News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

*UPDATE* 68 Charger R/T Finally it's HOME!!! Pic's 5/1/06

Started by 4402tuff4u, April 25, 2006, 06:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

I think I'm in the same boat as a few members here when being told by their body guy that the Charger will be ready "next week". Oh well at this point in time all I really want is that the the car will be completely finished and done right! I called him yesterday morning and he said he would be working late and if I wanted I could stop by to take a look at the organisol paint blackout on the tail panel. He said I could install the trim if I wanted. So, after work I got home and polished/buffed the left side "C" trim piece I got from Phoenix, had dinner and headed to the shop with trim and restored tail lights. I was there until 9:30 pm working on the Charger while he was working on a 66 Vette. He told me that Friday I could plan to pick it up. He still has some more sanding and polishing work left to do that he would take care the next two days. Paint the trunk again since he removed and replaced the old sealing compound and some minor hood alignment adjustments to do.  :boogie:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

4402tuff4u

two more......

4402tuff4u

Not looking forward in changing the fuel and brake lines in my small garage, especially with rail connectors in the way!! :scared: :scared:

Troy

That's looking really good! Inspirational for me at least. That turquoise engine looks a lot better in there with the bronze than an orange one I think.

Just FYI - that little lip on the bottom of the grill that sits behind the bumper should be painted black. Don't forget the rad support black out too. :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Troy on April 25, 2006, 01:38:19 PM
That's looking really good! Inspirational for me at least. That turquoise engine looks a lot better in there with the bronze than an orange one I think.

Just FYI - that little lip on the bottom of the grill that sits behind the bumper should be painted black. Don't forget the rad support black out too. :P

Troy

Hi Troy. You are talking about the plastic grill section (whole length) that extends underneath the bumper? From the bottom chrome piece down? Any specific area where the black starts? From where the chrome ends down? I learn something new every day! Did'nt realize that - have to go back and look at the before pictures. Thanks Troy! small detail that sure will make a difference. :thumbs:

Yep! the body guy said he was going black out the rad bulkhead.

terrible one

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on April 25, 2006, 01:48:38 PM
Quote from: Troy on April 25, 2006, 01:38:19 PM

Troy

Hi Troy. You are talking about the plastic grill section (whole length) that extends underneath the bumper? From the bottom chrome piece down? Any specific area where the black starts? From where the chrome ends down? I learn something new every day! Did'nt realize that - have to go back and look at the before pictures. Thanks Troy! small detail that sure will make a difference. :thumbs:

Yep! the body guy said he was going black out the rad bulkhead.

I'm sure you know by now, but this is the part of the grill taht should be black:

Troy

I'm on the way to my garage - I'm sure one of my grills still has the black on it so I can get a pic. It's in the location that terrible one highlighted there. It should be from the trim down so the line will be behind the trim like the tailpanel.

UPDATE: here's some pics I was able to get. Basically you just run a line down the middle where the trim is. The entire grill is black except the surround and the vertical bars.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

4402tuff4u

Thanks Troy for the photo's. Once I get the Charger home I'll remove the grill assembly and paint it black as shown. I looked at my restoration photos and the whole backside of the grill is black except for that front section. However, the "before" photos do show the front bottom section black - my bad! Oh well, I dont want to give my body guy another reason to keep it any longer, I'll wait til she's home. Thanks again guys for the info and Troy for the photos. :thumbs:

Shakey

Car looks great Mike.

You must be excited!

Well done.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Shakey on April 26, 2006, 06:40:08 AM
Car looks great Mike.

You must be excited!

Well done.

Thanks! Yep, exited I'am. It's been almost a year. May 15 will be a year that Kevin has had the Charger. I'm very pleased on the work he has done. He did the trunk lid and right fender twice cause he did not like he way it looked - to be honest, I really did not see the imperfection in the right fender, but I did see it in the trunk lid, so he does care how the car looks. I just found out the other night that in the Fall, he's going to have a car show in his lot of all the Vette's and hot rods he has done. He's trying to get a local radio station to get involved. He wants the Charger there. I told him no problem.....also told him to keep the plastic vettes away from the Charger! They are not worthy to be seen next to a Charger!!! :yesnod: :D  He laughed. (actually the vettes he's working on are coming out pretty sharp)

PocketThunder

Damn Dude!!   :o   Can you do the line work in his shop with it on the hoist?

My engine color looks lighter than yours.  :scratchchin:  It does look better with Turquoise vs Orange in a Bronze engine bay.  Here is my block.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10166.msg146968.html#msg146968

Do you have any extra trim for the tail light panel?  I need the end pieces for my 68.  Driver quality is fine.  and i need the R/T for the front and back, do you have an extra one of those?

thanks

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

4402tuff4u

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 26, 2006, 09:46:41 AM

My engine color looks lighter than yours.  :scratchchin:  It does look better with Turquoise vs Orange in a Bronze engine bay.  Here is my block.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10166.msg146968.html#msg146968

Do you have any extra trim for the tail light panel?  I need the end pieces for my 68.  Driver quality is fine.  and i need the R/T for the front and back, do you have an extra one of those?

thanks

Paul
in St. Paul

Paul, I have the passenger "C" trim piece I dont need - it's in decent shape!. I dont have the long bottom piece. Wow, your color does look lighter and different tone - very nice job. You put the engine together yourself? I admire you - no way would I do that. I'm convinced that every paint company has it's own version. I have a friend of mine that has a 68 and his engine paint looks different too. The paint I bought was manufactured by VHP "Chrysler Turquoise", the box the paint came in looked very old full of dust and looked like it was sitting for awhile. I wonder if my paint looks different from age?????

I did mentioned to him that I was going to have a nightmare in installing the lines hoping he was going to say "why dont you do them here?". If I do ask him straight out, he's probably will want to do them himself @ $75/hr. I'll get them done. I'm planning on setting the Charger off the ground as high as I can in my garage with safety blocks and go at it. I'll get it done. I need the car high anyway to install the gas tank and exhaust system too. Got the TTI "X" system just this week just one word to describe it - AWESOME! I was wondering if I should paint them before installing for added protection.

Shakey

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on April 26, 2006, 10:12:08 AM

thanks

Paul
in St. Paul

Paul, I have the passenger "C" trim piece I dont need - it's in decent shape!. I dont have the long bottom piece. Wow, your color does look lighter and different tone - very nice job. You put the engine together yourself? I admire you - no way would I do that. I'm convinced that every paint company has it's own version. I have a friend of mine that has a 68 and his engine paint looks different too. The paint I bought was manufactured by VHP "Chrysler Turquoise", the box the paint came in looked very old full of dust and looked like it was sitting for awhile. I wonder if my paint looks different from age?????

I did mentioned to him that I was going to have a nightmare in installing the lines hoping he was going to say "why dont you do them here?". If I do ask him straight out, he's probably will want to do them himself @ $75/hr. I'll get them done. I'm planning on setting the Charger off the ground as high as I can in my garage with safety blocks and go at it. I'll get it done. I need the car high anyway to install the gas tank and exhaust system too. Got the TTI "X" system just this week just one word to describe it - AWESOME! I was wondering if I should paint them before installing for added protection.

Hey Mike,

You won't need to get the car too high off the ground to install the exhaust system and the fuel & brake lines.  Just make sure it is stable and on the proper stands.  Spend the $$ and get some solid stands and a creeper.

Attached is a link to my exhaust install which shows the car sitting on the stands.  This car has been on these stands since October and has not yet touched the ground.  I put the fuel lines on already and the brake lines are scheduled to go on soon.  I also did the leaf springs and the rear differential, never adjusted the height.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4835.0.html

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Shakey on April 26, 2006, 11:26:32 AM
Quote from: 4402tuff4u on April 26, 2006, 10:12:08 AM

thanks

Paul
in St. Paul

Hey Mike,

You won't need to get the car too high off the ground to install the exhaust system and the fuel & brake lines.  Just make sure it is stable and on the proper stands.  Spend the $$ and get some solid stands and a creeper.

Attached is a link to my exhaust install which shows the car sitting on the stands.  This car has been on these stands since October and has not yet touched the ground.  I put the fuel lines on already and the brake lines are scheduled to go on soon.  I also did the leaf springs and the rear differential, never adjusted the height.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4835.0.html

Mike, I was not concern with the exhaust installation - the exhaust is going to be a piece of cake. The rail connectors are very close to where the brake lines and fuel lines go. These lines are pre-bent and are stainless steel, so manipulation of the lines to get all the bends through the access hole and to their proper location will be a significant task. The rail connectors are next to the hole where these lines go and plus the rail connectors have only 1" of space between the floor pan and rail connector where the lines go through. It's not going to be easy. I might have to splice lines!!! Yikes! :rotz:

Dennis K

I have an extra one of the long trim pieces that goes between the tail lights. I put in on ebay once with an opening bid of $10, but at the time there was about a dozen of them for sale at the same time, so mine never got a bid. If you cover the cost of a piece of PVC pipe and postage, I'll mail it to you. Let me know if you're interested. BTW, your car looks fantastic. Mine is in the body shop now, and my body guy also said it would take about a year. It's been 6 months now, and it's going to be the same color as yours. Ok, I just re-read the posts above and I get it now. Neither of you guys need the long piece of trim between the tail lights, but if anyone who reads this does, let me know

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Dennis K on April 26, 2006, 05:21:16 PM
I have an extra one of the long trim pieces that goes between the tail lights. I put in on ebay once with an opening bid of $10, but at the time there was about a dozen of them for sale at the same time, so mine never got a bid. If you cover the cost of a piece of PVC pipe and postage, I'll mail it to you. Let me know if you're interested. BTW, your car looks fantastic. Mine is in the body shop now, and my body guy also said it would take about a year. It's been 6 months now, and it's going to be the same color as yours. Ok, I just re-read the posts above and I get it now. Neither of you guys need the long piece of trim between the tail lights, but if anyone who reads this does, let me know

I think Pocket Thunder (Paul) does need that long piece too. I'm waiting for his reply too. If he needs the "C" piece I'll send it to him.

PocketThunder

Another guy sent me a message saying he might have both sides so i'm waiting to hear back from him.  I just need the C pieces and one piece under the taillights.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

4402tuff4u

Paul, if you want the right "C" it's yours bud - Rememeber I owe you one. Let me know and it'll be in the mail.  :yesnod:

hemi68charger

Lookin' great !!!  Mine's been gone for 4 years, so I feel your pain and can't wait to feel your joy !!!!

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

4402tuff4u

Picked up the Charger this Saturday!!! Yaaaaahoooooo! :boogie: Finally it was completed. The photo shows my daughters and I (two girls next to me) with two of my daughters friends on Friday doing the last inspection of the body work and paint job. I found a few clear coat drips that he took care of on Saturday morning. To my surprise, he also painted the bottom section of the grill after he over heard me talking to a friend on the phone regarding the fact that I had to paint it black when I got home. Thanks for Troy's keen eye in spotting that detail and other for providing the details.

When I got home on Saturday, I was surprised big time. My wife had a major homecoming celebration going on at home with friends and neighbors over waiting for me to get home. I had no clue she was going to do that. I was tired from working all day, but it was very nice to see everyone exited for me. She had my next door  neighbors (Joe & his family- owner of 71 Cuda), friends, and family members toasting with champagne, balloons tied to the trees and music blasting. I even saw people driving by and stopping to check out the Charger. I have to get a picture off my wife's camera to show you guys.

Kevin of Millennium has asked me to bring back the Charger in late summer/fall to re-buff the Charger. He said that the paint/clear coat takes a while to cure and solvents to evaporate. He wants to give it another buffing. I personally dont think it needs it, but I'll follow his instructions.

Sunday after church I worked on the Charger all day. My wife took the kids to a horse show at our local coliseum, so I had the whole day to work on it!!!! I was surprised to get the stainless steel fuel lines and brake lines installed with not too much trouble. I had visions of splicing due to the rail connectors, however, I little manipulation and force as suggested - bingo they went in with no problem!! I even got the gas tank in. I'll post photo's tomorrow.

I have to thank this message board and members here for the technical support and assistance on this paint/body restoration phase of the Charger. I also have to thank ChrycoPsycho (Neil) personally for his awesome help/assistance in rebuilding my 440. Always there to answer any questions, offer suggestions and sharing of his knowledge. Others did help too, but it would take me awhile to list you. Thanks again. :cheers:     

Shakey

Car looks great Mike.

Your Wife sounds like a pretty cool gal!

Keep the progress pics coming.

Mfr426

Hey Mike, my buddy has a 68 RT (original) just like that. He's in Reading PA. I think you DO know him? Steve Yetzer? He just sent me pics of YOUR car the other day.

We did his engine bay in my garage and then we shot my engine bay (a few times) with his help. Steve's a great guy and I've known him for about 10 years. We did his motor in his 68 (numbers matching) a few years ago to Christian my garage.

I'd bet you are the same "Mike".

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger SE

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Mfr426 on May 01, 2006, 12:44:03 PM
Hey Mike, my buddy has a 68 RT (original) just like that. He's in Reading PA. I think you DO know him? Steve Yetzer? He just sent me pics of YOUR car the other day.

We did his engine bay in my garage and then we shot my engine bay (a few times) with his help. Steve's a great guy and I've known him for about 10 years. We did his motor in his 68 (numbers matching) a few years ago to Christian my garage.

I'd bet you are the same "Mike".

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger SE

That's me!! Yes, Steve is a great guy. Very knowledgable and friendly, helpful - awesome guy. He just told me the bad news about his father the other day. I feel so bad for him. Told him I would pray for him and his family.  10-4,  he's got the same Charger as mine, but no A/C. I thought you were his friend in Reading, PA, and I asked him several times but he was'nt sure if you were here on the message board. I asked him to join here several times. He knows his stuff about these Chargers. Did he ever get his transmission squared away?

Thanks guys for all the compliments!

Mfr426

No I dont think his trans issue is fixed yet. He asked me for help to pull it out in the near future. We did the same for mine about 2 months ago. It was in and out in about 2 hours.

Right now he's pretty bummed about his Dad understandably so.

He never mentioned me? That's odd, he has a picture of me in his car!!! LOL.

Paint looks great. Steve is going to be jealous!