News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what should timing be

Started by generalB, July 01, 2017, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

generalB

i have a 68 charger with a 440 in it. i think its from the 70s it is a hp block.  i use a edelbrock carb..   i attached a pic of the timing tab i have.  where on the tab should i be.   right now its about a inch and a half below tab and its running ok.       when i turn the dist to advance it it stalls anywhwere near 5 degrees btc. where the spec a chilton manual tells me....  iam also wondering if my balancer has spun, i have had that happen on  a gm 350.

johnnycharger

68CoronetRT

If you are getting close to that mark then you are at 5 degrees BTDC and that's why it's stalling. 1.5" below that is like 15-25 degrees of advance. Your not advancing the dist, your retarding it. You turn the dist CCW for retarding and CW to advance. Always remember "rotation retarded" in any motor. Which ever way the motor spins, you rotate the dist in that direction and that retards it.

Need a dial back timing light to see exactly where your timing is set. It is possible the balancer ring has slipped too.