News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

front bumper removal on 69 charger

Started by darkside, April 27, 2006, 08:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkside

Going  to put a new front  goodmark bumper on my charger  and before i tackle this  whats the best way?Do you haft to remove the front valance to get the front bumper off on a 69 charger?

Winged 1

;)
Don't have to but it sure makes getting to the bolts alot easier.....

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes, definately remove the front lower valance......unless you like to scratch paint & curse a lot!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

MOPARHOUND!

Did this last month.

Yes, remove the valance. 

And be careful that the bumper doesn't chip/break the grille at the bottom, especially the "dog ears" at the lower corners at each end of the grille assembly.  They are fragile.

Will you be pulling the bumper brackets to paint/clean them?

The bracket to frame rail bolts can be a real challenge.   I've got one bolt broke off in the frame rail, was that way when I bought the car.  On the others, I used a bunch of rust-buster spray, spraying it from several angles, using the little plastic tube the can came with, through the factory holes in the frame rail.  Air tool power would be ideal with the vibration they provide, but I used a 24" breaker bar. 

(And if anyone has a bumper to fender bracket for the outermost bumper bolt, I could use one.)
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

mikepmcs

use PB Blaster(local auto store)  that is the best stuff i've ever seen for getting rusty old stuff apart.
Just let her soak a few hours and you should be pleasantly surprised.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

terrible one

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 28, 2006, 11:27:01 AM
use PB Blaster(local auto store)  that is the best stuff i've ever seen for getting rusty old stuff apart.
Just let her soak a few hours and you should be pleasantly surprised.

I agree! I love PB! (haha that rhymed)

Bandit4142

I love PB as well!  If you can't get it loose with PB, you might as well grab a torch!  :)
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold