News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Texture on inner quarters. What is it?

Started by bull, April 29, 2006, 11:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just wondering what that texture is made of that's on the inner part of the quarter panels? Why is it there and how did they apply it at the factory?

Dennis K

I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff they used for undercoating, except in the quarters and doors it is for sound deadening. They sprayed it on with a special type of sprayer. Year One sells the stuff and the sprayer.

69 OUR/TEA

Bingo !!,like Dennis K said,is for sound deadening.On my car,I still have all original panels,1/4's ,trunk floor,floor pans ,etc.,and all of that undercoating/sound deadener is still there and in great shape,so after the car is painted I am going to repaint the underside to make it look new again.Alot of people strip the underneath,and paint body color,that does look awesome,but if I am chosing to leave it ,as it was how this car was built,and you can't get anymore original than that.Here is a pic of the inside trunk wall so you can see how  to duplicate.

B5 Charger

Wow, that is a nice looking trunk!   ;)

mikepmcs

:iagree:   I was thinking the same thing when I saw that.  The paint in the trunk is better than the paint on my exterior. :METAL: :METAL: :METAL:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bill440rt

I used 3M's Rocker Shutz in my trunk for the sound deadener. Similar stuff. I also used a special spray gun to apply it. I probably used one can per 1/4 to get the right thickness & texture.
Tip: I used a small piece of cardboard around my marker lamp opening & up the back corner instead of masking tape to get a "factory" looking edge. Masking tape will give you too sharp of a line, but there needs to be a break-off point or you'll have a messy edge. The cardboard trick worked great.
Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce