News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Refinishing steering column pieces

Started by Recharger, August 11, 2005, 07:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recharger

My turn signal lever, shifter (auto on column) and the metal of my woodgrain steering wheel are all showing some rust/corrosion and I’d like to refinish them.  Anyone done this before?  Is it best just to seal and repaint?  If so what brand & color paint did you use?  I’ve heard some people mention that repainting these pieces usually doesn’t look right.  Is there a better method?  If anyone has any firsthand experience, suggestions or pics I’d appreciate the input.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Usually a light buffing with 0000 extra fine steel wool will take off the light rust & oxidation on these pieces
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Drop Top

6T9 Is right. 0000 is all you can do, short of having everything replated. I just want to suggest tapping off the woodgrain part of the steering wheel with masking tape before using the steal wool. One more tip try using a good metal polish with the steal wool. Like Blue Magic.

Recharger

Thanks for the info guys.   You mentioned replating...how would it be "replated?"   These parts always seemed to have a satin finish...can that be accomplished through plating??   Regardless, I'm just looking to freshen up my trim, not win concourse awards, so I probably won't be shelling out $$$ for replating.   Just curious about what is "correct."   Always good to know that, IMO, whether you're trying to be correct or not.

Meanwhile, I'll get my hands on some steel wool & polish and get to work (eventually)  

Drop Top

Usually Its chrome plated and then not buffed out. To do this to the steering wheel you would have to take it apart. This is something left to the experts.

Ghoste

I'm not sure if any of the wheel refinishers will get into replating the 2nd gen style of woodgrain wheel.  Seems to me this came up on Moparts not long ago and it wasn't too encouraging.  The general consensus was that you should find the very best wheel you can from a metal point of view and not worry at all about the plastic portion.  That was the part they could fix.
OTOH, it was plated once, that means that somehow it can be done again.