News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 gas pedal question

Started by derailed, April 27, 2006, 10:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derailed

I just put a new rug in the car today and installed the gas pedal the same way it was in before with the old rug. my question is does the base of the pedal sit above the carpet exposed or are you suppose to notch the carpet out like I did and bury the base so just the pedal shows? Ive looked at pics of some cars on ebay and they seem to have both  ??? Im pretty sure I had the original rug in my car.     

Recharger

I believe the base is supposed to sit exposed above the carpet, and technically I think it should sit on the edge of the plastic heelpad area, not the carpet itself...  I don't actually have any pictures of how mine was set up, but maybe someone else will have some reference shots for you.

derailed

I know the base sits just forward of the heel pad area. If I have to change it at least the base should sit on the notch I made so it wont show. Its amazing how many cars on ebay have no gas pedal if you look closely in the pics  ???

JimShine

derailed

Thanks for the pic Jimshine, looks like ill have some adjustments to make tomorow. I cut the notch just in front of the hell pad. With any luck the pedal base will cover it up.

Neal_J

The factory installation was through a hole cut in the heel pad, not through the carpet.  The rectangle was centered in the unribbed top portion of the heel pad.

Neal

derailed

purple70rt

just put new carpet in my 70, it was not on the heel pad, I don't think any 68 - 70 I have fooled with have been that way.  I used a cheap soldering iron and used it to push through the holes. works great and no fraying carpet. Just my  :Twocents: . not saying some were not in the heel pad.

purple70rt

Looks like in the pics of the one shown it's on the heel pad though, gotta go check now!!!!! ???

derailed

I used the tip of my test light to poke a hole through the rug and opened it up a bit with a screwdriver. Seemed to work good.

8WHEELER

I went through hell getting the new ACC carpet to line up correctly as the original did.
The new carpets seem to be made so that the gas pedal goes just above the heal pad, witch
was not the way it came from the factory ''at least in 68''. So I pulled my carpet as far
forward as possible to get the pedal in the correct position. But now there is only about
a 1/2in overlap of the two carpets, but it is under the seat and not very noticeable.

Here is another original 68 carpet.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

derailed

Dan, I know what you mean about the ACC carpets being way off in the front. Seems like you have to trim a bunch off the front by the firewall and they dont give you much in the back. Guess I either have to live with mine or drop $135 on another, to bad because the rest came out great. Thanks for the pic

JimShine

The 'other brand" (can't remember the name now, but they are the slightly cheaper ones you see on eBay) are off too. Tons and tons of excess material goes up the firewall and you get a small overlap under the seats.