Ron- i never made it to the garage tonight for the cam card, but its an old cam, i want to say 750 lift, 325 advertised, 280 at half. 700lb open pressure. I will get the paperwork saturday morning when i start work on it again for everything.

68coronet- ive had that throttle bracket for years. I really dont remember the brand. I think its a cvr? But everyone and their brother makes one in the 30-50 dollar range. I will have to measure the cable but im pretty sure its stock length.

firefighter3931

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 27, 2017, 10:50:50 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 27, 2017, 09:17:12 AM

Ron

I will post the cam card and details when i get home tonight. She's stout and will be hard on the valvetrain, thus the jesels and spray bars.

Yup, old 440-1 max wedge port and a custom tm7. Lol. I figure im leaving 30 horses on the table running it but the indy 2d ported is not in the budget this season.

Yep, the welded up TM7 is going to cost a lot of HP ! If you're looking for a descent low rise single plane....try and find an MP 337 (pn: P4876337) and enjoy. That is what I'm running on the 572 and it clears the stock hood. It made a few HP/TQ less than a 440-2 but still well over 700HP and some have made over 800HP with this intake unported. It's not a true MW sized intake but close enough to get the job done. Easy enough to port match if that's really a concern.  ;)

That is a lot of cam for  street 440 but it sounds relatively mellow...I guess the high static compression is taming it down @ idle. I'd imagine it's going to want a pretty high shift point with that much duration....perfect for a stick car with deep gears !  :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

Sorry for the delay, finally got back on the car today. Got the timing set and the rest of the wiring done and buttoned up.  Cam is an old crane super stock grind. 106 lsa set on a 106 lca for now.  Ive got 88s in the car now but will be swapping for some 56s soon. (29.5 tire) the 4 speed is out for now. A stick setup to live behind this mill was not in the budget so i put a respectable 727 together for the time being. The timing was waaaayyyy off in the 1st video.  It ended up at 18/34 to start. We shall see how it likes it and adjust from there. Im running c12 at the moment but with my ivc at 88°, im on the ragged edge of being able to nurse pump gas through it. Once the bugs are worked out i will experiment with 93 octane. Slight chance for a test drive next saturday. Only a few things left to do before it hits the ground.

Video after timing is set today and carb baseline tuning done.
https://youtu.be/p6kcOMgYxzY

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: rollo1504 on April 27, 2017, 07:21:58 AM
C00nHunter....

Or you PM me please....

Cheers

Roland

My block is actually kind of  nostalgic. Its an old ramchargers block. But any 440 will do. The block is filled, its stock stroke. I have an aftermarket 8 bolt crank in it, stock length rods, its 60 over with custom venolia pistons. Choose your pistons to suit your build, i dont reccomend mine for a daily street car. I have a stout bottom end because this thing is going to end up spinning well past 7500, probably over 8k at its peak. The top end is essentially the indy 440-1 kit you can buy direct from indy. Some of my stuff is homemade like the intake and valve covers and spray bar oil system- obvious in the pics. Cam specs on the card 1 post up. Exhaust is the tti step headers, 2 to 2 1/8 step headers into 3.5 collectors. They are big, but they clear everything. I didnt dyno it but im expecting low 10s in the 130 mph range. Better when i change intakes down the road. Probably upper 600s as is, over 700 with a good intake. But thats my estimate
I have no track data to back those numbers up yet.

heyoldguy

Well that ought to be a fun street ride. But yeah, not recommended for most folks. I would also suspicion it will want more than 18 degrees initial.

firefighter3931

Geez Joe....that is a monster cam for a 440 ! That one is 20* bigger (@.050) than the one in my 572  :o

I'm guessing that it's going to want at least a 5500 stall  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: heyoldguy on May 07, 2017, 07:51:02 AM
I would also suspicion it will want more than 18 degrees initial.

I agree with Jim....you should have no problem locking it out. Mine is locked out and starts fine...even when hot.  :2thumbs:

I bet you're anxious for some shakedown drives  :drive:

Ron

BSB67

Cool.  What is your cranking cylinder pressure?  Probably not that high.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Im not going to run it locked out, tried that in the 426 with the same size cam and it got mad when hot. i will have to swap bushings and springs and adjust the curve once i figure out what fuel i will be running, im guessing i will be around 25 initial and total will depend on what fuel i use. If i stick with the c12 i bet it will make peak power at 40. I have an 8" converter that should flash at 6200. Russ, havnt done a compression test but im expecting upper 190s to low 200s.

firefighter3931

I'd be surprised if the cranking compression was that high  :scratchchin:

As for the timing ; the "if it were mine" answer would be to install one light spring on the advance weights to get it up on the curve as quick as possible. That should alleviate the hard start issue. From my experience with a few closed chamber aluminum head builds on the dyno is that 34-35* total was the sweet spot. The E-head 446 made peak power at 35* and the Indy headed 572 liked 34*. Both distributors locked out. Granted neither of those were above 11:1 static so that is certainly a contributing factor.  ;)

What kind of ET are you looking for with this combo ?

Ron

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 09, 2017, 03:21:10 PM
I'd be surprised if the cranking compression was that high  :scratchchin:

As for the timing ; the "if it were mine" answer would be to install one light spring on the advance weights to get it up on the curve as quick as possible. That should alleviate the hard start issue. From my experience with a few closed chamber aluminum head builds on the dyno is that 34-35* total was the sweet spot. The E-head 446 made peak power at 35* and the Indy headed 572 liked 34*. Both distributors locked out. Granted neither of those were above 11:1 static so that is certainly a contributing factor.  ;)

What kind of ET are you looking for with this combo ?

Ron

That distributor setting is what i did on the 426 max wedge. Allows it to start up with less timing and its nearly advanced at idle speed. The car is on the origonal, unrestored suspension at the moment.... so i expect horrible ets.  I also dont have a cage in it this season so i only get 1 shot. The plan is a couple 60 foot launches to see how hard i can bring it out and then let it fly and see what happens. On suspension, im shooting for low 10s without a problem. My car is a pig. Im going to scale it possibly next weekend.