News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct Fuel Pump - '69 440 w/ 3/8" Fuel Line

Started by Shakey, April 27, 2006, 01:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I was trying to install a fuel vapor seperator and connect all of my fuel lines on Tuesday and now think I have an incorrect fuel pump on my engine. 

The 3/8" piece of rubber hose that connects the main 3/8" fuel line from the tank was too large for the fuel pump fitting/nipple and I had to use a piece of 5/16" hose instead.

Will this affect performance?

Do I have an incorrect fuel pump on there?

Where do I find the correct fuel pump?

Still offered by Mopar or do I have to / should I go aftermarket?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Any pics of the correct fuel pump would also be helpfull.

Thanks.

Mfr426

I think all 440 and 426 motors have 3/8" fuel lines for the larger fuel requirements. I ran into a similar problem with my car. I ended up putting a 383 pump for my girlie little 383 instead.

firefighter3931

Mike,

MP still offers a repro hemi fuel pump that has 80gph of flow and can be used with a 3/8 in fuel line. I like the Carter "street pump" which is a high volume, low pressure unit that is internally regulated at 6psi so there's no need for an external regulator. The Carter pump also flows 120 gph which is more than you'd ever need....no worries of fuel starvation or the motor running lean at high rpm. I've run this pump on several motors and it's sitting on my E-head 446 that's going into the 68 R/T.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemigeno

Shakey,

The correct pump is the Carter 4434 or M4434.  It throws most people off, since the inlet is indeed a 5/16" rather than a 3/8".

Chrysler ran a 5/16" fuel line up to the front of the engine, and they used an 11/32" braided hose to go between the fuel line and the fuel sending unit.  That splits the difference between the two sizes.  You kinda have to cram the braided rubber hose onto the metal fuel line stub of the sending unit, but it does go on.

I picked up a NOS 4434 fuel pump off of eBay about 6 months ago, because the seller was convinced he had the wrong pump due to the 5/16" inlet size.  I also bought a rebuilt pump from Valley Vintage (IIRC).

Here are some pics of my pump:

Shakey

Thanks for the help guys.

I now realize that I am OK with what I have.  Perhaps in the future I will try and source the correct fuel pump however I will continue to use the new one that came with car.  I now also know that I can get a Carter Street pump if need be.

I found it odd that a 3/8" fuel line would be offered on the 440 only to have it run through a 11/32" or in my case a 5/16" hose at the pump and then another 5/16" line to the carburator.

While I am here - should I use a 11/32" hose or will the 5/16" do?  It seems to fit OK - what about performance?  Any issues with that?

firefighter3931

Mike, just try it out and see how it runs. You can allways upgrade to the carter if fuel starvation becomes a problem. It would be nice to know the gpm rating on that pump though.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs