News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hard to get to rust.

Started by 700HPCharger, April 25, 2006, 11:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

700HPCharger

I have been doing some work on the sheetmetal since the 1/4 is off. I have notieced that up inside the inner structure of the sail panels and all that bracing that there is some rust, I have been using rust encapsulater on everything else that I can reach because I can really prep the metal, up there there is no way to reach it really, I already sprayed some rust encapsulator up in on it, but wasn't able to prep it like the directions state, I was just curious as to what you guys do? I have seen some very nice cars that have rust in these areas, there has got to be something I can do with it...

bull

Not really, sad to say. You can get what you can but it's nearly impossible to get to all the little nooks and crannies. Car makers back then just plain didn't protect the metal like they should have because they were built cheaply and quickly and weren't meant to last five years, let alone 35 years. If it's any consolation I'm sure 95% of the million-dollar Hemi show cars out there have some rust is some small space no one will ever see. Short of stripping every non-metal part off the car and having it dipped in acid and then epoxy there's no way you're going to get it all taken care of. But then a small amount of surface rust hidden inside the sail panel supports isn't going to rot the car out anytime soon. The world will probably end before you'll have to worry about it.

700HPCharger

I was thinking that being able to get everything was going to be impossible, I was thinking of some sort of rust disolver or converter to spray before I put rust encapsulator, any ideas? Most of them need some sort of prep work or specail removal precedures, in these areas that is near impossible. Thanks for the reply :2thumbs:

blackcrowe

hey like bull says ..dont worry bout it--we'll be in a box long before ---jus do what ya can

even if it does rust out, its only metal --jus piece another bit in :icon_smile_wink:

mopar_madman

I use a product called zero rust ( its a paint over rust product) But its available in aerosol cans. So I spray up in the areas with a acid metal prep to nuetralize what i can. Then I take the spray can and pull the nozzle off and replace it with one that takes the long stem. (like WD 40 type nozzle) and spray up in the cracks and areas I can't brush. You can also get some cavity wax to spray in those areas. It applies witha pump type sprayer. Like the other guys said just do your best, most of out cars aren't as exposed to weather like they once were so that slows down corrosion , we should all be gone by then ;)
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

dodge freak

Yes I agree, I notice after I turn 40 that my car- as long as it does not hit anything- will  last longer than I will.  Its really to bad and sad to think about. Even if I last till I am in my 80s or 90s am I going to want to drive it? I would think my back or something else would rather be in a nice new Buick. Sometimes I wonder why I store it at winter time, should just drive it and just get another one while I still can, but I keep storing it every winter :-\

mikepmcs

also a product called one-step comes in aero as well. I used it on a 68 Firebird I was restoring back to original(my ex fiance's car in her family since 1968, so take it easy)
anyways one of the parts that i sprayed sat for 2 years while i was doing other stuff and it never rusted a bit.

purchase at local auto store$3.00
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

700HPCharger

Thanks for the reply's guys...I was thinking about the rust nutralizer, but everyone I found says that I need to wipe away excess...kinda hard to do up in there.

mikepmcs

don't need to wipe away excess if you are talking about the junk that's in there(you don't need to do anything but spray over the existing rust).  if you are talking about wiping away excess over spray just protect the area surrounding it best you can.  I had the same issue on the firebird but taped the crap out of everything and it worked out fine.
good luck
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

700HPCharger

I was thinking about using this stuf http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=15974&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=379&iSubCat=380&iProductID=15974 and then going over it with rust encapsulator, what do you guys think? I just figure since the thing is stripped I might as well do what I can...