News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting the engine compartment

Started by toqwik, April 26, 2006, 01:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toqwik

My car, 68 Charger, is far from ready for paint, but I would like to go ahead and paint the engine bay so I can start reassembling my car.  Where is the best place to tape it off near the tops of the fenders and the cowl as to not have a line left when the body gets painted?

Recharger

I don't have any really good pictures for you, but there's a bit of an obvious seam between the fenders and front clip that would make for a decent tape-off point.  Also, there's a lip along the cowl that you could tape off too.  Paint up to the bottom edge of it when you do the engine bay, then when you do the rest of the body you can paint the cowl and the top part of that lip.  Just my  :Twocents:

mopar_madman

are you removing the fenders? If not just cut in all the way up to the top, If you are removing them I would paint the compartment then and cut the fenders in off the car.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

toqwik

mopar_madman

just tape off what you don't want painted at the cowl, If there's a line it should get smothed down during final sanding and it can be taped off to give a soft edge when the body is shot so the transition between the jamb and the top will be line free.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger