News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Filling trunk pits. What do you use?

Started by bull, April 28, 2006, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Someone here a while back posted information on a type of paint or primer that fills pits such as those commonly found on our trunk floors. I can't find that information now. Can someone help me out? Maybe this one: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11819.0.html Anyway, what have you guys used that works well? I'm hesitant to use the fiberglass kit.

73chargers4404

this ant what you asked for. but on my trunk  i used the seam sealer POR-15 makes and just filled in the pits with that and sprayed POR-15 over that .there was probley 4 or 5 small shallow pits ,that seam sealer sets up hard as a rock and they advertise it as por in a tube.

Silver R/T

I would use filler that has metal in it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar_madman

are you filling pits or holes? If the metal is just pitted you can use any filler, something like evercoat metal glaze will be easier to sand. If your filling small pin holes, filler like all metal or fiberglass strand filler should be used.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

bull

Quote from: mopar_madman on April 29, 2006, 07:20:17 AM
are you filling pits or holes? If the metal is just pitted you can use any filler, something like evercoat metal glaze will be easier to sand. If your filling small pin holes, filler like all metal or fiberglass strand filler should be used.

Mostly pits, very few holes. I was actually thinking about trying JB Weld on the holes. What do you think of that?

69 OUR/TEA

Hi bull,on my car I only had rust pits on the original trunk floor(about one square foot area),not any holes,so this is the process that I went with.First I wire wheeled the rust pitted area,then used a hand held spot sandblaster with the rubber nose on those areas to contain the sandblasting,then I used PPG's DX579 acid etch with a little wire brush(about the size of a tooth brush)to really get inside the pits,and then sanded the rest of trunk.Cleaned with wax and grease remover,then I used METAL-TO-METAL  to fill in the pits,then really smoothed everything out with evercoat glazing putty,even down in the stampings.Being only a small area,this still took a few nights to get ready.Then I primed with PPG NCP 271,because it has direct to metal adhesion and is a high build primer.Then block sanded all of that smooth,and used the same product as a sealer/primer on the whole inside of trunk,then for paint I used DBC basecoat follwed by DC3000 clear(very durable).And thats it!!!Here are a couple of pics.

bull

bill440rt

You can also use Evercoat's Feather-Fill or a similar sprayable body filler to fill in the pits. I like Standox's Spray Filler, or Spritz-Plastik. It goes on thick like a body filler, yet sands very nice. No spreader marks to sand out like body filler, either. I'd use an epoxy primer first, though.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce